Problems with latest updates?

Much appreciated. To answer your questions...

System Details Report


Report details

  • Date generated: 2026-10-03 22:29:25

Hardware Information:

  • Hardware Model: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B560 DS3H AC-Y1
  • Memory: 32.0 GiB
  • Processor: 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-11400F × 12
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT
  • Disk Capacity: 4.0 TB

Software Information:

  • Firmware Version: F3
  • OS Name: Zorin OS 18.1 Core
  • OS Build: (null)
  • OS Type: 64-bit
  • Windowing System: Wayland
  • Kernel Version: Linux 7.0.0-34-generic

As for updates: I almost immediately update Zorin whenever I am notified that there are any available. I've been especially diligent these days, in hopes of some kind of patch will resolve the issue. And as you know, alongside any OS update are sometimes app updates, so those get applied alongside.

Please refer to the list I shared re: the apps that have given me trouble, but once again, the ones that matter the most to me are...

  1. VLC (I have both the most recent Snap Store version, which I use the most for regular video viewing & the Zorin OS, aka APT, version cuz it's a necessary component for OBS)
  2. qBittorent (the most recent Flathub version; I know many have already stated that Flatpack versions are problematic, but as already stated, the Snap Store version has a weird bug that creates duplicate versions of files that made me stop using it once I noticed them)
  3. OBS Studio (the "Unofficial" version, aka the most recent Snap version, which is v 32.2.0)
  4. 4K Video Downloader+ (I have since uninstalled the app completely given how every re-installation has not fixed the issue; it always fails to launch. I can for a split second a window launching but, in the end, nothing)

Originally I had a dual boot system in which Windows 10 was on my main HD and I boot into Zorin that is on an external drive; I would use GRUB during start up to choose which environment I wanted to use. But somehow this kept causing problems with Windows 10, so I eventually replaced it with CachyOS. I then choose, via GRUB, which environment I want.

Maybe worth mentioning is how the Zorin version of GRUB was replaced by Cachy's, also the first time I tried booting into Zorin it took a long time, tho I used a tutorial to make adjustments to fix the issues. I have been able to boot into both without incident for weeks.

I will need to restart my PC, but I am 99% that they are off on both accounts.

BTW, one more thing re: 4K Video Downloader+...

  1. I just tried to download another copy again, the latest version on the website. One gets a .deb file, which I run.
  2. This launched the Software launcher, so I can install the app, which it does like every other app that I downloaded outside the Software store.
  3. BUT, unlike other apps that were acquired in such a manner, they do not appear in the Installed tab like everything else. Example: I installed Helium in the same manner and I can see it in said Installed section, which gives me the chance to view details and even uninstall it
  4. Furthermore, when I do a right click on the 4K Video Downloader icon, found in All Apps, I get a "Sorry! There are no details for that application." message.

Hope that possibly helps?

Alright, an update! I looked around online and saw a suggestion for clearing the font cache, and because it's supposed to be safe, I gave it a shot, and after restarting my PC... 4K Video Downloader+ works. Kinda insane.

Tho I then tried to see if right clicking it to see information on the app might work in Software, but nothing. But then I tried it with another app, BelanEtcher, and the same thing.

I still have no idea why some apps that are installed via .deb files along is manageable in Software, like Helium, and others are not. Is it something I shouldn't worry about?

This is a Chromium bug introduced in Chromium - and applications that use Chromium for their U.I. are affected. That includes Proton built apps and 4k downloader is one such.

Another Zorin OS user linked to the page showing Chromium is aware and working on backporting compatibility fixes:

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/8462495

I cannot recall who posted the link off the top of my head. You know who you are, speak up...

1 Like

Here I had linked the informations, too in the chromium link above in this thread:

1 Like

You have Linux Kernel Linux 7.0.0-34-generic, you could update to Linux 7.0.0-38-generic, which is the actual one. Let's see if more of your app problems disappear afterwards.

1 Like

OK, I'll speak up. I posted the link to the Chromium site.

1 Like

Now that we have a confession, the next stage is determining punishment...

1 Like

If you're "pulling my leg" I don't understand the joke. If not, WTF.

I was pulling your leg.

Since you protest, I withdraw my offer.