No Splash on boot, just black screen + Short Black screen after logging in?

Sooo i have installed Zorin OS 16 Pro and i am quiet happy so far.
Its my first serious distro and i had to fiddle with some things but its fun :smiley:

My problem is (Maybe its not a problem) that i don't have a splash screen like on other distros, its just full black until i can log in and after the log in (After pressing enter) i have a short black screen for a second or so and then the desktop loads.

The system is installed on an SSD and installed without problems. I am using the Nvidia drivers like i should.

Maybe thats just how it is? If no , can i fix it? Feels kinda wrong to me.

I hope you guys can help me :slight_smile: Thanks in advance!

-Basti

Zorin OS 16 contains a Plymouth loader Splash Screen that should be visible during those times. I suspect that the reason you are not seeing them is because of the Nvidia Card not loading until after init runs.
It is a small detail and may or may not be worth trying to fix as making a fix for it may cause other Nvidia card issues.
You might try setting the grub parameter nomodeset to see if that solves this issue- but that is as far as I would go if it was me.

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Find the line with quiet splash and with one space between, add nomodeset so it looks like
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
ctrl+x to exit, hit the y key to say yes to save, then theenter key to save as current configuration.

The whole thing is empty ΓΆ_ΓΆ Should i just add that command then or is something screwed?

EDIT: NVM MY BAD I WAS STUPID! Gonna try it XD

EDIT2: Mhm nope doesnt seem to do anything. Still just blackscreen and a cursor.

Well, it was worth a shot. Honestly... if you have Nvidia working, I would recommend tolerating the minor annoyance.

Yeah. Got everything working. At least i tried it :smiley: thanks !

1 Like