New to Zorin OS and not impressed

@StarTreker: Thanks for your answer!
The Turbo Boost is up to 1.333.3 MHz, which is a third more then the initial 1.000.0 MHz, and that is a lot for such slow and low level machine.

This is screenshot of Stacer:

[x-special/nautilus-clipboard copy file:///home/somchai/Pictures/Link%20to%20Screenshot%20from%202021-10-03%2009-50-51.png]

How to run Chrome Browser on Zorin? Or SlimJet Browser?

Also, I mainly use PostImage for to take Screenshots and place just an Link to such images in BBCodes on Posts! Will that works on Linux/Zorin too? The link to PostImage is: postimages.org.

As I already told, I'm not Linux save at all!

Hey, thats ok, neither was I 6+ years ago. And even today I am still learning new things on Linux believe it or not. Linux is like a rollercoaster adventure. There's ups and downs, and all arounds. But Linux is an OS thats lets you do what you want, not what a greedy corporation who wants to use you as their product.

Don't worry, we've got you covered. You can use both the Chrome browser, and the Firefox browser on Linux. And in the future if you want to play around with a browser that is highly customisable, there is Vivaldi.

But for now, you would like Chrome, Chrome is one of the few apps not found in the software store due to legal reasons. Go to the link bellow...

Download the 64-bit.DEB file for Ubuntu. Don't worry, Zorin is based on the Ubuntu distro, so its all the same. Click Accept & Install. The file will most likely not start auto downloading, so click on the link that says download manually.

Once downloaded. Click on the :zorin: logo at bottom of screen, its like your start menu on Windows, so it should be familure to you. Then just type "Files" click on that, navigate to the DOWNLOADS folder on the left side of the window. You should find your downloaded file there.

Double click on the DEB file, which should take you through the easy process of installing, much like Windows EXE files, so again, should be fairly familure to you. Once installed, go to the :zorin: logo again, now type Chrome. And there you go, launch Chrome.

Now you can login to your account on Chrome, and do whatever tasks you need to do with your browser. YAY for you!

Also, we Zorin users love using the SCREENSHOT app, thats what works for us. Click on the :zorin: logo, type screenshot, click on that. You can tell the APP to take screenshot of the whole screen, or just the window/APP you have open, its very easy to use!

I can't remember if BB codes work here for posting images. But I can tell you for sure what does, HTML codes work. And I post images from my IMGBB account. :blush:

I think your pretty stellar for switching to Zorin OS, so you just earned the rank of stellar, provided by me, cause thats what I think you are, stellar. :star2:

2 Likes

I use Windows 10 home edition and Zorin OS 16 pro,
while Zorin OS boots up in about 72 seconds, windows takes 189 seconds.

SPECS:
Intel Pentium N4200 @1.1Ghz
4GB DDR3 RAM
500 Hardrive @5400 RPM

I know they are like really low, zorin also sometime has snappy performance but i can say it still works better then windows

2 Likes

Zorin OS boot time:

Pop! OS boot time:

Play them both at the same time in the forum, you see 10 sec difference.

1 Like

The very first thing you should do is replace that WD Black HDD with a Samsung 860 EVO SSD. That old HDD is slowing your entire system down to a crawl. I cannot emphasize this enough. I have made computers older than yours tolerable to use just by replacing the HDD with a SSD. They are worth every penny, no matter how old your computer is.

7 Likes

I would second that. Most of my drives are EVO. Have one Kingston which I reckon is a good cheaper alternative.

4 Likes

And I am going to third that cause I am just stellar :star2: that way lol.

I am typing on an old dual core notebook, 2011 tech. Of course it came with a mechanical drive as all computers did back in the day. But this computer was as slow as a slug and a snail on a sidewalk!

After switching the mechanical HDD out, and sticking a Samsung 850 PRO in it, holly molly guacamole batman, she's much faster now! So yes I highly recommend SSD drive.

And modern computer's today use what is called NVME M.2 SSD drives, and they are like 5-times faster then even the old Sata III SSD drives. SSD are the waves of the future. Nobody got no time to wait on no HDD.

We toss the HDD and get onboard with SDD, and you better believe it, thats our SOP.

:joy:

5 Likes

In regards to boot times with Zorin and Pop OS.

Pop OS uses efistub booting and that can be quite a bit faster than Zorin and most other Ubuntu based distros that use grub2 as their bootloader. The amount of services started during the boot process will also affect boot times.

You can run systemd-analyze and systemd-analyze blame to get more information about the boot process.

3 Likes

No, seriously..
Zorin os boot time is too long. It takes almost 2 minutes for my PC to boot from switching it on to taking me to the desktop. I dont really know the cause.... My computer's hardware specs are Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 4GB HDD and 4 cores.
But will it improve if i switch to Zorin LITE?

1 Like

You can switch to LITE now, but it's previous version of Zorin. If you can wait for Zorin to release OS16 LITE, that be better. Up to you.

1 Like

Thanks for all that answers.

A lot to do and also to think about! That will need some time to be done if it could be done!

Overall, I play a lot with low-powered Netbooks. Thailand is maybe not as advanced as you guys are thinking! Income is quite low, special at this Covid Time!

Zorin OS 16 is by some means really near Windows 11! All of my customers are using Windows OSes and the related software as well. Now, with Windows 11 and the implemented restrictions by Microsoft, for some of my customers, the time is coming to change! That is everything but an easy task!
The first step is always to test things on my own systems! If that could be done without too much hassle, there will be a real chance to implement changes to my customers as well.
As long as the system will not get slower as the already used MS-Windows 10 Pro, which all of my customers using for some longer time already, I'll have fewer problems for implementing some changes to a new system, special if it's looks like the former used OS.

If I get Zorin working in most real ways, I'll try to force my customers to change.
First, I've to get many things working in Zorin and that's what I'll do now.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Regarding the answers which telling to change the HDD to SSD, my experiences are, by using a Samsung SSD 750 EVO, it is still not much faster than the used WD 500GB 7200rpm HDD!
And I also have to think, that most of my customers will not have the budget to change any of their existing hardware, which includes the Storage Devices.
One other fact which comes into action is, the SATA system used in that old Netbook, is SATA 300, not SATA 600! so, the speed of the SSD will dramatically decrease! That applies to both: SSD and HDD!

Most of the systems of my customers are at least 8 years old and older, which applies to 90% of them! And if I like to keep my customers happy, means not increase the amount of budget needed for renewing hardware, and keep them as my customers as well!

Not so easy life!

1 Like

Hey hey hey.

I totally get where you are coming from, trust me I do. Believe it or not, I actually come from a poor family. But I was in a situation where I was always clothed, fed, and provided for, even with toys! Yeah, I knew collage wasn't an option for me, obviously lol.

But I graduated HS with a diploma, boy was mom proud, especially since she knew that my dad flunked out of school after the 6th grade lol! Anyways, growing up, we didn't have money for computers!

My first computer was a 386, in a 486 era, my mom got it on the super cheap for only 20 bucks. Computer was so antiquated it couldn't play any real games. But she got it to help with my schooling, and it was hooked up to a DOT Matrix Printer.

And that was pretty much all that was good for, other then the fact I was learning Windows 3.1 on it lol. I then eventually built my first 486, out of donated parts from my school. They were going to send them all out to recycling, so they let me have some parts to build with.

I can't tell you how lucky I was to secure a DX4-100MHZ CPU and 32MB of RAM. IF you know anything about the 486 era, getting those kind of SPECS, thats top tier right there lol. So I continued with hand me downs until I could afford to build another machine.

My last desktop build was a single core 64-bit machine machine, all built with used parts. I later upgraded the video card when I could. So you see, I understand what you are saying, I do. When your not made of money, and you also only have certain tech options available, you get what you can, and you don't complain.

Cause having a computer, is better then not having anything at all. My last computers have been notebooks. Two big reasons for that, its kind of a pain to build desktop computer's, its a lot of work, and a lot of time consuming hours to select the parts you need that will play nice together.

Also, parts prices have been steadly rising on parts like CPU's, GPU's and RAM. Eventually, they priced themselves out of unobtainable for me, as I have no interest in spending 5,000 dollar to build a top notch gaming desktop machine.

Notebooks are great, cause you can get a whole lot of performance in a small package, and for a reasonable cost too. For the first time in my entire life, I was finally able to buy a high end gaming notebook.

So for me, thats like a milestone. I know this was a long post. I wanna thank you for your time in reading it. Just know that I think you are pretty stellar, especially if you care. And that, earns you a star. :star2:

4 Likes

@StarTreker: Thanks a lot for your post and answer!

Computers are my life! It's as simple as that!
Started with an 8088 and 8086 +8087! The good old NEC's!
Later on from 1968, after my military service is done, I started to study Computer Science at Zurich in Switzerland. Graduated and got specialized in Cobol Programming! Got my first Job in Hongkong in 1977, moved around in Asia for my Company, and be since 1989 permanent Resident of Thailand, where I started my own company.

Today I'm 74years old and still working! For some years I also doing some work for some Orphanages in Thailand, nearly free of charge! I just like that work and helping those who didn't have a future on their own. That's it! And that it's exactly why I'm using those old systems!

For myself, I'm just an imperfect human and like to be just that! Sure today it's not so easy to be up to date with the latest technology and my own buddy is quite tired already! Everything is going a bit more slowly than it was years before! Just, that's the real-life, so have to live with it!

OK, let's things going on! Who knows how long it will be?

Thanks again for your very informative post.

1 Like

Nah. That's nothing. :slight_smile:

I was so poor I couldn't afford a mouse with a working left button for my 386. As a result, I got used to using the right mouse button as primary.

This is a practice I still maintain to this day, but mainly to annoy the hell out of anyone who tries to come near my puter.

2 Likes

Your name is Marlin, it should be obvious to you by now, put a dead Marlin fish next to your computer, nobody will want to go near it. HAHA

Something smells fishy about all this. Looks at keyboard, sheeeeet, your right! :tropical_fish:

1 Like

It maybe over simplistic, but boot time is the first impression that many have of an OS. Perhaps that's why MS have worked to improve the boot time of Win 11.

I obviously care about it because I watched the two boot videos above with anticipation. In my book, 2 minutes is way too long anyway but would agree a few seconds difference in a comparison in neither here nor there.

What is good about Linux are the updates and that is more important. For one thing, they are under my control. But for another, the waiting around while Windows reboots and updates again is a killer.

1 Like

I literally watched a LIVE video from LTT, where Anthony was trying to benchmark a computer, when Windows 10 suddenly decided to start downloading updates. You see, Windows don't respect you or anything you do, it does what it wants you to do.

And if you try and force auto updates to disable, well that timeframe only lasts a maximum of a week. So that means, a week later, that system is going to update, and wipe out any settings changes you did, including, turning off the telemetry.

Windows11 is going to be far worse for those who get it this month. I'll pray for them, but I think Windows is gonna put them over the edge.

3 Likes