Software Store - authentication not working

Yes, it completed the update - thanks.

The keyring unlock you pointed me to work perfectly, thanks! Still can’t unlock my user info in Settings, but at least the keyring is resolved. Thanks again.

Sorry, I forgot that you’d need the GUI with seahorse. Follow above to get to terminal and then do rm ~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring - that is also mentioned right after the GUI approach in the link I posted earlier.

I was able to get the GUI with the instruction in the link you sent, so all is good there!

Try sudo usermod -U <username> to see if that unlocks your settings.

So I tried launching Software first (before trying sudo usermod -U <my username>) - got a spinner for a moment then nothing. Then I did executed that, and got the same result - spinner then nothing.

So then I though, how about just trying to launch Software from Terminal and see the output? So I did - again doing a before (no sudo) and after. I got some interesting info from that - when I try to launch from Terminal using gnome-software (no sudo) I get a Segmentation fault, which I have no idea what that means. But when I use sudo gnome-software it works just fine.

So… maybe that’s a clue to why it’s happening? At least a clue to someone, I have no idea what a Segmentation fault in this context.

Again, thanks for the continued effort and feedback. Maybe someone runs across this, knows what it means, and we can fix this for users running into it.

Here’s a screen:

Thanks. I’ll ask @AZorin to opine. He has posted this, which may be related: Windows App Support no longer listed in Software Store

In this context, it means what I bet you think it means: lack of permissions to access memory for use by gnome-software.

Does running

journalctl -b -u packagekit

yield any results?

Are you using Zorin Lite?
Are there any contents in your /etc/environment file?

Once again, sage insights from @Aravisian - thanks a ton.

Running journalctl -b -u packagekit yields a bunch of results, none of which I can decipher. I’ll add an image to the end of this response, in case it means something.

I’m using Zorin Ultimate.
There’s a PATH statement in my /etc/environment file:

Here’s that log file:

And I just have to say, I love this forum. Responsiveness and helpful interactions are great, not to mention the Founder & CEO responds too. Wow, don’t get that everywhere.

Well, if you were using Lite (XFCE) I know of a bug- that does not apply to Gnome Desktop- so cross that off the list.
Your results look normal- packagekit is starting and running.
The path in /etc/environment is normal.

Are you logging in on Wayland Desktop?

Hmmm… not that I know of. I’m logging into the Zorin Desktop, using the top-left layout selection.

Can you please log out, then when you go to log in, when you click your user, click the little Gear Cog icon and be sure it is set to Zorin Destkop, not Wayland?

Sure - just confirmed, logging in to Zorin Desktop.

1 Like

can you post the output of

sudo nano /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.debian.apt.policy

Sure thing - not sure I scrolled all the way down, but:

Thanks again for looking at this…

Enough to see that everything there looks right.
Well, if nothing else, we are familiarizing ourselves with the system.
Do you have an xsession errors file in your home directory?
.xsession-errors

Warning- it MAY be long. We would only be interested in entries for the past few days.

Yes - just found it. I have one, but the date stamp is January 5th. Looking through it, I don’t see anything that jumps out, but who knows. Also, that date stamp may be when it was first created, not its latest entry.

I’ll send a copy of the file (it’s fairly small) directly to you… not sure everything that’s in there.

Per previous:
check contents of

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/

Are there any files in that directory?

No - it’s empty.

Ok. Let's make it Not Empty and see what happens.
Create two files. Name the first one

45-allow-colord.pkla

Paste into it the following and save

[Allow Colord all Users]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-profile;org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-profile;org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-device;org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-profile
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

next file:

46-allow-update-repo.pkla

[Allow Package Management all Users] Identity=unix-user:* Action=org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

What the above is for is more for remote connections but worht a shot. Reboot and test- if they do not work, remove the above two files.

Dang - that didn’t work. After rebooting, I went back into that folder to make sure they were there, and they were. So… all instructions followed, still didn’t work. And strangely, the keyring prompt returned. So I fixed that again, still didn’t work.

I do wonder if this other variable (of mine) is contributing to this issue: I use auto-login. Not because I need to, but it seemed convenient so I enabled it when I first installed Zorin. Now… I cannot seem to undo that setting, as in, I’m locked out of making changes to Users (me), and the Unlock button has no affect / does nothing. The UI shows that I clicked it, but nothing happens. I suspect it’s because the entire Settings app/utility is launching with insufficient permissions (like all other things for me now), so I’m barred from doing elevated-permission actions, like changing my own user settings. It wasn’t like this before all this started, say ~3 weeks ago.

Do you know the Terminal-based name for the Settings utility? Better yet - how do I find that myself for any installed app? I’d like to try running that utility from Terminal as sudo, turn off that Automatic login, then reboot and see if that fixes things. Hypotheis: I’m getting logged on with sub-admin / sub-sudo permissions because of auto-login, and it’s wreaking havoc behind the scenes.

Here’s the screen I’m talking about:

I’m happy to do a (clean) post once this is figured out, so others can undo it, and so Zorin can put a fix in on a future update. I can’t imagine I’m the only one going through this… I’m just determined now (with your generous help) to get it resolved. Thanks again, for all your help.