Screen resolution support

I'm currently using VirtualBox as my VM

Did you added vbox guest and run its script?

Also you need to add your user account in vbox to vboxsf (only needed for sharing files from your system to vm).

Yes, I already did that on the first place

OK, can you be more specific about your OS environment?

Hardware: Lenovo Flex 2-14 Laptop
Host OS : Windows :arrow_left: Which version? 64/32 bit?
Virtualbox: :arrow_left: Which version?
Guest OS: Zorin :arrow_left: Which version? 64/32 bit?

Windows 64 bit (20H2)
VirtualBox 6.1.22 r144080 (Qt5.6.2)
Zorin 16 64 bit

It seems you are in a wrong place to ask this question.

Majority of us are not using Windows as a host to run Linux guest on it.

I, for example, use Windows as a guest OS on the Zorin host. I also have one dual-boot machine (Windows / Zorin) which obviously requires no virtualization.

Have you ever thought of checking places such as Windows 10 forum on Reddit or Windows Central forum?

1 Like

I agree with @FrenchPress , I havn't used Windows in years other than I tried the Windows 10 that I got for free when I handpicked all my hardware for my Desktop. But ditched it after a couple of days.

Why not Dual boot? Instead of VM?

1 Like

I am second to that.
Especially if one is a gamer, dual booting afford 100% computer capacity for each operating system.

I use Windows as a VM because of the security reason. My dual boot Windows is for testing purpose only and I run Windows insider on that machine - but not for my serious work.

Adding my agreement to the above: Asking ona Virtualbox forum maybe a good way to go, as well.
As the above thread indicates; For me as a member of the forum, I would not want to give you the wrong information or mislead you in attempting to help. I should have noted that your display was Virtual1 and put the pieces together (how embarrassing) but in the end, I led you on quite a merry goosechase before you figured it out on your own.

1 Like

Actually, I have learnt a lot from this thread.

It is always best to clarify the environment of the person who is asking for help.

For many people, computer = Windows machine
and do not give much detail to start with.

Well, I also did not expect Windows user came up to this forum and ask questions - not even in my wildest dream :roll_eyes:

Hello, I had the same issue (also running inside a virtual machine, Virtualbox, to test out before I partition my hard drive to dual boot this).

I'd just like to summarise the steps I did for any future readers with the same issue, as it took me a while to read and understand this thread.

1. Enter the following in a terminal window: cvt 1920 1080 59
  2. Use output from the cvt command with xandr to enter in terminal: xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_59.00" 169.00 1920 2040 2240 2560 1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
  3. Then finally: xrandr --addmode Virtual1 "1920x1080_59.00"
  4. Open display settings and select 1920x1080 from the dropdown dialog.

I have a feeling the guest additions would have sorted this out, but I've been testing various distros all afternoon (Ubuntu, Mint, OpenSUSE) and this was the first one that didn't support my resolution out of the box. :man_shrugging:

This seems like a cool community though and awesome project :slight_smile: Linux is way too inaccessible for most non techies.

3 Likes

please can you explain how to replace it im a noob

"Replacing" in this case refers to replacing which Screen Device is referenced in using the xrandr command.
If your xrandr command says

xrandr --addmode HDMI1....

But you are not using an HDMI monitor, then that reference will go nowhere. So, you must replace it with the name of the device that you are using.