[NEED HELP] Zorin 16 pro loop crashing

Thank you again for your reply! I didn't get any freeze for a while but as soon as I get an other one or feel some lag I will try this.

But your suggestion seems pretty good, it might even be the answer to my problem.

I'll let you know!

1 Like

Sorry not sure I understood well... did you mean that I should make a fresh install of the lite version then use the commands you gave me?

Because I tried to do it on 16 pro and, while the first one worked, the second one didn't (package not found).

Sorry, I'm still a newbie and I have some other stuff in my head at the same time.

Odd... it works on mine:

Reading state information... Done
xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin is already the newest version (1.1.2).

Please try:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

sudo apt update && sudo apt install xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

Hmm... it's weird, I don't know if it worked.

First command no problem, second one seemed to work fine at first BUT at the end it says "Unable to locate package".

EDIT: 1629549831984163181053 — ImgBB

I am baffled, but ok.
Please open Software & Updates and remove the repository (to prevent conflicts or breakage).
Here is the .deb package that you can Double Click and run the installer.
https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/xfce-testing/+build/18018829/+files/xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin_1.1.2_amd64.deb

As you have Zorin OS and Zorin OS comes with the Zorin Repos already added... It should be there. The only conclusion I can reach is that the ZorinGroup - currently crafting Zorin OS 16 Lite, has that set aside.
The Repo above is the Zorin OS Stable repo that includes Bionic Packages. Which is why it is best to remove it after use for that one zorinmenu-lite package.

The above .deb should give you no problems.

Once Zorin OS Lite is Officially released, you will be able to sidestep to it by installing the Zorin OS Desktop Lite from your existing Zorin OS repository.

Sorry, could you please be specific about the repository to remove?

Otherwise I tried to install it just like that and the installation was successful but I see no change so far (?)
Am I supposed to do something after the installation?

Oh, you would need to add it to the xfce4-panel. Right click the panel, slide over to the Right Menu Arrow next to the word "Panel" and choose preferences. Go to the last tab - Items - and click the + add item button. A list will open, scroll down to Zorinmenu and click to add it. Position it however you like on the panel. You can add Separators and set them to Expand in their properties, to push items to one end or the other. Or you can Set In Place, for example if you like the app menu to be centered on the panel.

Actually I just double checked this and the Repo is Fine. I can only conclude yours is pointe exclusively to focal (Which is Ok) and the Zorin lite menu is not added to it, yet. Mine is covering bionic and focal - so I have no problem finding and installing the package.

Sorry I can't find anything you said... And I tried really hard (right click on panel, taskbar, zorin appearance, zorin dash, settings...) but I can't find anything to add a panel.

The only "Preferences" I found only concerns folder, and the last tab there is is "Search and Preview" so I don't think it's the right one...

Um... Are you using gnome or xfce?
You just described the Gnome Panel.

The above was in regards to installing XFCE desktop and using it as a stand-in for Zorin OS Lite (as pretty much the same thing).

Oh sorry, my mistake but since you did not answer directly to my previous question when I asked if I needed to reinstall zorin lite I thought I did not need to (and kinda hoped tbh).

So just to be clear: I have to reinstall zorin lite and then do what you told me to?

No...
All of the below recaps what we covered above and deals with Avoiding Reinstallation:

On Zorin OS Core - You can install XFCE4 which is the Light desktop used by Zorin OS Lite.
If you prefer LITE but are on Zorin OS 16 Core until lite is released:
You can install xfce4 on Zorin OS 16 Core with

sudo apt install xfce4

Log out- then Log In to the XFCE session, instead of the Zorin Gnome Session.
You can install and use Zorin Menu Lite on that build, as well. But you cannot add the zorinmenu lite on Gnome Panel. It is for xfce4 panel.

Once Zorin OS 16 Lite is released, you will be able to install the Official Zorin OS Lite Desktop on that Same Build of Zorin OS 16 Core, and replace the XFCE session you were using with it, just to get the fullest Zorin OS experience (Thought he differences are pretty small, really - it is still Zorin OS...).

Thank you again for your help, and sorry I hope I will get better with zorin with time as well...

But for short I think that's what I understood so far.

The only thing is when you said to "Log out- then Log In to the XFCE session" I don't see any option to login to the XFCE session. Is that normal?

When you installed xfce, did the terminal give a Pop over dialgue offering LightDM over GDM3?

If you did not install lightdm and are using GDM3 (If the login window looks the same as it did before installing xfce) then you will need to click the Username, then to the right or to the right and below- look for the Gear Icon.
Click that icon to change which desktop you are logging into.

It can be tricky on GDM3, one reason that I use sddm or LightDM.

Ah indeed, that was it!

Sadly I can't seem to login, after I enter my password there is a black screen and it goes back to login.

I guess that's what you meant by tricky....

Can you login to Zorin-Desktop
Open terminal and run:

sudo dpkg --reconfigure -a

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Then log out and try logging into XFCE again?

It works, thanks!
Doesn't seem to lag either.

So now I just have to choose my theme? Also when I will reboot my laptop will it be this desktop by default or is there a command for that?

Anyway thank you so much for your time and your help!

Any theme you want (For XFCE). The Zorin OS themes are already installed for xfce. This way you can still have the look you enjoyed on Zorin Gnome.

It will default to your last position, so if you want to log into Gnome, you will need to click the gear icon and choose it.

:slight_smile:

Just a last thing: When I try to click on zorin's appearance from the zorin button it doesn't work... is that normal?

Yes- Zorin Appearance app is for Gnome Only.
From the app menu, (I actually use Whiskermenu on XFCE... on one monitor. The other monitor has zorinmenu lite) categories side, scroll down to SETTINGS, then in the application side > "Appearance." The appearance app in xfce covers Theme, Icon theme and Fonts with DPI scaling.

Once you have selected your theme, back to the menu, Settings - only this time scroll all the way to the bottom for "Window Manager." Open the Window Manager to choose your Window Borders (Something Gnome lacks).

Haha I expected that much...
I will try what you said, thanks again!

Oh btw just tries to reboot my laptop and default is xfce desktop! :grin: