Starting Installation process from within Windows

See my posting above:

2 Likes

There was a way to try/use Ubuntu that installed inside the Windows partition named Wubi , but it is no longer officially supported. The project is still alive, but is entirely use at your own risk and won't install Zorin.

2 Likes

Thank you, I'll have a look.

1 Like

If it fails just uninstall it just like any other Windows program. Good luck I have not tried Wubi since it was officially supported.

1 Like

The danger with Wubi is that it can shorten the life of the drive and says so as much in warning the user.

There was one OS that I tried a long time ago that shipped with VM Player but can't remember which distro.

1 Like

This, I assume, would mean SSD drives, not HDD. I'm going to read about WUBI this afternoon. It's shopping day, Christmas decorations etc, and I'm the Grinch who sits in the car whilst the wife and daughter crack on with things.

Most people who were using Wubi at the height of its popularity had mechanical drives, but main thing I remember is the installations were not as responsive as a bare metal installation. I have not followed this project since Canonical shelved it when Win 8 was released and had never tried it with an ssd. use at your own risk

Exactly my experience.
I quickly went for the bare-metal installation of Ubuntu after this.
My impression was that it is a good way to experience Linux but not for the daily use.

1 Like

Me too , I went from Ubuntu 9.10 to bare metal with 10.04, but tried new releases for 6 months at time on my Win 7 laptop with Wubi. That computer still runs well with no hdd issues.

1 Like

Since I am a tinkering lady, I replaced HDDs in the all family laptops with SSDs. I think replacing HDD with SSD is the most efficient way to speed up those old laptops. The extracted HDDs are now serving a roll of backup drives with these gismo. So, nothing is wasted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.