Replace Ubuntu with Zorin without affecting user data

What I meant is to delete the Ubuntu root directory and assign that space for Zorin's root directory.

I thought that process might simplify things.

Welcome to the community @Gekkouga. I wanted to do the exact opposite of which you are asking :wink:, except removing Zorin.

You can follow my advice above regarding making a back up of the entire Home folder and Rescuezilla image backup before initiating making a big move.

Rescuezilla seems difficult :thinking:, or else they have not mentioned the steps in an easy manner

While no one will stop you to do your experiment, I do not think it is workable.

And will Rescuezilla back up all my files and stuff

It will.
But it can only restore the disk as a whole image.
It is not possible to pick and chose what you want to restore.
It is works like a Time-machine in macOS to revert back to how things were before the any changes made.

hmm... so for example if i backup there and if i want to restore it, then what will be its process

I am in a hurry just because i wanted to use Ubuntu with GNOME 40 :wink:

You should check the Rescuezilla site I gave above.
There is a good tutorial which I see no point for me to repeat here.

Oh thank you so much. One last thing, after installing ubuntu in another partition, will it's grub clash with zorin os' grub

"Hurry" is a main ingredient of a recipe for disaster.

Take your time and try to understand the whole procedure before jumping into making any major changes unless you are under the gun point (and I assume you are not).

1 Like

Yup of course not :joy:

Hi, welcome.

No, it is not possible to replace Ubuntu with Zorin and keep everything from data (/) .
You can backup data and specific folder only.
If you have Ubuntu on 2 separate partition, root on one and home on second, than you can use those "home" partition on Zorin

1 Like

Then, off to the Rescuezilla and read and study.

It is a stand alone software and you need to create a bootable USB to use it. Whole procedure is in GUI and beginner friendly.

In fact, I made a Rescuezilla USBs and gave them as a Christmas gift for my husband in addition to his daughter. The super penguin is absolutely cute!
:penguin:

A post was split to a new topic: Trapped inside logical partition

54 posts were merged into an existing topic: Trapped inside logical partition

Alright, thanks.

I do not want to risk my data. I'll just follow backup and restore.

If you think the problem is solved, you can mark the thread as solved by ticking :ballot_box_with_check:
This will help future visitors to this forum to find a solution they are looking for.

2 Likes

What do you mean by data? Personal files and/or applications?

Applications will have to be reinstalled. There is a how to in the tutorials and guides section that will make that easier (perform prior to reinstallation).

It depends on how you installed Ubuntu. If your home directory is in the same partition as Ubuntu, i advise saving that to to a usb. If it's in its own partition, you will mount it in gparted during the installation at /home, without formatting. Then you can choose something else in the Zorin installer from the live cd. In the partition window at the top, scroll to the Ubuntu partition, format to ext4 and choose mount point /. In the unused space, create a large partition, formatted as ext4 and mount as /home. Choose the efi partition to install the bootloader from the dropdown list. After the installer finishes, copy home contents from usb to your /home/[username]/ directory. This will save your data and some of your configurations.

You may want to read up on partitioning prior to partaking this endeavor to have a better understanding.

Note: home stores your downloads, documents, videos and pictures. This will prevent personal data loss.