No sound on iMac

sorry, I can't understand what happened, u mean u get sound now, or still no sound?

Still no sound. I clicked on the green icon. But it didn't work. HDMI has now the word (unplugged) after its name.

I tried clicking through different profiles, but none made any difference.

go back and make the built-in audio analog stereo(speaker) the default by clicking on right green icon beside it.
then I think that link may help u:

Ok, here's how it looks like. HDMI is unplugged now.
Analog Stereo (Speaker) is clicked on the green icon.
I tried out this different profiles. (I made a screenshot to show, what options all exists.)

(I can't make screenshots with shortcuts, because I have no Prnt key. I use the screenshot app usually, but in this case, the options would have gone away, when I changed apps, so I have to make a photo. (I wanted to make shortcuts as I know them from Mac, but the keys are used already otherwise, so it didn't work either. (On Mac Screenshot is Shift alt 3))

Ok, I looked at the link.

What I tried is this:
systemctl --user restart pulseaudio
rm -r ~/.config/pulse
pulseaudio -k

This didn't work either.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Zorin OS 16 on iMac - cannot find sound controls

Have you checked the contents of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf?

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Check if the line options snd-hda-intel model=imac27 is present and does not have a hashtag in front of it. If it is not present, add that line. If it is present with a hashtag, remove the hashtag.
Tap ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to complete the operation saving and exiting.

sudo reboot

and test...

Ok, I tried that now. But unfortunately still no sound.
The line options snd-hda-intel model=imac27 wasn't there, so I added it and rebooted. But nothing happened.
(Is it the right model? Just wondering, because I have the 21.5 inch iMac.)

A very good question - I am not Apple-smart...
I did try some searching to clarify the answer to the above and found this:

Tried other things, but they didn't work either. I also got the same error again as above, when I used the command gedit. But looking at the file now, I guess it did safe the text, since it stayed changed in there when I reopened the file.
Just wanted to add this here, to tell what I tried.

Tried what was described here: Adventures with Linux: Installing Ubuntu on a Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 - Bob Johnson's Computer Stuff, Inc.

So what they suggested was the following:

sudo gedit /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf
A text file called analog-output-speaker.conf will open up in a new window. In the text file, find this part:

[Element Headphone]
switch = off
volume = off

and change it to this:

[Element Headphone]
switch = off
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all
override-map.2 = all-left,all-right

Next, in the same text file, find this part:

[Element Speaker]
required-any = any
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all
override-map.2 = all-left,all-right

and change it to this:

[Element Speaker]
required-any = any
switch = mute
volume = off

Save and reboot.

Maybe I found the solution!
On second screenshot, select Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog stereo Input

Did this solve?

Unfortunately it doesn't make any difference. It shows sound moving, but no sound comes out. (I clicked through all profiles to see whether any of it would work.)

No, it didn't solve it. (But yeah I think the gedit command still worked, even though it had an error. I mean just that I could edit the file, but sound still doesn't work.)

try this, please:

# Add ppa for latest build
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipewire-debian/pipewire-upstream

# Update
sudo apt update

# Install components
sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-pipewire pipewire-media-session libspa-0.2-bluetooth libspa-0.2-jack pipewire pipewire-audio-client-libraries

# If you get unmet dependencies, you can run:
sudo apt --fix-broken install
# Then re-run
sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-pipewire pipewire-media-session libspa-0.2-bluetooth libspa-0.2-jack pipewire pipewire-audio-client-libraries

# Reload new services
systemctl --user daemon-reload

# Disable PulseAudio service
systemctl --user --now disable pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket

# If you update from previous version of PopOS
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio

# Enable Pipewire services
systemctl --user --now enable pipewire pipewire-pulse

# Enable Pipewire media session
systemctl --user --now enable pipewire-media-session.service

# Reboot and possibly use https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/906/sound-output-device-chooser/

if you're on gnome, post a screenshot of the extension on this link (Sound Input & Output Device Chooser - GNOME Shell Extensions)

Ok I tried installing it, I don't see anywhere an app though. Or do I need to start it from the terminal? If so how do I do that?

I also tried to get the extension, here I just got a zip file, which unzipped just have several files. How do I install them or use them?

You can move / copy the files to either
~/. local/share/gnome-shell/extensions
or to make it system-wide:
/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions

It isn't an app, but a service. It starts when the system boots up

But without the extension, does the audio work??

Hmm, so still having no sound, but Pipewire services was now installed.
Not sure if the extension got installed or not.