Network Manager not running

My -sudo lshw- shows network DISABLED

Network Manager is not running.

This is what happened:
Wifi was disconnecting intermittently. So I looked up here and changed power saver location from 3 to 2. But after reboot, wifi is gone and network is Disabled. I changed it back to 3 but no use. Completely disconnected from internet as I cannot connect through even mobile tethering. Cannot do software update.

Wireless Network Adaptor is BCM 4313 802.11 bgn

Can't get to F2/F12 UEFI/BIOS to change firmware as zorin keeps booting from all options.

What to do? Please help

Do you have access to an Ethernet connection, or USB tether to your phone?

I've found the best way for the Broadcom 43xx devices is to install firmware-b43-installer and b43-fwcutter to get going. I just actually got a BCM4311 going tonight on ZorinOS 15 32-bit!

Make sure you uninstall the bcmwl-kernel-source if installed before installing the other two above, and run an apt autoremove to remove residual. As sudo, of course..

1 Like

Thanks. Shall do a search. But USB tethering not possible as it just won't recognise. No way to connect to internet perhaps because network disabled.

1 Like

Is Airplane mode enabled by chance?

On the laptop I got going with Zorin 15 - the installer did install the bcmwl STA driver, preventing the 4311 device from being activated - would show enabled in BIOS, no change with Fn+F2 as on the device to turn on / off the adapter. After I uninstalled the STA one, the driver came right up with a reboot; autoremove took out dkms residuals with it. Actually had to do the same with an older MacBook 13'.

May be blacklisted - you can check /etc/modprobe.d - there may be an entry in one of the .confs that's holding you back. If you find it, you can uncomment (# at the beginning of the line) the line that's blacklisting it - and hopefully, will come alive! But, with the driver..

Have you checked to see if either bcmwl-kernel-source or broadcom-sta-common are installed? You can use apt list --installed but will show the full list of installed packages, make sure 'unlimited' scrolling is enabled in terminal first - or, apt search broadcom and will show you the list of packages pertaining to Broadcom. If you see either of the two packages above, it will have a [installed] flag in the description.

Don't feel bad at all - I was bashing my head against the wall trying to get an internal WiFi device working that was registering as a USB adapter :person_facepalming: Finally got it - but after a few concussions :rofl: jk - don't bash anything..

If there's not a blacklisting for it - there has to be a driver butting-in and trying to take control.. :thinking:

sudo /etc/modprobe.d

can you please explain the command to check here. It says command not found for above.

Another thing I noticed is one shift key is disabled recently. I can't use <> in terminal. For text also, I cannot use shift key instead of capslk.

Recently happened

1 Like

Yes, they are listed as in pic above when I search for Broadcom.

I can't see " installed ", though.

I was connecting till last week, so drivers cannot disappear.

What to do? Shall I backup and reinstall zorin (this is xfce) from scratch ?

In fact, if these sort of issues are there, I wouldn't have loaded Zorin. But it was running nicely until I thought I can use wifi directly. I should have sticked to tethering Mobile.

:frowning:

1 Like

Hmm. The caps lock hopefully isn't going to be an issue..

I see the other drivers aren't installed - that's a good thing, b43 firmware is picky..

Copy and paste this: sudo apt install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter and let that run - it will ask for your password, enter the pw and let it complete - reboot. That's the firmware for BCM43XX hardware - so far, that's the only way I've been getting BCM43 devices to even come alive.

If that doesn't work, we can look at the blacklists - within /etc/modprobe.d <-- that's the path, / is the root of your SSD/HDD, etc is a folder, modprobe.d is also a folder - but within the modprobe.d folder there are text files labeled something.conf. These .conf files will have devices and hardware listed in them, that will disable the devices altogether from the system, on boot. If the above driver install doesn't work, we can take a look through those .conf files to see if it is in fact being blacklisted - at that point we can comment out - meaning to disable the active text. Example: #somehardware <- 'somehardware' is being commented out | if we remove the # from the beginning of that line, it will make 'somehardware' active on boot if the hash is removed.. Hopefully that makes some sense lol Linux, in general, is a file based system - meaning you can edit the files to have a different outcome.

Try that.. if you have to - I would suggest an external keyboard if you can't get capslock to play well.

1 Like

1 Like

:point_up_2: Thanks. But so above was the result.:scream:

File system//etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Opens read only! :frowning:
Here line 31 says :

' #replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

But I don't have permission to save the file if edited.
I made me administrator in user advanced settings. Ticked in user privileges, connect to wireless and ethernet networks which I found unticked. Restarted. No change in conf. Status. It is read only and I cannot save if edited.

Okay so the last line that says how to fix: you can run sudo apt install -f or sudo apt install --fix-broken - both of those commands are the same, just depends on which one you want to type out, or copy / paste in this case heh. Also run sudo apt update --fix-missing

Don't get caught up too much with the blacklisting - with several devices using a BCM43XX adapters, none of them were blacklisted :grin: It just didn't install due to dependencies and lack of - the updates will fix that.

So - run sudo apt install -f / sudo apt install --fix-broken and sudo apt update --fix-missing, do a sudo apt update then sudo apt full-upgrade then sudo apt autoremove <-- need to watch that one, it may try to take things out that don't need to be removed, just pay attention to what's being removed - then sudo apt install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter - reboot, and should be active..

1 Like

Did all. There were messages that some archives could not be loaded etc etc.

Anyway my sudo lshw still shows network DISABLED

Cannot add new ethernet or wifi connection in Hardware /Advanced network configuration/ + choose connection type/create.......as the options to fill up are not enabled/are in shade.

How to access firmware and enable?
Using F2/F12 on booting always loads zorin. Not UEFI mode.:scream:

Any ways I can reach that?

Another interesting find is that I had taken a backup of my hitherto work folder in my USB drive.
Now it is not accessible and the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable!
:thinking:

I went into boot-<-> F2 zorin advanced settings, selected zorin recovery mode. There the editing network enable function was there. When I click it, the message flashes and disappear. No way to understand. Again loading, my desktop is changed to old. But sudo lshw still shows network DISABLED :scream:.

I have flash drive ready for fresh install of 16.3 Lite. If only I could boot from BiOS and install USB .:thinking:

See message when enabling network :point_up_2:

Way up above, I saw "Temporary failure to resolve in.ubuntu.archive"

Was this ever addressed? At any point, did you try switching to a non-regional server?

1 Like

It sounds kind of like Fast Startup in BIOS is enabled - when you boot the machine, the last option should be UEFI Firmware Settings in Grub, which will take you to BIOS.. What machine are you using? It should be either, Del, F2, or F10 - normally. But, with a machine ID I can lookup what the steps are for entering BIOS.

But, before we get that far - it seems like there are some hangups in the system and possibly update repos. I would suggest taking a look into what @Aravisian pointed out about the temporary failure message; are you on the Main Server or, pointing to a different source?

1 Like

His screenshot shows the India regional server and that it says "temporary" implies that a known outage is at fault. Switching to Main Server, running sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade may help; then reverting back to the regional server in a day or so to keep the Main Server from being too bogged down.

Regional Servers with a lot of traffic can experience more delays.

This did not even occur to me to think of...

1 Like

I hate it - with a passion! :joy: It makes it so much more difficult to get into the BIOS; I think it's on purpose!

Totally missed that in the screenshot, oopsie - definitely guilty of using a local server myself :eyes: