Switched to Pop!_OS

Hello all,
I recently purchased an HP gaming laptop and installed Zorin 15 Ultimate and could not get certain hardware to work (screen res and WiFi) so I had to switch to Pop_OS 20.10 Nvidia iso and everything works. Note Pop_OS has a standard and a Nvidia iso image.

Laptop HW:
Ryzen 5 4600H
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
RealTek 8822cu WiFi

Do miss Zorins UI. :sob:

Out of curiosity
 I would check what Kernel you are running in Pop_OS and see if it is 5.5 or 5.6 or above.
If so, there’s your solution.
If you like, you could install a newer Kernel on Zorin 15 Ultimate and see if that resolves your issues.

1 Like

Hi,

Running 5.8.0.7630-generic. I can def try but what about the Nvidia drivers. Pop_OS! 20.10 has two iso, one specifically for Nvidia hw.

pop-os_20.10_amd64_intel_6.iso
pop-os_20.10_amd64_nvidia_6.iso

So I reinstalled Zorin OS, boy I do miss it compared to Pop! OS. I tried updating the kernel to 5.8.x with no luck. I Installed Mint 20.1 “Ulyssa” - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) (Edge has additional drivers for newer HW) and it’s working well. Much friendlier GUI than Pop! OS but not as awesome as Zorin OS. :disappointed_relieved:

Mint is a great OS, works well out of the box.
Pop!_OS is my daily driver on my desktop PC, it’s stable and works very well. I raccomend Dash to Dock extension for Pop!_OS.

1 Like

What luck did you not have?
Did updating the kernel not resolve the issue or were you unable to update the kernel?

I was unable to update the kernel. I had a hard time finding instructions on doing so ,the ones I tried didn’t work.
:sweat:

Hello!
When you install zorin os and boot up from the usb make sure you choose nvidia graphics mode for a more optimized experience and better hardware detection.
I hope it works for you

1 Like

So, I installed the latest version of Pop OS onto an external USB SSD drive, which is very fast mind you. Running it off the SSD drive, is exactly the same as running in LIVE USB from your typical slower speed flash drive.

I wanted to do a quick introduction check on the OS for my very first time, to get a feel for it. I was checking out the Nvidia version of course, using the XFCE version of POP OS. I noticed right off the bat, its a lot different then Zorin OS lol.

One thing I notice, is that it appears to be running faster, and with the external drive being an SSD, the speeds will be nearly as good as my internal SSD drive. So the speed of the OS is reflected quite well I think, and will be faster if I installed it.

Other then seeming to run faster then Zorin Ultimate, it does these nice window animations. Its amazing how the littlest things can make you smile lol. One could define the OS as having a bubbly personality. HEHE

I also think its truly wonderful, that the OS comes with the latest version of the Nvidia driver available, for Linux. This means, that the OS is game ready, and all I have to do is install Steam, and begin gaming right away.

POP OS is also not heavy on RAM, it appeared to normalize around 1.5GB of RAM. I’m sure it would use more if I was gaming. When I get my new computer, I’ll have 32GB of RAM at least, so RAM won’t be a big deal anyways.

The OS seemed to detect my current hardware right out of the box without issue. And unlike many Linux distro’s that seem to fall flat on their face, when in regards to the WIFI adapter, POP OS is able to utilize and detect networks right off the bat!

I was even able to shut it all off and activate airplane mode, for when not using my computers WIFI functions, bluetooth as well. The OS didn’t come with a lot of bloatware at all, a pretty lean OS.

It does come with awesome utilities like Gparted and Disks, as well as a few others. The main software it seems to come with are apps like Libri Office Suite, and Firefox web browser. Pretty much what most people need honestly.

The OS comes with some nice wallpapers to choose from, and there are lots of settings that you can adjust. I do wish it had more settings available for adjusting display scaling, other then just applying large text size.

As you guest it, when viewing off a 55" screen from 8-feet away, with my horrible eyes, can’t set that text size large enough, probably would need to install a tweak tool of sorts. lol Overall, a very clean, and well functioning OS.

But I gotta tell ya, I just can’t get used to that gnome style menu bar up at the top of the screen. I want it on the bottom of my screen, and I couldn’t find any place in the OS to change that, from the available tools provided by the OS.

I figured by going with the XFCE version of POP OS, that it would have provided me more customization tools, I am honestly a bit disappointed by the lack of customisability.

But here’s the thing, when we get right down to it, if I buy a new computer that uses a 3080 GPU, then I need an OS capable of using the 460 driver, anything less, is simply not an option. And since POP OS does, it makes it a fine option for gaming.

Another thing too, because the OS uses little resources to run, that means its less heavy on the hardware, which means more speed dedicated to gaming, or to production work.

And if Zorin OS 16 will indeed not come out till May or later this year, then that forces my options to use either POP OS, or Linux Mint until then. But when Zorin OS 16 does come out, I am going to buy the Ultimate version and install it, cause at my core, I’m a Zorin nut. HEHE :grin:

1 Like

Pop_OS! is, in my opinion, one of the most diligently assembles distros out there. It is by a larger and dedicated team, with System76.
So a very capable crowd.
For me, personally, in testing; it performed well on newer hardware, but did struggle a bit on the more Windowsy manufactures, like Dell and Lenovo. On my HP and Sony, the speed and CPU usage were comparable to Zorin, which at the time, really surprised me. The Acer was faster with POP_OS! and as you point out, expert on hardware and driver recognition.
I am now on the Acer Tower, having FINALLY folded the Notebook up for good and shoved it in a drawer. Very refreshing to no longer have that notebook jutting at me on the desk- Just the Monitor and my Old Keyboard.
I have not yet tried POP_OS! on it. But after reading your post, I think I may just spin it and see what it does.
Probably just dual it, rather than messing with the LiveCD.

1 Like

Really good to hear from you! :sunglasses:

I am glad to hear that we have had the same experiences. My old notebook is an Acer, and its 2012 I7 Quad Core hardware, and I tell you it struggles in modern day. But seeing how well it ran with POP OS in LIVE mode, told me a lot!

I have a feeling that POP OS will run awesome on your notebook computer. And while my assumption about this might be wrong, I think a light bulb turned on in my brain, it does happen on occasion you know.

Anyways, I saw a screenshot on System76’s website, showing POP OS in the XFCE flavor, and it looked considerably different with the icons and such. So I am thinking that while I know for a fact I chose the XFCE flavor and all, the LIVE mode might be only running in Gnome flavor.

Like you said, only way I will know for sure, is to install it. But I have 0 intentions on installing it on this drive in my old computer. I rather keep my old computer as a backup incase the new computer goes down.

When I get my new computer, I will format the internal drive so fast with Geparted, that Windows 10 will poop itself away from my drive, then install POP OS XFCE on it. I won’t even bother booting up the computer for its first use into Windows, that aint gonna happen lol.

If that don’t tell you how much I hate Windows and Microsoft, I don’t know what will lol. But if POP can be properly custmisable, as XFCE is supposed to be, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, at least, until I can install Zorin OS 16.

Please keep me updated on your findings buddy, I want to know what you think, and how it performs on that notebook.

Well, here is my novice take on it all:

It appears that Zorin OS is a reasonable compromise between old and new hardware. I think Zorin 15 is just a wee bit too behind the times for the newer machines, creating a higher necessity for Zorin 16 to be released as soon as possible.
POP_OS! performed - on a fast test, better in some areas than Zorin, but weaker in others. And the “latest and greatest” kernel takes the lions share of how that works out. In several other areas, POP_OS! lags behind even Zorin 15.3.
It is a bit like comparing Ubuntu 20.04 to Zorin 15 - which is not really a fair comparison in any event. Because that is like comparing Ubuntu 20.04 to Ubuntu 18.04.
On the older machine, POP_OS! performs equal to Zorin 15.3 - I suspect that on some machines, it would not as the newest kernel is Too New for some older hardware. While System76 is more Bold and Daring with using a newer kernel, Both Zorin OS and Ubuntu tend to be more reserved, only releasing a Kernel after heavily being tested on cpmmonly used systems, instead of the Newest systems. I think part of the problem comes from the assumption “New always = better.” This is certainly not always the case. Fire has been working well for humans for a few hundred thousand years.

In short; Zorin 15 currently is straddling the Edge of Development whereas POP_OS! is closer to what users are mostly currently using, but also assumes many users are regularly changing out their hardware for the newest available. In actuality, most people that give general use to their computer will only upgrade hardware when they have to- such as when something breaks or they buy a new machine. Money don’t grow on trees.

2 Likes

Yep I agree. I know that most people using Linux, are not using their computers for powerhouse operations, such as, gaming, production, cad design. And for those who don’t, any Core I3 or I5 dual or Quad core modern refreshed or otherwise, running 2GHZ CPU, Nvidia 960 GPU with 8GB of system RAM will be enough.

But for those who do need a powerhouse machine such as me, and buy a brand new computer in year 2021, we require the latest kernal available that supports the latest drivers available to be used on our Linux systems.

One of the things I’ve always hated about computer’s, is the endless battle on updating drivers. For example, if your still on Ubuntu 16.04, the latest Nvidia driver you can install is the 440 driver, and you have to manually install that one, as it won’t be found in the additional drivers.

The 440 driver is fine up to the 20-series Nvidia cards, so if you have one of those, you can still hang out with OS 12 a tiny bit longer, or continue using OS 15.3 longer if you want, no big deal!

But the 440 driver does not have the binary coding to support 30-series cards. If your very lucky, the system might boot with a 30 series GPU, and just won’t have the features fully unlocked. But more then likely, the OS won’t even boot, and you’ll be stuck with a black screen.

This business is also how developers keep you updating your OS too. They know eventually support will end on your current version of OS, and they know if you don’t update that, you can’t update anything else.

I have a family member who is old, their from an older generation, and computers drive them so nuts, if it wasn’t for me, they wouldn’t even have a computer, cause the endless battle of updates, would push them over the edge in frustration.

Ya I know, that is how it is, and nothing is gonna change, I get it. Anyways, I am glad that you liked Pop OS for the most part. I also have an ISO for the latest Linux Mint, if POP OS doesn’t work out. But as long as the kernal doesn’t poop a brick, or the latest driver, I think I’ll be fine.

And I also agree with what you said about how it doesn’t make sense to install latest kernal based OS’s on a over 10-year old computer. Its better to install Zorin Lite, or some other lite based distribution on an old computer, you won’t need the latest kernal anyways.

Well, it is not just the kernel. As an example, for Zorin Ultimate and Core, the Zorin Team backports a higher gnome-shell version than what comes in Ubuntu.
I know that this was done, for sufficient reason, on 12 and on 15. Whether it will be needed or done on 16, I do not know.

But it is one of several examples where things on Zorin are done a little bit differently. Linux Mint and Pop_OS do not do this. Mint does do some great developmental things in their Additions, but they do not necessarily Change something, instead of just adding something. Zorin does.

I have whined and complained often enough that many readers on here already know how often it is I pick apart the system, sometimes breaking things in the process. An example would be some of the extensions Zorin OS uses that I attempt to recreate in Lite. Not the extension, rather the ability. And although plenty of successes, there have been some major breakages. What this wildman behavior demonstrates, however, is a long list of subtle differences between Zorin and its base- It is Not just Re-skinned Ubuntu.
It also introduces a person to the larger team- in a way. I mentioned or posted a thread not long ago about “Debian-Goodies” on Unit193’s repository. The Zorin Team of Two, makes use of the larger team of Many Linux Contributors.
Perhaps it is talent, or maybe luck, or it is Knowledgeable study- but to mesh in elements without meshing in Too Much, is a big thing. The more moving parts you have, the more prone something is to breakage and bugs. Less can be more.
A concept that makes me wonder if Zorin may do well in the future to quietly move away from systemd. The vast majority of threads I have been seeing on Zorin Forum deal with modules, it seems.

Yes, the general consensus seems to be, that gnome is not good for beginners, who come from a Windows background. I myself have seen how annoying Gnome is. While some seem to agree that straight Ubuntu is the common place for beginners to start out with, I’m not convinced.

But when you look at other articles, many seem to agree that Linux Mint or an OS using Cinnamon desktop or XFCE is a great starting point for beginners. Also, because of the things that Zorin team does differently, is also why Zorin is high up on the recommended list for beginners.

Linux OS developers need to always remember, that 99% of Windows users are not technical power users or IT professionals, some barely know how to check their emails and get on Facebook. And as soon as you bring up the terminal, you can see it in their eyes lol.

Thats why I think that Linux distributions that do things so well, that a user 99% of the time don’t need to go into the terminal to input commands, are going to be the ones, that most beginners are going to flock to.

And if the OS isn’t far behind the times, and includes a modern kernal, and ability to use modern drivers, with their modern hardware, are also going to make the switch process easier.

I’ve been reading some new comments from Windows users who are totally fed up with Microsoft, and are making the switch as we speak. A lot of them are flocking over to Zorin because they have learned that Zorin is a good OS over here.

I do recommend the current version of Zorin if your computer is a year old or more. Now if the Zorin team can give us OS 16, you and I both know its gonna be so delicious, we will have to add it to our flavors of goodies. lol

The thing that I personally fear is making a huge mistake when picking an OS distribution. The reason I say that, is were living in new times now, where some distributions of Linux are created with Microsofts business model of mining our data, and selling it to the highest bidder.

This is why I try to do my research, and I also read all your posts talking about new privacy infringement from OS’s. Like your recent post about that Azure deployment software, that scared the heck out of me when I read that article on what happened to that guy!

We have to do our best to stay away from stuff like that. So making sure to always pick an OS that gives you the freedom of choice is best. I noticed that there was a section in POP OS regarding service telemetry, but they give you the option to turn it off.

1 Like

Catch-22

I am not always politically correct. I speak plainly and bluntly. Some might feel a more diplomatic approach is better. I say, say it straight.
A quote claims, “It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm it.” Well, this only applies if the we accept that we are fools. Whoever said that line needed to open their mouth to confirm it.
Speak and be heard.

Microsoft answered a call: Convenience
 Easy. I don’t know how often I hear people describing what they want and including, “I don’t want to have to think
”
Are we that lazy, now? We cannot walk ten feet to a trash can or even handle confronting issues
 Automatic transmissions are the “new standard” since changing gears is just Too Much Work
 but mere THOUGHT is too much?
Microsoft usage trains people that Computers should Just Work with no thought, effort, insight or control.
But does Microsoft push this on to people or is Microsoft giving people what they want?

It’s a bit of each. People are self-centred and they want what They Want without having to put much into it; and the providing company is self-driven and wants to exploit the very exploitable entitlement attitude. That is what it is and Polite diplomacy cannot rose scent the reality.
So, we want a system that operates without us having to think and they easily slip stuff in there to mine data to sell and make them money. Then charge us for the product.
We can blame them but blame ourselves just as easily.

I firmly believe that those that take the initiative to migrate from Windows to Linux are more often Willing to be Taught how to use the control. It is frustrating at first and many waver, thinking it is easier to just do it the Microsoft way- and that it is our job to step up and provide a supportive shoulder and remind them that They Got This. Keep Moving Forward.
NOT to hand a Snap or Flatpack their way.
Canonicals answer is the same as Microsofts- claim that you are actually giving the user what they want but in actuality, pushing forth an exploitation.

Load up a Fresh Linux Mint and a Fresh Zorin OS side by side and plop a couple of Windows junkies down in front of each one and test which one seems Really More Familiar and easier to use.
We all know it. Mint. Hands down.
The reason articles often say that Zorin is good for migrating Windows users is because Zorin says that it is. The journalist just goes along with the claim. It’s ‘what they say.’ Good enough.
But does anyone scientifically Test it? Measure it? Take metrics? Surveys? Anything? The reality is that Zorin OS is good for the purpose, but about as good as most other user friendly distros and some do it even better.
You wouldn’t necessarily want to hand a new migrant from Windows Gentoo or Arch. Though tossing one them onto the Arch Forum and watching the fireworks could be entertaining.

But, “easy” should not be the goal. Understandable, learnable and an Encouraging, supportive crowd should be our goal. And anyone that joins the forum complaining “but Microsoft does it Better this way” should be rightly and curtly reminded where the MS Windows Download page is.

Installed Zorin OS 16 Pro (shut up and take my money! :money_mouth_face:) on my hardware and it all works!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Laptop HW:
HP Gamer 15
Ryzen 5 4600H
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
RealTek 8822cu WiFi

PS
Looking forward to Pro Lite version too! :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Ha Ha, You were not away long. Good to hear your hardware is behaving with Z16.

1 Like

Hello. If someone have experience how to install POP.
I want just check Zorin vs POP OS.
The problem I used Rufus black screen BalenaEtcher black screen.
Shift+alt+ F1,F2,F3,F4,F5, not working any idea?
On vmware working but this is not the same.

There are two LTS version of POP! depending on your HW specs. Sounds like incompatibility issue with your video. I'd check the POP! forums for advise.
pop-os_20.04_amd64_intel_9.iso
&
pop-os_20.04_amd64_nvidia_34.iso