[NEED HELP] Zorin 16 pro loop crashing

Hmm...

There's still some freezes and other crashes (even worse actually, just moving the mouse around is sloooow and there is a huge delay, I thought it was normal at first because of the classic theme...facepalm) but this time I think I know where it comes from.

I tried to play a 720p h264 video while monitoring my system... and cpu was at 100% and my laptop really hot.
I already got this problem on windows, and I just downloaded the codecs and the gpu driver and it worked fine afterwards.

So knowing that is there something I can do? Maybe change the graphic drivers?

What about Fans and Cooling?
Please install psensor

sudo apt install psensor

and check your computer temps

The cpu cores are around 70°C each, temp1 is 70/80 cpu usage is 3% and memory 40%. Ssd is 50°C.

When I play a video only the cpu usages goes from 3 to 100%. Everything else is the same.

That is HIGH. You really would prefer to never go over 60 degrees c and better to avoid going over 45degress except for very short bursts - I run at about 30 degrees c max.

I think your problem may be a lack of proper cooling. That would definitely cause lag, slowness and graphics trouble.

What is your terminal output of

thermald --version

I thought so... actually my laptop is making a lot of fan noises, but when I took it to an expert he said it was nothing important, eventually the thermal paste to change but he said it didn't recommend it because it would not affect anything...

Also it was fast with w10 and zorin 15 lite.

For your question: It's 1.9.1

1 Like

WOW!

I make it a point to avoid ever talking bad about another persons mechanical suggestions or opinions.
But...
(cough)
Thermal paste is Crucial in cooling.

If the Fan Management is what is at play, Windows and Z15 may have been utilizing Better Fan Management with faster fan speeds. It is possible that the fans are going out- and the symptoms are now becoming apparent.
It is also possible that the fans are not being properly managed.
So, suggest checking Software Side- first.

Does

sudo apt install lm-sensors

Show it as installed? If not- install it and

sudo sensors-detect

follow All The Prompts to configure.

Run

sensors

Check fan speed:

sensors | grep -i fan

after this... I forget. Im gonna have to look it up,
hang on..

Sorry I hope it's readable...

Optimistic machine... high 100? Wanna sell it? :smiley:
Also this can help a lot, too:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install tlp tlp-rdw

Yeah I smirked at the high 100 too :stuck_out_tongue:

Trying the commands brb.

EDIT: The command was successful. Not sure what it did but apparently now when playing a video CPU usage is still low. (Not 100% sure tho because it froze after a moment again :stuck_out_tongue: )

EDIT 2: After an other hard reboot it seems the cpu usage is still rather high, even if slightly less... (wow and for just a second the temp went up to 98°C!!!)

EDIT 3: After some time the fans started to calm down and now cpu is around 60°C

1 Like

So apparently normal temperature is lower now (~65°C) but if I play a video or open my browser the cpu usage goes to 100% and temp 80°C.

I think this may bring us back to here...

Do you get any output of

nvidia-settings

are you able to disable Nvidia and test?

Nothing, terminal says not found but can be installed. Should I?

sudo apt install nvidia-settings

:slight_smile:

Done :slight_smile:
What's next?

I have no idea. :expressionless:

I have never actually used Nvidia Card on a Linux distro. The only thing I do know is that in the Nvidia Settings, somehow, you can turn the Nvidia card off - or set it to not come on...

Would like to test if the Intel dedicated graphics shows the same symptoms with no Nvidia interference.
The only other way to be sure would be to

sudo apt remove --purge nvidia*

Then reinstall with:

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

edit: I think

prime-select query

Used to show which card you are using - not sure if it still does or requires nvidia prime or ---
Then select card with

sudo prime-select intel

or

sudo prime-select nvidia

Done, at the end it says: Info: the nvidia profile is already set.

After a logout everything seems a bit smoother and the video only takes 80% of the cpu now, so does brave.

I agree that is an improvement; I would have preferred to see cpu usage around 40%...
However, what you describe may be on par with the specs for that machine:

Yes I think it's better than before as well. (Even if cpu rises at 90°C when playing a video -still 60 in normal conditions - at least there's no more freezes and the overall system is way more responsive).

Well I guess there's no escape, I will need to ask the "expert" I know to put some cooling on the cpu when I will get the funds (he told me it was rather expensive because there's a need to remove everything).

Oh btw stupid question but if I try to boot again on the old desktop will the changes be applied on it as well?

There is.
I've done it many times. But... if you are adventurous - and believe in yourself - you can do it. If you take the time to absorb some guides and check the specs- you can absolutely handle doing so. If you want. Someday.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I will try to see a tutorial on YouTube and if I feel like it I will try to do it myself.

Anyway software-wise I guess that's the best we can do. Thank you SO MUCH for your help. You really helped me to understand and solve my problems.

Should I mark my problem as solved?

1 Like