No wifi on Zorin pro install on HP Pavillion, any answers?

Tried to install Zorin pro on my HP Pavillion laptop, wifi not recognized. A friend told me that HP's are not Linux friendly, still trying to figure out how to fix this issue since I paid for Linux pro.

What’s the output of sudo lshw -c network?

I went back to Windows for the time being. My USB with Zorin pro has been erased and is no longer recognized by my HP laptop. I tried to erase it and format it and assign it a letter. I was able to erase it but can't format it or assign a letter. Apparently HP's are not Linux friendly at all. Maybe I will keep Win 10 on this HP and I will be using Zorin Pro on my old ASUS laptop.

See: Restore USB drives back to full capacity ▷ Format & reset USB

Carmar,
I will dual boot again tomorrow and run that command in the terminal and let you know what the output is. Should I type sudo lshw -c in the terminal? I am new at this.

Yes, terminal (ctrl +alt+t) then sudo lshw -c network

Thank you Carmar... I will get back to you when I try this later today

Carmar,
I ran the command you sent me on the terminal after trying Zorin pro on my HP laptop. I am attaching a picture with the response.
Please let me know what you think ok?
Thank you,
Pete

Can you check that you haven’t turned your WiFi off by accident? Should be under Zorin menu -> Settings -> WiFi (or something like that, I believe you’re on Gnome and it has been a while since I was on Gnome).

Could you also check Software Updater -> Settings -> Additional Drivers?

Zorin recognizes the Rtl8821CE, so I’m perplexed. See: Wifi rtl8821ce driver installation - #34 by whitecloud

Carmar,
I'll try that. and get back to you.
Again, thank you,
Pete

on the terminal, write nmtui and click on activate a connection (with arrow keys and then enter), then connect to your wifi.
if that works, linux recognizes the card
if not, it doesn't

Nicolaco,
Thank you so much. I will also try this today.

Nicolaco,
You are freaking awesome! Problem solved. Thank you my friend, if you ever get to the Philippines you can stay at my place for free.
Philip Peter Madlem

Carmar,
Fixed it with the nmtui command.
Thank you!

I have marked the thread solved.

2 Likes

you're a super SUPER SUPER kind person... your words made my day!!

2 Likes

Nicolaco_08
I spoke too soon. Once I had Zorin pro on my HP Pavilion laptop installed after about ten minutes, it froze up and the cursor disappeared. Couldn't do anything, couldn't open the terminal or use the cursor. I restarted and tried again and it froze up again. I then installed Ubuntu 20.04 and it worked and it recognized the wifi but it wouldn't install any updates or allow me to install the Brave browser for Linux. Very strange. Back to Win 10 until I can figure this out.

I spoke too soon. Once I had Zorin pro on my HP Pavilion laptop installed after about ten minutes, it froze up and the cursor disappeared. Couldn't do anything, couldn't open the terminal or use the cursor. I restarted and tried again and it froze up again. I then installed Ubuntu 20.04 and it worked and it recognized the wifi but it wouldn't install any updates or allow me to install the Brave browser for Linux. Very strange. Back to Win 10 until I can figure this out.

Can you please give the model of the Pavilion notebook?
14t? 15t? x360?

It is an Hp 17-by0053cl