Screens blanking and losing settings

I am using Zorin OS 15 on a Dell Optiplex 7040. It has an Intel Core i7-6700 processor and 44Gb RAM. The OS is running on a 500Gb SSD and there is another 240Gb SSD in the CD tray space. The NVidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics card is connected to twin monitors.

My problem is that occasionally during use - about every 45 minutes - there is a USB type pling and both screens go blank. They come back again within a few seconds but system has lost its settings and the screens are mirrored instead of extended so I have to go and change that. Most annoying.

I have tried using the X. Org X server driver as well as the latest NVIDIA driver 470 but it happens with both of them.

I thought that it might be the pwer supply so I replaced the 180W supply with a 240W supply, but it's still happening.

Does anyone know what my problem might be? Is there a log that I can look at that might tell me what is happening?

Andy

I don't have your hardware but this thread refers to a problem with dual monitors and the same Nvidia card as yours. Maybe worth a look:

Which particular version and flavour of Z15 do you run. e.g. Z15.3 Core, Lite etc ?

I am running Zorin 15.3 and I think it's the Lite version.
The driver is Nvidia driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-470 (proprietary, tested)

My Additional Drivers shows a NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-390 (proprietary) but it is not tested.

Andrew

What have you got to lose? The current driver is blanking and losing settings.
I say to Go For It.
If that doesn't work, the proprietary drivers on Linux on the newer kernels have been a bit snaggly. The Nouveau open source may do you more justice:

sudo ubuntu-drivers install

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.