Problems with latest updates?

you can try for all your problematic apps to go in ~/.var/app remove folder of this apps, uninstall app an reinstall it

1 Like

Actually your issue is from the major Webkit migration introduced by Canonical. This thread was started following a glitch in a flatpak library update 'bubblewrap'.

@community_moderators Please can you start and pin a separate thread for Webkit update errors coutesy of Canonical 23.09.2026 abandoning Webkit 4.0 for 4.1.

" No, not all Linux distributions run WebKit . While WebKit is widely used via the WebKitGTK and QtWebKit ports for applications like GNOME Web and various embedded systems, support and adoption vary significantly across the Linux ecosystem.

  • Distribution Support : Most mainstream distributions provide WebKit packages, but the specific API versions available differ. Ubuntu 24.04+ , Fedora 40+ , Debian 13+ , Void Linux , and Alpine Linux 3.21+ have migrated exclusively to the newer webkit2gtk-4.1 API, removing support for the older 4.0 API.

  • Enterprise Isolation : Enterprise distributions such as RHEL 9 , Rocky Linux , and AlmaLinux provide only the legacy webkit2gtk-4.0 API, with no plans to adopt 4.1, creating a split in the ecosystem.

  • Alternative Engines : Many Linux users and distributions prioritize or exclusively use other rendering engines. Firefox uses Mozilla’s Gecko engine, and most other browsers (Chrome, Edge, Opera) use Google’s Blink engine. Additionally, KDE applications have largely moved from WebKit to the Chromium-based QtWebEngine .

  • Fragmented Maintenance : Security and update practices for WebKit on Linux are inconsistent; while Arch Linux and Fedora generally ship updates quickly, other distributions may lag or package outdated, vulnerable versions, leading some users to avoid WebKit-based applications entirely.

AI-generated answer. Please verify critical facts."

It's time Zorin should move to KDE which uses QtWebkit. Be curious to know if people install kde-standard and log into that desktop instead via the cog at login whether they experience the same issues.

Footnote: I have never used Flatpak or Snap, and if I were still using Zorin they (and gnome-software) would be the first things I would bin.

5 Likes

Cleaning up the cache did indeed work! For the first time in a week my audio programs are back to normal. Many thanks. This particular nightmare is over.

3 Likes

Ah thanks a lot for sharing, this is the issue I had for a few days. The WebKitWebProcess process was constantly using 8% of my CPU for no reason, my only option was to kill this process. But the workaround you shared solved my issue.

3 Likes

As I stated in that post, anything posted here after 23.09.2026 needs to be in a different update issue thread and this one renamed "Issues caused by bubblewrap update to Flatpaks".

5 Likes

Worked great to clear-up Evolution blank screen.

2 Likes

Perhaps this is an explanation:

Here in this reddit thread they show how to create a wrapper (for google chrome, but maybe it could be adapted for other chromium browsers) to prevent that the fontconfig makes problems again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/comments/1wo84kz/how_to_fix_crashes_when_googlechrome_corrupts/

KDE Plasma users seem to have even bigger issues than gnome users with crashing the shell because of chromium based browsers.

1 Like

How would one go about using a KDE desktop? When I was back on Mint, I used both in parallel although I was constantly told it would be desastreous. Will there be an 'official' option for that in Zorin?

1 Like

Thank you! So, this is a temporary fix, because once I close Evolution, the original problem is back (blank emails, can't compose, reply to, or forward emails).

2 Likes

Ok, maybe not. I just closed out Evolution and it's still ok. It's nice to have this fix available for when it does happen. Thank you.

2 Likes

My issue was with a different program, but clearing the fontconfig cache worked for me! Thanks so much!

2 Likes

This is the mess GNU/Linux causes/solves. I wonder if they notify Application Developers in advance of the impending changes? Reminiscent of KDE and Gnome new iterations not being compatible with existing Widgets and Extensions.

1 Like

Are @community-moderators considering splitting this (pinned) thread as Swarf has suggested?
(or keep it as is, just asking, as may not be easy)

I see there is a WebKitProcess (not-pinned) thread in Tutorials section here: WebKitWebProcess uses 100% of one CPU core on Zorin OS 18.1 – fontconfig cache workaround - #5 by Miroslav

2 Likes

I have created for this a new Thread:

6 Likes

Just got the update on PCLOS Debian today:

No issues with any browser, including Vivaldi which is Chrome based I believe? :wink:

No problems with Plasma Shell crashing - then again I am using Liquorix kernel so whether that has anything to do with not having issues I don't know.

Did get a Plasma Crash of a VM of a VM in a video I am making for @BassMan84 !

The only app that has not been working, has been the Weather widget on Plasma - because Wetter.com has pulled the plug! So now I am stuck with BBC Weather as the source! Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

1 Like

Hello everyone. Zorin has been the very first Linux to daily drive, which has been a few months now, but I am still relatively new to Linux, so sincerest apologizes if I am not clear enough or just don't know enough; I am trying my best to learn and any help is legit sincerely appreciated.

Anyhow, as noted, been using Zorin who a little while and I have LOVED it, enough to recommend it to every single Windows users (I had been using 10) to make the jump, but tbh, over the past few days & weeks has made me really regret my evangelism.

I've tried to seek help from the Zorin Discord, and while there are some friendly folks, there aren't many there, perhaps enough to offer enough perspectives to lead to a solution. I was going to start a new thread, but feel this is a good one to bump; I THINK it's relevant to my situation?

Which is this: for months everything ran SUPER smoothly. K, there were some hiccups here and there, but for the most part, I got all the apps I needed running in a satisfactory degree. But then after what appeared to be a rather routine update, everything broke.

Here is a list that I wrote originally for said Discord of all the apps that are given me issues, which includes different versions of the same app; again apologizes if something is confusing since I am again a newbie. And just to state up front, I use Zorin as a safe & secure means to acquire media, which I then catalog and share via online broadcasts, hence the software listed...

VLC (APT version): won't launch, period

VLC (Flatpack version): renders subtitles in a rather displeasing font, and when attempt to change it via "Settings", immediately crashes

OBS (APT version): when selecting "Settings" it too immediately crashes

4K Video Downloader+ (available outside of the Zorin app repository): immediately crashes when trying to start it up

qBittorrent (Snap version): when a torrented file downloads, it appears in both the designated folder AND another folder that is embeded in the ZorinOS files that is kinda like a "ghost" file, meaning it has all names of what is supposed to have been downloaded by the files themselves are just a few bytes and do not function. still pretty annoying and I am afraid of touching them, given where they are located

qBittorrent (Flatback version): previously when you double clicked on file in the app's directory, a window would open showing you the file. well, that no longer happens, so now you have to go to the place yourself, which doesn't like a big deal, but when you are dealing with hundreds of files and they live off your primary drive, it becomes a real slog to manage

... I really, REALLY want to continue use and support Zorin, but I have to say, these recent issues has been disheartening. The issues involving 4K Video Downloader+ is most frustrating of all because unlike everything else, there aren't multiple variants for me to bounce around to see what works best. I also have a paid license, so I am a serious user.

Again, I am a total Linux newbie and to be totally honest, as much as I love tech, I am still not super technically fluent, at least to the degree that I wish I was. So I will be more than happy to do whatever to answer whatever questions, but you will have to talk to me like a child, with extremely basically instructions. Just a heads up.

1 Like

Basically, due to my issues, I believed that maybe I should move away from Zorin, that it ultimately cannot suit my needs, which again is media acquisition and broadcasting. Guess I should mention that I recently installed and began running (on another drive) CachyOS, to play games (I tried to run Steam on Zorin and it just didn't go very well, but then found out about gaming-focused distros, plus I like the idea of one OS for mostly doing one thing, and another OS for mostly another thing).

But now I am wondering if that is even advisable, since I am getting the impression the problems I am experiencing (and others, though I am thankful that all my browsers... LibreWolf, Zen, Hellium, and Chrome... are unaffected) is not just a Zorin thing but MANY Linux distros?

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

To help you, we need more infos about your system:

  • Please go to Settings - System - Info - System Details and post it here.
  • When did you the last update of Zorin OS and / or the mentioned apps above.
  • Also: do you have a dual boot system with windows or standalone Zorin OS?
  • If Windows is installed, is quick start disabled (Energy Options)?
  • Are Secure Boot and Fast Boot disabled?

Welcome to the Forum!

There were some Issues in the last Time, that is true. One is Flatpak-related what You find here. That as solved with an Update of a specific Package:

Another one in releated to a changed Packages Version:

You could try to run the Commands to try to solve Your Issues. There is no Guarantee that it works because it depends if it is the Issue but it should be worth a Try:

Of Course, You are free to try CachyOS, too. When Gaming is a primary Thing for You, this Distro is not wrong because it has that as a Focus.

1 Like

Welcome..Yes what @Ponce-De-Leon posted is all the errors(of late) that can be fixed just follow along with the instructions and Zorin will return to its Glory!!!

1 Like