Nautilus should be replaced with Nautilus-Typeahead

Currently... yes. But Gnome40 / GTK4 seeks to change that. Removing that same code, that same functionality from the Gnu ToolKit, itself.
Before long, no desktop will be able to offer the options... Be3cause Gnome stripped it from the toolkit, too.

NOW, do you see... Why I am So Upset by Gnome 40?By GTK4? What they actually truly did with it?
Why it is a deception?
Why I am frustrated by others unwillingness to see with eyes wide open?

Gnomes control and oppressive "style" is being forced on us ALL.

2 Likes

I truly believe QT is the way to go!

2 Likes

@Aravisian Thunar or Nemo or Dolphin?

1 Like

I use Nemo. It is a fork of Nautilus, with all functionality restored.
It comes with a lot of great features; included Nemo5 is Content Search.

Thunar is not too bad. I like it ok, but prefer Nemo. I can say the same for Caja File Manager.
I also like SpaceFM, a fork of PCmanFM.

2 Likes

Another vote for Nemo here - a great and easy file manager which can open files as root, as required.

1 Like

tbh Zorin is the only distro that makes Gnome bearable. Everything else about Gnome is absolutely horrible, it's a DE that limits you in every single way possible.

Nemo is nothing compared to Dolphin on KDE which is why I primarily am a KDE guy, I believe Zorin team should consider making a KDE edition as it's more performant and better for customization but for now, I'll stick with Zorin till I get bored and need some change :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are,by far... not the first person who has said this. To that end:

1 Like

Great tips there @rootuser and @Aravisian - that has also been bugging me; having migrated my life away from Windows for good this year and settled on Zorin it has bugged me it doesn't go to the nearest file or folder when I start typing letters.

The other annoyance I have with Nautilus is that I made full use of the ability to Bookmark popular places/folders I visit and that's great to see/use in the main pane, but I'm sure when I get the occasional Open or Save prompts from various Applications that I'll be presented with a Nautilus looking window to browse but it doesn't show any of my bookmarked folders, which is quite frustrating, it shows drives etc.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Does it only effect Flatpack or Snaps perhaps? I'd love to know! Otherwise I may go in search for a different file-manager, but I'd prefer not to have to.

1 Like

Nemo File Manager does - which is why I use it as default.:wink:
It also shows all bookmarks with easy editing of them from the Bookmarks Button on the menubar.

Oh go on... treat yourself to something nice.

sudo apt install nemo

2 Likes

haha.. well I didn't take much convincing, I might not be at my Zorin Desktop at the moment but I'm sat on a Ubuntu* laptop at the moment and I have apt installing nemo in the background as I type. I will give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation.

• This old laptop of mine had Ubuntu installed on it before I discovered Zorin OS! I prefer Zorin and have frankly found it to be more stable on a couple of different systems I use.

So minutes in I'm already falling in love with Nemo! Initial reactions: it looks/feels a bit older - and I don't care about that! I would rather have better functionality/utility and speed over form and looks.

I'm loving the dedicated buttons for selecting different view layouts (not just a button to toggle between them or a drop-down).

I'm loving the "Toggle location entry" button beside the address bar to show the full path or not.

Tree view and hiding the side-bar! Nice, nice, nice! Thank you once again!

I'm looking forward to trying this on Zorin OS when I get back to my desk, I'm hoping that other applications will know to default to it, I guess there is an area I can set it as my default file manager.

2 Likes
xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false
gsettings set org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons true

Oh ok, that's a shame that Zorin doesn't have a easy way to switch out the default File Manager.

Don't you think it would be great if they added the ability to set a Default File Manager to this Settings menu:

That is Gnome Desktop. They do not want you using other file managers.
Cheatin' on Nautilus...
On XFCE, the setting is in the Default Applications App. It's in The Default Apps on Cinnamon, too... come to think of it.

1 Like

Oh right, interesting.

So I ran all of the those commands you mentioned and it seem to go without error (not output so I assume all well). Rebooted just in case the session needed a refresh, however unfortunately if I open up: Chrome, PrusaSlicer, Cura, LycheeSlicer all of their Open & Save dialogues still seem to be defaulting back to the built-in Files/Nautilus, frustratingly some show my Bookmarks and others don't. I'm guessing that might be a side effect of some of them possibly being installed via different methods, some flatpak some not? Any pointers on getting Nemo integrated to the point whereby these third-party apps will make use of it for their open/save dialogues, or will that only be achievable if it was installed via a specific mechanism like apt / .deb?

Ah... I do not. I experience the same but the model dialogs being handled do not bother me.
Just different users that go about things in a different way.
Removing Nautilus will break the desktop because it is integrated. It is possible, but I am not willing to walk anyone through it.
But... there is an easier option which is the One I Usually Use on Zorin:

Install Cinnamon Desktop on Zorin:

sudo apt install cinnamon cinnamon-core

Or

sudo apt install cinnamon-desktop-environment

I do not know how you feel about that one. I prefer Cinnamon over Gnome. Others may not agree. But having the full desktop also fully integrates the Nemo Desktop.
And these days, you can get half (Until I make the rest) of the Zorin themes on Cinnamon:

That's a shame, I don't want to have to replace the whole desktop environment with something else due to what could arguably be a bug with the built-in file manager, but thank you for letting me know of available options.

I'll stick with it for the time being and live in hope that the Bookmarks not featuring in some Open/Save dialogues will be something that will be fixed or improved in future releases.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.