Release Zorin OS 16

Hi,

Soon (tm)

We have a poll to bet when the release gets; Just for fun: When's Z16 being released

:slight_smile:

On a serious note: Z16 Beta is rock stable.

1 Like

Unless you are holding out for Education, Ultimate or Lite, I would install Zorin OS 16 Beta. As many point out, it is very stable and solid.

1 Like

I am also waiting for its final release, but they have not given an exact date today July 20 and :smile:

It seems the odds has not moved for last 3 days.

1 Like

Hello:
After having consulted the most prestigious astrologers, including Nostradamus and his prophecies, as well as the most powerful quantum computers, I can state that on the 28th of this month the stable version will be available.
Greetings

5 Likes

Clean Install.

2 Likes

Can I able to upgrade to 16 to 15.3 LTS ... because I just installed it and setup for my needed ?

The Direct Upgrade option from Zorin 15 to Zorin 16 is not yet available. The ZorinGroup has stated that the feature is in progress and they hope to have it ready within this year.

This is an interesting take as us users have been saying differently through-out.
I have noticed that on Z16 Beta, certain directories are redirected (e.g. /bin, /sbin, /lib...) I had wondered about that.
The user experience, however, has been that Z16 Beta has been running very well.
It may be that both answers are true and that ZorinGroup is stating the Best Use case. It may also be that the ZorinGroup knows something we do not and that future updates will not work for the Beta build.

I think we need to direct attention to @azorin and @zorink to address this question on their forum and not just on twitter.

1 Like

HI all
Im in australia and just downloaded a large partial upgrade of over 200mb.
Firstly that seems large considering how far forward zorin 16 is in the beta, and i was alittle surprised of the description of "partial upgrade". i have been manual starting software updater every day for a while now. how do i check in terminal what vers. i now have beta or final

The usual lsb-release -a will not say if Beta or not. Nor will neofetch if you have Neofetch installed.
I think we currently only know the difference because Zorin 16 Final Release has not happened yet and when it does... Most people will know that they installed the Beta Version before hand.

This may have happened if a brief net drop caused the updater to not complete.
In terminal you may try running:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Followed with

sudo apt dist-upgrade

Many thanks, bit of wishful thinking
Regards

1 Like

Seems like direct upgrade is ready to go on Zorin 16.

That is the testing Repository... I would caution against using it as a gauge of readiness.

Yes thats true. Just posted this to show others the developement

1 Like

Also noticed software app store had updates too: GNOME Application Platform version 3.38 and GNOME Application Platform version 40. both of this are now very close to 1gig in size each. Can Version 3.38 be removed.
Regards

Unless the ZorinGroup makes a specific announcement, I would not recommend it.
Gnome 40 is quite new and generally has a lot of problems. I am not sure if the current Gnome Applications as well as Other Indie applications have been thoroughly and properly tested on Gnome 40. It may break packages or cause dependency problems.
Frankly, I am amazed it is showing up in Software of all places.
Even Ubuntu 21.04 set Gnome 40 aside in favor of Gnome 3.38 until Gnome 40 is better developed.

On my copy of Zorin OS 16, I am not seeing that show up in either updates or in Software.

Lastly, for something as major as offering Gnome 40 - Such things do not show up Unannounced by the ZorinGroup. While we may find ourselves waiting for announcements on certain things; I have never, not once, seen the ZorinGroup release something of magnitude without announcing it.

I have included a screen were it is listed as installed

I do not have those in my addons... But what you are showing is Installed- Software Store will show all installed packages, even if those packages are not offered by Software Store when they are not already installed on your system.

:scream:

Thanks for your response. Have noticed in software and updates that under other software unsupported updates have been ticked have i unknowingly ticked this by mistake, and will unticking this fix the problem or do i need to reinstall os

1 Like