Task Bar disappeared

Thanks!

1 Like

Really sorry, but I must go! Thanks for your help and have a GREAT Christmas.
Phil J.

This is not solved, as the panel seems to keep disappearing...

Hi,
I hope you all had a nice Christmas.
It seems like, when I restart, the taskbar goes.
'xfce4-panel' restores it, but with the same list of warnings.
I don't know whether this is significant but, when I close the terminal after the taskbar is restored, I get the warning: 'There is a process running. Closing this window will kill it.'
Thanks again,
Phil J.

Any chance of you doing a screenshot of that list of warnings and post it here. That may give some clues.

Here are the warnings:
** (wrapper-2.0:5239): WARNING **: 12:25:32.521: No outputs have backlight property

(wrapper-2.0:5234): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 12:25:32.584: g_file_new_for_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed

(wrapper-2.0:5234): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 12:25:32.584: g_file_monitor_file: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:5234): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 12:25:32.584: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(wrapper-2.0:5234): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 12:25:32.584: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:5234): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:25:32.584: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkToggleButton to a container of type XfcePanelPlugin, but the widget is already inside a container of type XfcePanelPlugin, please remove the widget from its existing container first.

(wrapper-2.0:5234): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:25:32.720: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkToggleButton)

(wrapper-2.0:5238): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:25:32.872: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner PulseaudioButton)

(wrapper-2.0:5230): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:25:32.944: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkToggleButton)

(wrapper-2.0:5239): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:25:33.446: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner PowerManagerButton)

My laptop boots up with no taskbar every time. The command 'xfce4-panel' restores it and lists warnings (although fewer of them now). When I close the terminal I still get:
'There is a process running. Closing this window will kill it.'
How can I get my laptop to boot up with the taskbar available?
Thanks,
Phil1955

You can create an entry in the startup applications list with the command:

xfce4-panel

You can search for the "startup application" app in the menu...I don't remember the exact name though.

1 Like

If I understood your suggestion correctly - it worked!
I went to 'Settings' - 'Session and Startup' - 'Application Autostart'
and I added the command 'xfce4-panel' with the name 'Taskbar'. Then I rebooted and the taskbar appeared. Please tell me that I've done it the way you were suggesting as I am a complete 'non-techy' type.
I'm slightly worried about the fact that I don't see the warnings but, if you assure me that they aren't important, I'll stop worrying about them.
Thank you very much for your help.
Phil1955

1 Like

Yes you did it correctly...That's exactly the way I told you.

I have looked at the warnings. To be honest, I really have no idea what they are. You see, I am not very experienced yet and I have just recently started using XFCE...

The warnings can be safely ignored.
They are complaining about UI fitting and appearance, nothing critical.

1 Like

Thank you again.
I've marked your post as the solution.
Phil1955

1 Like

Then this is clearly misleading:

Thank you for your help. It's much appreciated.
phil1955

What the program calls critical and what is critical are not always the same thing...
These likely point to an issue in the home configuration directory.
I would suggest (replace $USER with the Actual User Name):

chown -R $USER /home/$USER/.config/*

Then rename ~/.config to ~/.config-bkp and log out and in. This might even solve the task bar issue from the O.P....

Sorry to be a non-tecchy pain but, I ran 'chown -R $USER /home/$USER/.config/*' as it is. Firstly, was that correct and, secondly what command will rename ~/.config?
Thanks

You can replace $USER, which is a generic placeholder - with your actual Username. On you machine, when you login, you enter your Username and password. That username should replace "$USER" in the command. We use the generic $USER since we do not know everyones usernames on their own computers...

You can rename from GUI with right click or you can do so in terminal with

mv ~/.config ~/.config-bkp

Thanks again for your help.
However, I ran the command: 'chown -R $USER /home/$USER/.config/*'
I replaced '$USER' with my actual username.
I then ran the command: 'mv ~/.config ~/.config-bkp'
Then I rebooted and was back to square one with no taskbar. I have repeated the previous addition of the command, 'xfce4-panel', to the 'Application Autostart' list.
Should I just live with this?

That is odd...
If this was me, I would reinstall Zorin OS after backing up all personal files. Reinstallation usually only takes about 30 minutes or so. How long it takes to configure everything to exactly how you want it may take longer...:stuck_out_tongue: I do it so much that I have developed it into an art form...

Does it make any difference this being the Zorin Pro 'Lite' version?