Screen black

Hello, yesterday I downloaded ZORIN core 15.3 64bits ,i was browsing the internet, after some hours the screen became black, like the screen wasn't working, i tried to switch off and on, the same, i took my frend's HDD, in hope to reinstall my previous windows 7lite, but now my computer totally blocked, i took another oitside moniter via HDMI and it appeared, i want this tobe resolved to remove Zorin and run back with my previous windows 7, i have an packard bell easy note/ intel CPU os the images but on my computer screen is still totally black and showed the message

How did you install Zorin. Are you intending to dual-boot with Windows 7?

It may be worth your while reading advice here: Before you install

Also this may help: [SOLVED] Black screen after install

Yeah, kind like two Os in the same computer right ?

Please, i really need a help

You need to run file system check or fsck
You must Unmount the drive, first. You may prefer to use the Installation disk you installed Zorin with. Boot up in Try Zorin.
Then open a terminal and unmount your HDD

sudo umount /dev/sda5

Then run fsck on it:

sudo fsck -y /dev/sda5

Please may you explain me deeply step by step, first i used usb flash disk for zorin installation, so second thing i can not use my computer screen it's not lighted i mean, over black my pc's screen, and i can not see when my pc is booting no way to see even when i'm pushing F2 to gettin' to the BIOS (still black, but when i tried my HDMI cable to monitoring with another screen, it's remain black for some minutes and until "Zorin" appear and blocked
I also tried to put my hard disc driver in my friend's computer
in hope to change the Os even from there and i get this page on the screen ( °Zorin
°Advanced option for zorin
°Memorytest
°Windows 7 Aero blue lite, i'm stressed, what to do ?

When you took the hard disc to another persons computer, the monitor worked?

The screen you describe is the boot up Grub Menu. From there, you can arrow key to the Operating System you want to boot and hit enter to boot that OS up.

I see Windows Aero is an option to boot up on that list. What happens if you boot up in Windows Aero?

Yup, it's work(HDD), from another one's computer

Windows Aero, it's a second OS, it's booting and after loading, it appears an error message, that one i know it's because the windows Aero OS was installed from another computer (packard bell) thing like uncompatibility of drivers between both computers (Toshiba and Packard bell)

Is the original device a notebook (laptop) or a PC tower computer?
If the HDD is working and booting on another computer- I would check the Monitor and its connections on the original.

It is still entirely possible that Graphics drivers are failing on the original computer, causing the black screen. But I have never heard of such occurring on Linux at Boot as you describe. The computer needs to boot up in order to init the Graphics Drivers. Prior to that, graphics is run off the Motherboard. So, you should see the Grub Menu before any graphics difficulties begin.
For this reason, it really seems to be a hardware issue.

The original is a laptop, both are laptop, i mean

What should i do, if it's a hardware problem ?

But let's me check the monitor cables then

What i might do on the Grub menu, please any directive!

Here is now what appeared when i tried to boot with a Usd key, that i had install (Zorin Os 15.3 64bits) with before and i got this page (on my original laptop but with a HDMI cable with an external monitor.

What to do as next step please !!!

1 Like

On Grub, you can select which operating system you want to load or boot. Arrow key down to your selection and hit enter and that selected operating system should then boot up.

Monitor on notebook (laptop):
Many Notebooks have an outgoing port for additional monitors. You can try to connect an external monitor to your laptop, then boot and test to see if that external monitor connected t your monitor gives proper display. If it does, then this is a very strong indication that something is wrong with the built in Monitor of the notebook. You MAY be able to set up the external display as your primary monitor as a temporary display (as a "band-aid") in order to regain functionality of the computer. But this would be tricky.
You can check the ribbon connection from the graphics board inside of the notebook to the notebook monitor - ensure it is secure. If it is splitting - replace it. If it is not securely connected - reconnect the ribbon cable, then test that the signal is going through by carefully powering the notebook on prior to reassembly.
If you can find nothing wrong with the connection or cable, you can check the Backlight of the Notebook monitor.

The final option would be to replace the Notebook Monitor:

Everything listed there looks normal. This is the notebook hooked up to an external monitor?
I am sorry to say that it looks like the notebook monitor is failing.

Yup, from an external monitor by HDMI cable

Wow, failed ?
Needs to change i think ?

Given what you have described, It is the strongest guess.
If it was me, I would double check everything to be sure.

I think it very unlikely that installing a Linux Distribution contributed to the failing Monitor. It's just the age of the equipment and was bound to fail sometime.
Which part of the monitor failed - we do not yet know. I gave some links above for testing the backlight - you can run some more specific searches to find more.

If you would provide the model of your laptop that you're having issues with it would give us some much needed information to assist you. As of now we are working in the dark and guessing what the issues are because "laptop" can be any of a number of companies and models. What works for hp may not be relevant to Lenovo or dell. Asus has its own quirks while acer is a completely different animal. Age of the device plays a part, if it's old enough, may only need to purchase and change out the screen, could be the motherboard itself (though i have rarely seen mb's fail, they normally outlast most of the other components, unless you're overclocking or the fans fail).

The key to resolving issues is providing information and participating in the solution. Frantic messages of fix it are neither helpful nor informative. Relax and share the information that is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Try the offered methods and respond with the results. As frustrating as it is for you, it is just as frustrating for us when we are working with limited information.

1 Like