Release Date Zorin 17.1

Hi! I'm very excited about the release of ZorinOS 17.1 because I hope there will be a newer kernel version which will support more M2 SSD hardware. At this moment I can only use 16.3 which instantly and after a reboot recognizes my M2 SSD :frowning: ZorinOS 17 does seem to have problems with handling newer hardware, someone seems to have this problem too:

The only information about a date which I could find are in this post:

@AZorin mentions February/March as a possible release date.
Does anybody know anything more? Is this period still being targeted?
What's the current standing? Every little detail would be very interesting! :smiling_face: I can't wait to test 17.1! :slight_smile:

ZorinOS Generally works in a "release when it's ready"-kind of way. As such, there's no real ETAs to be given at this point in time.

What was said about kernels is true though, Canonical still supports them.

2 Likes

The rough average for point releases is about 6 months which might vary 1-2 months. So given 17 was released in December, you can expect 17.1 maybe in June 2024. That's just a guesstimate based on past releases. If 16.3 is working and 17 is not, it may be that something was deprecated from the kernel so it is possible 17.1 won't improve. I am just applying some reason - I have no information on what will be in the kernel - way beyond my comprehension skills.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum!

Did You use Zorin 17 with the 6.2 Kernel? Because Zorin 17 got an Kernel-Update and now runs with the 6.5 Kernel.

And when You need a newer Kernel you could install it.

1 Like

Last time I tried it with Zorin 17 was in january :slight_smile: I have Zorin 17 installed on a basic 2,5" SSD to boot my main computer from this disk to check if Zorin recognizes the internal M2 SSD :smiley: thanks for this idea, I could check if the current kernel/zorin-updates for 17 recognize my M2 better! I'll definitely let you know how it behaves now with the current zorin17 updates!

1 Like

I hope that it work for You.

Thank you so much!!! Indeed, meanwhile ZorinOS 17 uses Kernel 6.5.0-21! So it's newer than 6.5.0-15 when I had the problems!

I am so happy to use the new ZorinOS on my new computer, it's an awesome feeling. This is the most beautiful and stable debian based OS I know <3

Thank you @Ponce-De-Leon for the idea about updating the 17-Version :slight_smile:

1 Like