Screen refresh difficulties

@337harvey Alright, so I went back to my previous post where @Aravisian has helped me with my keyboard, now my grub line looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset atkbd.reset=1 i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset=1 i8042.nopnp=1 i8042.dumbkbd=1 quiet splash intel_iommu=on"

and its functional, I just don't have sound, can't change brightness and I can't change my resolution.
But hey, progress. And the dang stuttering screen is gone :wink:

I'm going to bed :slight_smile:
Thanks for all the help, and maybe some more progress tomorrow/ next week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe @Aravisian will have a direction from what we tried and the results you received from each. I'm sorry we couldn't get it today. I'll keep looking and see if there is another possible resolution.

1 Like

Bump, any more ideas? :slight_smile:

When you say you do not have sound, can you clarify? Do you mean sound controls on the keyboard or nothing from the speakers?

Controls work, volume meter shows, but there is no "physical" sound coming out of the laptop

Sound may be a separate issue?

Might be, i'm still kind of linking everything on a kernel issue. I think it might be the optimal next step to start downgrading kernals 1 by 1, what do you think?

I agree... Don't get me wrong. But it may be separate and that needs to be acknowledged. The kernel does govern both as it is what contains the drivers.
You may try the 5.8 kernel.
Or the 5.14 kernel. I would go for 5.8 first, just to be sure.

I tried the 5.8, which caused even more flashing of my screen, I think post 16 was related to it :slight_smile: I tried 5.8.0-69 and 5.8.050800, so I'm gonna check what 5.14 might offer me!

@Aravisian did you mean 5.4?

No, I meant 5.14. Get above the 5.11 regressions and other fiascos.
There is still one remaining fiasco to hurdle in 5.14, however. The libc6 compiler dependency problem.
To that end...
I recompiled a 5.14 headers file to allow it to be installed on Zorin OS.
Please see:

If you would like a PM, please let me know.

1 Like

Woah, if you would be so kind, I would love to give it a try. Could you PM me the info?

Ehh, I think I found it :smiley:
Adding i915.enable_psr=0 to grub completely removed the screen stutter! No idea what I did but it made it go away instead of nomodeset!
In the newer kernel that is!

1 Like

So is that kernel 5.14? Or do you mean 5.11.37? It's difficult to infer which one since you downgraded to 5.8. Both of the versions i mentioned in the beginning of this is newer than 5.8.

Just for brevity - I can answer on behalf of the O.P. - Grandjaeger is using the 5.11.0-37 kernel and the solution of changing the resolution worked on that kernel.

2 Likes

With so many grub flags how else are you to know which one to use other than trial and error?

2 Likes

Does the OP still suffer no sound?

1 Like

Yes, opened a new topic. Yoga i9 slim i think.

1 Like

Ah. Found it: No sound Lenvo Yoga 9i Slim

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.