So very TRYing . . . first steps in Zorin

OK, its back to 'life' and I have inserted the 56GB USB.

(to clarify - I am on the ThinkPad with Zorin Forum with the Lenovo also going just for the Zorin TRYing.)

It would be good to see a screenshot of the disk management with both usb sticks plugged in.
To take a screenshot, hold down the windows key on your keyboard then while still holding down the windows key, click the "Print on keyboard normally in the top right of keyboard )

All, the Lenovo only has ONE USB connection. I have an OLD USB splitter - do you want me to use that?
Here goes -

No just start with the 56gb stick,
Are you doing this on the new Lenovo IdeaPad 3. or on thinkpad?

BLASTED Windows 11 - I can't get to disk management - it keeps sending me to a web search page!!

try this.
Press Windows key + R to open the run command box.
then type into run area " diskmgmt.msc " then click enter

finally got disk management to open. Al, I had put the 56 and 256 USB on splitter.
Did a print screen (Lenovo has key just for that). Its copied to clipboard - how to transfer to here?

There is a option to : Select here to Mark up and share the image. Do I click that?

Al are you there? (have I exhausted your patience?)

try printscrenn , the photo will be in your pictures folder. when it comes time to upload the photo to here.
In the reply click the 4th from top right icon ( hovering your curse/mouse pointer will show " upload"
then click/open your pictures folder , then select the item labeled screenshot.

no just a slow at typing, plus have a dog wanting attention here & there, it's also hot here 36c atm, ( at the moment= atm ), also i have bird , to which i best attend to now,, so back in 10=20min's.. again :smile:

I can see the screen shot image, but NOT how to get it onto this forum
Sorry about dog - have that challenge here too. Is there a download to this message option?
(Window 11 is NOT helpful to say the very least)

I have been typing since the mid 1960s and I am still LOUSY at it, not to mention a big bust at spelling too. The going half joke with me is that the only key I wear out is the backspace one!

Al can't get how to share the print screen of screen shot - its on the Lenovo and I'm on my other (ThinkPad) laptop. HOW do I get that screen shot to display here?

After figuring out how to use Windows 11 (a hair puller at that) I managed to copy the file to USB then put that into the Thinkpad and download onto this thread.

as you can see, neither of the 2 USB sticks showed on the disk management screen?

sorry im still not quite back ,,, try 1 stick at a time, first the 56gb,,, close DM ( disk management)
insert 56gb stick then open DM.
If you dont want anything from that usb stick, you can try right clicking the usb stick at the top section & click format, if this works when prompted change the format to Fat32, then click "Start" at the bottom...

back soon.

Al is it totally necessary to use a USB stick to just TRY and see what Zorin looks like before I install it? I did initially think I would like Zorin on a USB stick, but now that seems to not be such a grand idea. Easier to disconnect from wifi when I want to up/download from my files/pictures that are already stored on the (256GB) stick. And I would like to get a good look at Zorin before I start to 'enrich' it.

For sure I do NOT want to mess with Windows - esp. 11 - any more than I have to. And I think the 'non-tradtional' installing has lots of merit to it.

Trying & Installing via USB Stick is actually how I use Zorin OS on my computer, why not do that yourself?

How is using a USB stick more helpful? I'd rather use a USB for 'storage' of private information that can't be viewed when I am online.

Ok
using the 256gb stick,,,

you need to first transfer/copy your folder/files/photo ect anything you wish to keep, (to lets say to make it easy a new folder on the screen/desktop.. of that pc, transfer/copy all your wanted files/ect into that folder) this is the easiest way, later after we copy that fold back to the 256gb stick, you can delete/remove it from your screen/pc ....
let me know when you have finished,,, im back & forth atm.

1 Like

Not sure I am understanding the 'why' I would need to transfer my files etc. off of the USB - EXCEPT if I wanted to use that USB for mounting Zorin onto. IS the Zorin download on the Lenovo only able to install (traditional way) - not allowing me to ONLY TRY Zorin from the Lenovo (directly)?

If that is so, I can and will prepare the 56GB stick for (installing?) Zorin.