Software center do not show installed apps

Okay, going daredevil, but after the first command got the same results above with the 'zorin-os-desktop' in the results, and the prompt to continue or not...should I 'n' then continue with the last two commands?
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 15-24-19
Oh, I think I get now, I should 'Y' then continue, right?

Yes, hit the y option, just be sure to run the install command right after:

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt install zorin-os-desktop gnome-software gnome-software-plugin-flatpak gnome-software-plugin-snap

1 Like

Okay, this is what we got:
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 15-42-16

That's very odd...

Can you please launch (If able) Software & Updates and switch to Main Server
Then run:

sudo apt --fix-broken install

1 Like

When attempting to adress the blank Installed tab before, I remember being able to get to that setting and switching it to main server, after reading your recommendation fo this, but if anything, it seems like I had more error messages after doing this. I attempted to find it again, but it wouldn't lauch from here:
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 15-50-18
I have varying error messages related to app library and snap from over the last few months captured I could load here.

This may explain a lot!

For now, please tap alt+F2 then enter in
software-properties-gtk

That should launch the Software & Updates app.
Then ensure set to Main Server.
If you are unable, for now just please run:

sudo apt --fix-broken install

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

1 Like

It opened, and as I thought, I already had it set to Main server:
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 16-06-50
Could there be anything off with the settings for 'Downloadable from the internet'? I ran the first command above and got:
Screenshot from 2022-10-05 16-09-20
Should I still run the second command?

Check the four top boxes that you see in your screenshot to on.
Canonical-supported free and open-source (main) should be checked.

I do not know if you have any prorpietary devices... but it is safe to have that box checked and it may be useful in the future.

Once that is done, please try:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

1 Like

Okay, top four boxes ticked (source code not), and command ran, and what we got:

Screenshot from 2022-10-05 16-22-14
Yea or nay?
Okay, I just went to close the Software & Updates settings window and it gave me a message that I needed to reload to get new updated infor for available packages...should this have been done before running the command?

Yep, y

It's fine, the "sudo apt update" took care of that.

1 Like

Okay, here is what I got:

Screenshot from 2022-10-05 16-37-19
...and shortly after that I got a notice for firefox and zorin os base updates, A LOT of os base updates. letting that rest for now, I went and checked the Installed tab, and after some loading time it did load. I will run the updates, then restart the computer and look again...fingers crossed! lol!

Yes, the updates are important.

I realize that for many users migrating from Windows OS, they are in the habit of distrusting updates.
On Zorin OS, you are far better off allowing updates. There is no spyware on Zorin OS.

Yes, I always allow updates, I just like to see the process and not let it run in the background without me knowing it's going on. When I used to let it do that, my computer would lag big time. And having two different updaters, it would happen too often.

So anyway, after all that, and the recent updates, which happen to say at the very end 'snap has been updated' (which usually seems to correlate with problems in Software Center), restarted checked Installed tab, no spinning wheel, just blank.

So I don't know, but I thank you for your valiant effort and sticking with me through this. I have been checking out other distros this afternoon and I may be trying something different. I enjoyed zorin for the last few years, but the latest versions have seemed to be a bit more clunky. Could be my 2014 laptop, and maybe Zorin Lite might work better. I tried it this last time I reinstalled the os, but it had a few missing features that I liked, so I upped to core.

If you still have suggestions, I'm open, but I'll check back tomorrow.

I'm saving this thread for all the helpful tips you provided, so a good eve to you, and thanks again! :smiling_face: :+1: :milky_way: :stars: :peace_symbol:

1 Like

I would actually ask if you use Snap Packages. As above, we noted several issues there.
If you do not use them, you might simply resolve the issue by removing snapd and the gnome-software-plugin for it.
I do not use Snap at all, so I remove those right off.

Generally, I do not use the software store at all, but I will admit, I have far, far fewer issues with it than most since Flatpak and Snap are wiped from my build.

This may help you.

2 Likes

Gnome Softwere Center is a drag on Zorin OS, so I hope a replacement will be considered in the future.

1 Like

Actually, The Gnome Software Center works without a hitch on newer release of it.

You mean Gnome 40+.

Which is odd to me.
I am no conspiracy claimant - by a long shot. I debunk Conspiracy claims all the time.
Yet, it seems very odd to me that the Gnome-Software app has been dealing with Bug reports for years - same issues...
And suddenly, Gnome fixed it all in Gnome 40?

I think they needed to pull in some method of support for Gnome 40. Give it some perks to entice people to use it, in spite of the massive damage LibAdwaita did to the desktop. They knew LibAdwaita would go over poorly.
And it certainly did with Suse, Canonical and others backing out.

1 Like

Good day, I do use the software store, and one time recently when I was actually able to access the Installed apps, I looked into removing snapd, but it didn't have a 'remove' button. So how would I go about removing these (wipe them from my build as you say) without being able to access them through the Software Center program?

I feel I am reaching my limitation with working with linux, because of my lack of coding skills.

If I was to do a fresh install of zorin os, are there options to configure the Software Center to not use flatpak and snapd? And will that make it a bit more involved to install a program? I know I am a 'lazy' computer user, I want things as simple as possible, but this is in alignment with life for me in general, I am simplifying things more and more, and perhaps I am just reaching the end of my involvement with computers on a regular basis.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Yes, it truly is the only consistant thing I have a problem with in zorin. Otherwise, I have really liked zorin.

1 Like

It is interesting how your two questions blend together.
Snapd and flatpak can both be removed very easily.
Open terminal and run:

sudo apt remove --purge snapd

If you wish to remove both, apt can handle a list:

sudo apt remove --purge snapd flatpak

If we go Star Trekkie here... Imagine you say, "Computer. Remove snapd."
Then you hear Majel say, "Snapd removed. All systems functioning within normal parameters."

This is a good reason why I do not use Software store. It is not easy to use.
Software store does not notify the user of any dependencies being removed. That's actually critical information... I have seen users inadvertently remove their entire desktop as a dependency before they realize what happened.

If using a Software Management GUI tool, I recommend Synaptic.
The Software Store is easier to grasp at a moment without having to learn anything. But Synaptic is easier to actually use because it is verbose and informative.

No coding skills needed.

Yes, I believe so by removing the plugins:

sudo apt remove gnome-software-plugin-snapd gnome-software-plugin-flatpak

No, all apt programs will install in the same normal manner.

2 Likes