Need help creating/installing a 100GB boot partition, LUKS encrypted on a 500GB SSD

I am trying to create 100GB partition on my 500GB SSD. I am starting over again due to the serious login problem.

The instructions here in this link arent working
https://devconnected.com/how-to-encrypt-partition-on-linux/.
Here is where I'm at now. See below two screenshots. What should I do now? I want to LUKS encrypt it also.

@Aravisian , I am trying to create 100GB partition on my 500GB SSD. I am starting over again due to the serious login problem.

The instructions you gave me above/the link isnt working.
Here is where I'm at now. See below two screenshots. What should I do now? I want to LUKS encrypt it also.

You appear to be missing two crucial things. You need a plus sign (+) when specifying the size and you need a Unit. For example, if specifying a size of 110gigs:

+110G

@Aravisian , ok so i had to start the command prompt over again.
I got a different result this time, didnt even get as far.

What do i do from here?

/dev/sdb is usually a flash drive. Should that be /dev/sda?

U might be right, i only got one USB drive plugged in, its the ZorinOS liveboot, & I definitely dont want to be screwing with that. I'll try dev/sda.

Look at your Disks app. Just trying things may lead to another round...:wink:

1 Like

Okay, so now what do i do? I really need to wipe the whole SSD, but i cant figure out how, there still a bunch of partitions, bu i did reformat all of them.

You can use the Disks App to create free space from a partition.

Click the partition you want to wipe.
Now click the (-) button.
It will then show as free space.

1 Like

wow, so simple, awesome, just did it. Didnt know the (-) did that. haha

@Aravisian , now come across even more problems. It chose the partition size automatically? and it wont let me choose partition #1 like the instructions tell me to choose:

You are selecting partition 1 which is a 512megabyte size partition.
It looks like your bootloader partition, to me.

Okay, i had to delete all those partitions. And make a new one, sigh. what a headache.
It says when I type "lsblk -f" it should say "crypto_LUKS"
But it only say "crypto", it may not matter?

@Aravisian , ok, looks like i got the LUKs done/completed. When I install the ZorinOS Core into it, i guess i dont need to choose the LUKS option, because I already created an encrypted LUKS?
What would happen if i chose the LUKS option again?
Also, which partitions should i choose here?

Correct

I do not know and I would not want to find out.:wink:

/dev/mapper/cryptpart ext4

@Aravisian , another problem. sigh. :stuck_out_tongue:

When you select the drive to format, be sure to set the mount point as /

/ is root

where/when was i supposed to do that?

it should be the popover window that appears when you select your partition to write to.

1 Like

Thanks, that article is helpful. But I'm getting different results.
What should I do?