Slow launch of web browsers and some apps

Hello, first post.

I've been using Zorin for 2 months now and have been very pleased with the layout, intuitiveness and feel of the distro.

One thing that has been present from the start is slow launch of web browsers and some apps such as steam. I will launch from desktop, and it will take 20-30 seconds to launch. This doesn't happen for all apps - for example GIMP, calc, writer all react as I would expect. Only web browsers and a few other internet reliant apps.

Is this something I can do anything about?

Cheers.

PS - I use Brave, firefox and Chromium.

1 Like

Is your computer using a mechanical hard drive? That alone can make things run quite slow on a computer. But 20-30 seconds sounds a bit excessive even for mechanical.

CTRL ALT T to enter terminal.

Please launch one of the browsers you use from a terminal window. Then copy and paste the code here for us to analyze. It might be that errors are being reported, and terminal will allow us to see them.

PS: if you are using mechanical, I strongly recommend upgrading to SSD.

2 Likes

Too many extensions, maybe?

Hi, thanks for the replies. The drive is a WD Blue HDD, so yeah, need to upgrade it. Funily enough when I launched it from terminal, it seemed far quicker to react than when i launch from desktop, although it didn't load quickly after the window opened.

Here is the terminal output:

:~$ brave
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
[7738:7762:1119/061458.290130:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(642)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.ListActivatableNames: object_path= /org/freedesktop/DBus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.169" (uid=1000 pid=7738 comm="/snap/brave/137/opt/brave.com/brave/brave --enable" label="snap.brave.brave (enforce)") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="ListActivatableNames" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus" (bus)
Failed to parse JSON adblock resources: EOF while parsing a value at line 1 column 0
[7738:7738:1119/061500.118301:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(642)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.GetActive: object_path= /org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: This method is not implemented
[7738:7738:1119/061500.119501:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(642)] Failed to call method: org.gnome.ScreenSaver.GetActive: object_path= /: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.174" (uid=1000 pid=7738 comm="/snap/brave/137/opt/brave.com/brave/brave --enable" label="snap.brave.brave (enforce)") interface="org.gnome.ScreenSaver" member="GetActive" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.gnome.ScreenSaver" (uid=1000 pid=1921 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-shell " label="unconfined")
[7738:7791:1119/061500.966641:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(226)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking Bluetooth availability started. Please report if there is no report that this ends.
[7738:7791:1119/061500.966663:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(229)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking Bluetooth availability ended.
[7738:7791:1119/061500.966671:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(232)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking default browser status started. Please report if there is no report that this ends.
[7738:7791:1119/061501.048510:ERROR:chrome_browser_main_extra_parts_metrics.cc(236)] crbug.com/1216328: Checking default browser status ended.
[7738:7755:1119/061501.076905:ERROR:udev_watcher.cc(98)] Failed to begin udev enumeration.

Here is the terminal

You have Brave Broswer installed with the Snap Package. Snap has a variety of problems, including that it sandboxes applications. Applications are already sandboxed by default, so this actually Double-sandboxes them. In the case of Snap, it is now sandboxed from the very system that it is trying to run on.
So, your browser is isolated away from the app armor and policykit. It is also isolating the Chrome-Browser portion of Brave from bluetooth.

You might say, "That doesn't make sense. Why would Snap do that? Why would Canonical be pushing Snap so hard when it does these things?"

Good questions.

The solution:
Use the .deb, instead.
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/brave?dist=focal

Then,

sudo snap remove brave-browser

sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk0 libcanberra-gtk-module

3 Likes

Great, thank you very much for the solution to this and the explanation of why this was happening.

Very much appreciated. All working lightning quick now.

Having watched recent YouTube video on browsers (I'm leaving Firefox, and this is the browser I picked... - YouTube) I now prefer epiphany over any other browser and it is native to Gnome (and I'm using it in KDE!)
Another web browser to consider is Falkon, formerly qupzilla.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Zorin OS 16 Google Chrome slow to load

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.