Realtek ALC221 Audio

Ah, I see. Sorry for my misunderstanding there.

I will wait to see if @swarfendor437 's suggestions above help. This is because they are two very different directions. His suggestion is to blacklist the snd-hda-intel driver whereas mine is to modprobe it

sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel

1 Like

just woke up and hadn't had my :coffee: yet

I'll follow @swarfendor437 's solution up later ...

Modprobe sounds the most-deep-digged solution so here the output in advance:

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:191 kmod_module_parse_depline() ctx=0x560b3d0702a0 path=/lib/modules/5.15.0-87-generic/kernel/sound/hda/snd-intel-dspcfg.ko error=No such file or directory
modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:191 kmod_module_parse_depline() ctx=0x560b3d0702a0 path=/lib/modules/5.15.0-87-generic/kernel/sound/hda/snd-intel-dspcfg.ko error=No such file or directory
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'snd_hda_intel': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

To me all that sounds like the sys points to a non present HW!
Must check the BIOS settings again to see what's up there - maybe it just needs a patch or downgrade :grin:

But whatever - Idk - am just a stupid MS admin-on-search for a well working OS :wink:

c y'all later after my morning :coffee: & :sandwich:

ALC221 should be reasonably well supported. So this thread has been surprising.

But these modprobe errors are more surprising.
It looks as though you are missing the modules-extra pacakge.

Let's try something: install this kernel, including the Modules Extra:

sudo apt install linux-image-5.15.0-83-generic linux-headers-5.15.0-83-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-83-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-83-generic

Reboot - but bap the esc key (if needed) to go to the Grub menu at boot.
Select Advanced Options for Zorin and then select Zorin on 5.15.0-83 to boot up (do not select the one with the Recovery Option).

Once you reach the desktop, open terminal and check that you are running on the 5.15.0-83 kernel

uname -r

Now test sound - test modprobing it again if needed:

sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel

1 Like

booting the 5.15.0-83 Kernel worked!
You are my hero of the month !!!

... afterwards I just set the booted Kernel on default by following:

[HOW TO] set an older kernel to default boot

Great man! :muscle::grin: :+1:

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.