Old Version Of Crossover

Hello I used to use Zorin OS then I went back to Windows.

I now want to give Zorin another try and would like to still use some of my Windows programs, when I was using Zorin before I bought Crossover for linux in 2016.

I have tried to install it again but am having problems (Error Dependency is not satisfiable libpng12-0) do I need to buy another crossover or is there a fix please.

Hi and welcome (where's my manners!)

What Windows applications are you trying to run if you don't mind me asking? :wink:

An alternative option would be to run Windows as a VM inside Virt-Manager - that is what I had to do for two applications I needed for work whilst working from home until I retired.

@sue Have you tried the Zorin "Windows App Support" to run your Windows programs.
I think @FrenchPress may have more knowledge of Crossover.

1 Like

Hi swarfendor and zabadabadoo thanks for your replies I would like to run paint shop pro 9.

I have never used or heard of Virt-Manager but would give it a go
I have just installed Windows App Support so will also give that a go thanks

1 Like

@FrenchPress is a helpful moderator on this forum. If she gets to see we have tagged her here, she may come in a offer more advice. But I suspect she may be out Christmas shopping :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry zabadabadoo I have just edited my last post before I saw your post I have found Windows App Support and installed it
Yes a lot will be out getting last min Christmas shopping lol

1 Like

You don't need cross-over office for that program (and is now available from the internet archive under old software if anyone wants to try it (psp 9 that is)).

Ensure that you have the latest wine installed.

Follow this guide:

What I would do with games is what I might do with PSP9.
Once wine is installed, browse your virtual C:\ drive and create a folder with the same label as that of your PSP 9 CD. Next copy everything from your PSP 9 CD into the PSP folder on your virtual C:\ Drive. Select any Setup icons in the folder, right-click and choose properties then on Permissions tab make sure 'allow as executable' or similar wording is checked and apply. Now run your setup program from the folder you created and start enjoying PSP 9 in Zorin. :wink:

Fantastic I will follow your instructions thank you.

Don't hesitate to come back if anything untoward happens. I will try and dig out my Plasma Zorin 16 to try myself. :wink:

Here I am back :slight_smile:

Following the instructions for installing Wine I am up to here:

Most of the Windows applications are built for 32-bit architecture. The first step is to enable multiarch, which allows you to install both 64 and 32-bit packages on the machine:

Then it tells me to do this
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update

After doing that I get this
3 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

After doing that I get this
zorin-appearance-layouts-shell-premium/focal,focal 3.1.4 all [upgradable from: 3.1.3]
zorin-os-pro-creative-suite/focal,focal 1.3.1 all [upgradable from: 1.2]
zorin-os-pro-productivity-apps/focal,focal 1.3.1 all [upgradable from: 1.1.1]

What do I do now please the next step is Install Wine:

sudo apt install wine64 wine32

I'd ignore the focal updates as that might get ubuntu taking over Zorin. just go with the wine install procedure.

Thank you so much swarfendor PSP is working great on my Zorin

And I have learnt a lot as well I didn't know about The Internet Archive Software Collection I will be spending a lot of time mooching in there lol

https://archive.org/details/vintagesoftware

Also consider PlayOnLinux: Walkthrough/Tips for troubleshooting - PlayOnLinux (POL) - running Windows applications easier than plain vanilla Wine

Thank you for the link

Thanks carmar psp is working fine now

1 Like

Not always the case and I don't use PlayOnLinux for personal reasons.
Not had much of an issue using wine and using Cross-Over Office actually supports the real developers of Wine who sell cross-over to fund the Wine project that they develop. If something was only going to run well on Windows then I would install Windows as a VM using Virtual Machine Manager (oftern referred to as virt-manager and is as such in Synaptic Package Manager).

1 Like

Those are safe Zorin OS packages. These can be handled with the

sudo apt upgrade

command. They showed up because during the process of installing Wine, the O.P. updated the sources. This allowed the new upgrades to become available.

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

1 Like

Marked solution. 85

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.