Share your desktop, what does it look like?

They also do it in MATE! It has taken me to a new learning curve in the KDE version. No Discover, No Apper, just Synaptic and Konsole. No sudo, just su, password for root, then:

apt-get install [name of package] if it exists.

Currently tried to install LIOS (Linux Intelligent OCR Solution) but think I have foobard it as I installed as root and permissions are root - had to install packages from gitlab but had to sign up for an account before I could access it! Also installed OCRFeeder but nothing happens after clicking on the icon. Pulse audio is present by default, alongside ALSA, but had to use Konsole to install alsa-tools (All the QAS packages, including mixer). Still sounds coming out the wrong speakers! But just glad I am rid of systemd and elogind!

Here is a modified PCLinuxOS made to look like Zorin!:

61 Wallpapers for different distros:

I also might put GhostBSD back on a second drive, this from The Register in November, 2023:

"However, as vast sprawling modern subsystems such as systemd, snap, Wayland, and Flatpak take over more and more of Linux, FreeBSD offers a refuge where you will find traditional Unix sanity. And for now, GhostBSD is by far the easiest way to put it on a PC alongside some other operating systems. ®"

2 Likes

It could be newer version.
I heard Fedora 40 is better what before with newest KDE.

1 Like

I prefer to install BSD to bare metal, not as a VM. I've tried FreeBSD, PCBSD (which became TrueOS then dropped by NAS devs who wanted/needed to concentrate on NAS), MidnightBSD and dragonflyBSD without success. The only one I got anywhere with was GhostBSD.

1 Like

Yes. I will installing OpenBSD I reading is best option for desktop if you are not a gaming.
I also will working with this.

2 Likes

Green lines.

5 Likes

Tried PCLinuxOS and was quite pleased with it, lots of attention to detail! Unfortunately I had a few issues from the get go with the touchpad, audio and video stuttering. I might put some time in to try and fix those, maybe ask in their forum, but for now MX Linux suits me better (this was on a separate low-end laptop, not my main machine).

1 Like

Deleted snap and snapd and working ok.
Reading some things maybe are not 100% good but nobody is perfect.
Working OOB recognize all hardware.

5 Likes

An older google now wallpaper on 17 core. Orchis GTK, Papirus Folders.

4 Likes

PCLinuxOS 24.04 running Trinity Destkop r14.1.2:

Trinity Desktop with Z logo wallpaper and Gold Z Menu icon:

4 Likes

Solus OS
Plasma 6
Drake Icon Theme

4 Likes

5 Likes

dual monitors

5 Likes

Hi all, so a lot has happened since i last popped in here. Well my place i live had a bad five alarm fire and was destroyed on April 29. 150 firefighters to control and put out the blaze. Thankfully no injuries. I have since been under the care of the Red Cross and my support team. I got some encouraging news today which gives me hope. Just a moment at a time. So i thought i would post a screenshot of my desktop featuring a sunrise of hope wallpaper :sunny::white_heart:

11 Likes

So sorry to hear that must have been awful, wish you well for the future :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Hi @AhavaLeaf, so sorry to hear of your traumatic event. Glad you are safe.

3 Likes

Sad Situation. Good, that You are okay. I wish You the best.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for yours kind words, truly means a lot. :white_heart::white_heart:

2 Likes

I hope everything gets better soon. :pray:

1 Like

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

1 Like

5 Likes