Other Distros

I've been using Zorin as my daily driver since my first foray into linux during the Pandemic think it was 15.3 now obviously using 16.2.
Quite rightly Zorin is touted as a new user friendly distro and I've often wondered should I be moving onto something perhaps more challenging whatever that means.
I have looked at many many distros via a vm and although there are numerous very good distros nothing has tempted to move away. An example of this with the recent release of ubuntu 23.04 thought I'd have a look, every flavour I tried gave some some sort of error, in fact I couldnt even get Budgie to install, now of course it may be a vm issue but it wouldn't encourage me to install on bare metal.
You may not get the latest and greatest with Zorin but it's rock solid and not once have I had an issue it just works every day, from Nvidia to printers and the 1 windows program I use mp3tag it just makes my life easy.
To be honest I backup my files to seperate drives fom the os so direct upgrade is not something that important to me, reinstalling doesnt take long and something quite enjoyable but can understand why people want direct upgrade. All I want is zorin to carry on being something that I can use every day without any hassle (shudders thinking of windows updates)
To me using Zorin is like wearing a comfy pair of shoes you never want to discard them and if they wear out just get a new pair of the same shoe.
Roll on Zorin 17.

7 Likes

The new installer in Ubuntu 23.04 seems to have some bugs in it that only happens to a fairly small percentage of users. (I was one myself though).

I do recommend sticking to LTS releases of Ubuntu though as their midway releases are where they try things and it leads to more issues. (They want to find issues in the midway releases before the LTS ones)

As far as trying other distros I do recommend you to try some more if you are interested. But if your goal is a friendly distro that mostly just works Zorin is hard to beat. I am a long term Linux user (16-17 years) and I know my way around and Zorin is my go to simply because it does not ask a lot of me and can let me focus on whatever it is I am working on at the moment instead of worrying about an issue breaking my system.

4 Likes

I hear what your saying I will continue to look at other distros as it's a fun thing to do, not found anything that gives me enough encouragement to switch from Zorin at the moment.

1 Like

I've tried many distros via Ventoy... some wouldn't even boot to runlevel 5, some wouldn't pick up the WiFi card, some didn't support ZFS... Devuan is very appealing, but it's still got a few niggling little issues that would drive me bonkers.

Zorin OS just works, and it gets out of my way so I can accomplish what I want to do... aside from the latest updates for ZFS borking ZFS (so I just forego installing those updates... I'll wait for ZorinOS 17 then wipe and install).

Actually, I'm ordering new drives and under ZorinOS 17, I'll have pretty much the same setup I've got now (3 mirrored ZFS drives for the OS, 2 mirrored SLOG drives, 2 swap partitions), but the swap partitions on my current setup will be moved to individual drives, I'll have 3 mirrored SLOG drives, I'll be bumping the RAM up to 64 GB and the backup drives won't have partitions that contain the OS... they'll be only for backup.

2 Likes

It just depends on what you want. Not sure exactly what your experience is but Nobara and Mint are two other specific ones I could recommend for a beginner. (Nobara is kinda aimed at gamers but is a great system for general use as well)

But for things that matter to most users Zorin is really hard to beat.

4 Likes

I've got what I want in Zorin, but do enjoy playing around in a VM with other distros. I've only been using Linux full time since during COVID in 2020, got into it out of curiosity after being a windows user since windows 95 but finally got frustrated with their updates failing on me. Hopefully things have improved since then for windows users.
My only regret is not finding Linux sooner will never go back, however I believe Linux was not as easy to use 10-15years ago.

2 Likes

Be curious to know what your niggles are with Devuan. I had used it since December 2020 until a few weeks ago, working from home during lockdown, only having to use virt-manager to run Windows for a shared mailbox and the Windows version of Braille Blaster Braille translation program that would not run on Devuan but had run on Feren OS that I used previously. Have been trying Antix but I am having niggles with that. Lots of terminal comnands to get virt-manager to run compared to Devuan. You should also take a look at BSD. The one I can live with so far is GhostBSD. Even has latest Evolution mail client. No need for Snap or Flatpak, just su in terminal then

pkg install [pkg1] [pkg2] ...

You do have to install packages like x.org and Desktop Environments, and Applications. There is supposed to be a way to install Linux applications through 'linux-jail' but Ghost BSD only offers CentOS version, a fork of Red Hat which uses .rpm and not .deb and no clear guidelines. Lots of references to FreeBSD and their pages are technical and not too clear, for me that is. No virt-manager but VirtualBox is available.

I personally do not think it was any harder than Windows back then (except maybe driver issues) Linux is just different in the way it does things.

Primary point of this reply was to see if you have discovered anything else interesting. I definitely encourage people to play around, that is how I ended up on Zorin myself I have primarily been a Ubuntu/Opensuse user since 2007ish but have used basically every distro under the sun. I just like the way Zorin does things lol.

My first distro was Yellow Dog Linux on the Playstation 3

1 Like

The one thing I found that there are many many Distros that are good all have good and bad points I even played around with arch distros like Garuda, Arco linux they're good but not for me.
One interesting one I discovered was Tuxedo os that is really good for anybody into KDE but I'm happy with Zorin and see no reason to change at the moment.
You dont get this much choice with windows its wysiwyg.
I still have windows 11 on another drive but very rarely boot into it, it's only there as backup in case catastrophe happens. The downside of using windows for a long time is your muscle memory gets used to a certain way of working, so Im a bit old fashioned in liking my start menu, but im not against change and vanilla gnome is fine but have to have the dock at the bottom not the side.
Yellow Dog sounds like a heavy metal band :rofl:

1 Like

Fedora 38 did tempt me to switch. But my PCs are very old so there's no real advantage. Plus, all that zooming could get annoying.

https://i.imgur.com/9aqeqkm.mp4

I am wondering if better waiting to new Zorin version on my new pc.
Why? Because is simple. Arch is for advance people.
Some people talking to me installing CachyOS but he is difficult to installing manually partition. Any distribution gest first learning on VM.

Really my only 2 gripes with Fedora is the upgrade cycle happens to often and makes you liable to run into issues and the software support is not as good as Ubuntu. Especially when you get into more professional software.

In my honest opinion Arch is a waste of time unless you just enjoy tinkering with your computer. It really is not so much about being "advanced" as it is having the right mentality. It gets far more issues and tends to do worse on benchmarks

Fedora/Opensuse Tumbleweed are both vastly superior if you want to be more updated than what a Ubuntu LTS will give you.

Arch is easy. I am on it for last year and no issues.
Easy to install, easy to use, not bloated .

Just because you have not had issues does not mean as a general rule they do not exist. If you use Arch your system is virtually guaranteed to eventually break.

Distros like Garuda have attempted to get around this by incorporating Timeshift into GRUB.

Arch is more unstable from ubuntu?
Still I wondering which distribution installing on new pc.

It isn’t so much that it is “unstable”.

Arch just doesn’t hold your hand and sooner or later some packages you install will conflict with each other during an update and break something.

That and the fact you need the AUR for most everything and that isn’t tested anywhere near as well as Ubuntu/Fedora packages.

Arch is a great system for tinkerers. But I would recommend it to anyone else. Something like Garuda tries to close the gap to a degree but I would basically almost always advise Fedora over any Arch system.

So we can choose Fedora with any spin what i saw.
That is cute and Titus Tech Linux sayed Fedora programmers very security because red hat.
I wondering when Zorin 17 will be birthday on the earth because if not so long then maybe I can waiting. I know also many distributions new version will be soon on internet.

Sticking to Ubuntu LTS releases is what I personally do. Rock solid reliability, no major updates for years, and software support that is 2nd to none in the Linux world.

But if you want more updated packages than what Ubuntu LTS is using then I would recommend a Fedora base. (Nobara being a very user friendly version)

As far as Zorin 17 I would think we would at least have a release window within the next few months. But this is pure speculation

1 Like

Then if i choose fedora with spin it will be based on fedora devs.