Software center do not show installed apps

My "Installed" tab in the Software Store has gone blank. How can I get this to show all the installed apps?

I have tried sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-software and it worked; but everytime I turn on my pc, the Installed tab is blanked again. I do not know if there is a solution to this.

2 Likes

Kill Software and clear the cache:

killall gnome-software

rm ~/.cache/gnome-software

Then, as you did above:

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-software

See if that lasts a reboot.

1 Like

Hey Aravisian, i have exactly the same issue of not showing install apps. I also tried twice to kill gnome-software, but nothing happened its showing a blank screen.
I don't know may be a conflict between the two stores because i installed 2 stores, one is software center and other is snap store. Can anyone have a solution for removing this error
Thanks Zorin Community

Zorin OS comes with the Software Store that includes SnapD.
This also includes the gnome-software plugin for Snap packages.
Please apt remove --purge the snap store and remove any ~/.cache or ~/.config files for the snap store and see if that helps.

1 Like

In the Client settings, under Software Center, choose Customize. Now there is an option to Hide installed applications in Software Center.

1 Like

Hi, I tried this and got this message:
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 13-24-08

Interestingly, I am not finding Software Center in my settings menu. But I did find Software and Updates under Applications and found this:
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 13-31-10

Try

rm -rf ~/.cache/gnome-software

1 Like

I tried it, nothing.
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 13-43-55

Just in case that was normal, I restarted my laptop, went to Software Center and this time I got a spinning wheel when I clicked on the Installed tab, which usually meant it was loading the apps, but this time, after about a minute of spinning, it was still blank.

Realized I forgot the 'killall' command, so started over, restarted, still same result: got spinning wheel, but blank page.

Screenshot from 2022-10-05 14-00-09

Can you please now run:

sudo apt install -reinstall gnome-software

Log out and back in or reboot
Launch Software store and test...

1 Like

This time I got this:
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 14-21-34

Thanks for your assistance btw Aravisian. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

My second typo in this thread... I am on a roll.
It is

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-software

I am trying to achieve the "Incompetent" badge, today.

1 Like

lol! you and me both...but learning as I go. :wink:
Okay, well, this time this is what I got:

then I only logged out and back in and then checked the Installed tab, and after about only 30sec this time it loaded the apps, but then I thought to totally restart the computer, and when I returned to the Installed tab, after about almost aminute of loading: blank. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :unamused: :face_exhaling: :-1:

So, it did work... but did not stay working after reboot.
As a test, can see if if Snapd is conflicting?

killall snap-store

Then test the Software app...

(Note: I checked the above for typos before submitting.)

1 Like

This is what I got:
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 14-50-14
..and yes, still blank.

Well, from this we now know it is not that...

So, let's repeat some steps from above, but a bit more thoroughly and see if the results stick around.

killall gnome-software

rm -rf ~/.cache/gnome-software

sudo apt remove --purge gnome-software

At this point, please read the Terminal output of any dependencies that will be removed along with gnome-software. IF you see anything like "Zorin-desktop" listed, please select n and relay what you saw in this thread.
Otherwise... click on y and proceed
Next:

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt update && sudo apt install gnome-software

sudo apt dist-upgrade -y

Once that is all done, can you run a series of tests on Software and see if we managed to beat it into submission.

1 Like

Yep, got the 'zorin-os-desktop':
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 15-01-29

Ok, in this case we have a choice.
We can play it safe and instead use:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-software

sudo apt dist-upgrade -y

Or...
Be daredevils and go for broke:

sudo apt remove --purge gnome-software

sudo apt install zorin-os-desktop gnome-software gnome-software-plugin-flatpak gnome-software-plugin-snap

sudo apt dist-upgrade -y

1 Like

And the possible consequence of being a daredevil iiisss??? lol!

I was on the verge of reinstalling zorin, or perhaps another distro, at this point. So if this doesn't work, that is what I'll be doing next. :wink:

Minor, other than any aggravation that a hiccough could cause.
You are currently using the Zorin Desktop so removing it during use could corrupt some files. While it is a low risk, especially since you will run the reinstall command immediately after... if your local area suddenly happened to have a power outage at that moment, you could find yourself with an OS without a desktop upon booting up. This would entail having to enter the recovery menu and reinstalling the packages, then booting up.
Not a huge risk, but it's better to leave it to you to decide.

I have done... much much worse things on my poor battered build of Zorin OS over this past year...

1 Like