Telegram new messages counter badge malformed - Z16 Beta

Man, of course.

Man, I just reached my limit of your Repeat Attitude.

Google your own problem.

Man, you are not helping and you don't understand what I wrote earlier, so go help in other threads.

There is a large difference between ensuring that you actually perform the troubleshooting steps and 'understanding what you claimed'.
A big Red Flag at the outset was here:

There is no such thing. Notifications are governed By The Theme which you repeatedly stated is Theme independent but at no time whatsoever state what other themes you tried.
It is not unusual for a user to decide they have eliminated some possible cause and then attempt to steer troubleshooting away from that. It then falls on us to try to gently steer it back to where it is supposed to be- which you have resisted throughout.

I can certainly understand you feeling frustrated that something is not working correctly.
But you need to understand two basic things:

1. ) How items are displayed in the desktop environment.
  2. ) How to treat those that step in voluntarily to help you for free with Decency and Courtesy. No one on here is obligated at any time to take guff, snarkiness or insult. We are not Paid MS employees by a multi-billion dollar corporation. We are just ordinary members that you are not entitled to abuse just because you are frustrated.

Your resistance to following troubleshooting combined with not outlining the details of steps you have tried and being repeatedly rude to those trying to Help You means:

With Pleasure.

For me big red flag was that you don't even have TG installed (facepalm).
I will patiently and with decency and courtesy wait for help from someone else.

So...
Anyone using Zorin 16 + Telegram, can you please check the badge on your side (and share a screenshot), so we at least find out if its a global or a local problem?

Who on the forum is going to have every app installed that everyone else does? That is not a red flag. It would be very unreasonable to think that other members have your system set up and preferences.
That being said, I just followed the steps you outlined to install Telegram - which I did. It extracts as two binary files- the Telegram app and the Updater. This method gives only a Standalone App, not an installed app.
I opened the Binary file using bless to examine it. Telegram does not use the system theme, at all.
It provides its own built in theme.
The same goes for the icons (Labelled as ticons, text-based images included in the binary):

Partly due to your use of a Standalone binary app rather than an installed app:

By installing the Desktop App instead of using the standalone Binary, the above Solutions Should Work. In addition to this, you would be able to change the theme or icons used, as well as use an additional Gnome Shell Extension:

Screenshot showing either the badge on your end is OK or not. Pretty please.

In spite of your repeated derogatory tone, you have been helped. I spelled it all out for you above. You shifting the goal posts changes nothing - it also will remain the final time I provide you with any assistance on any topic on this forum.

I help others on here in order to help myself to learn and expand my knowledge. I also do it because it is a good feeling to help others. But when it stops being a good feeling because I am taking abuse; I have the choice to Stop Helping.
Follow the above post to solve your issue and keep your demands to yourself.
I already went above and beyond, downloading some app I do not use and do not want to my system just to help you.

Then your free to focus on other threads.
I already wrote you that.
And you still didn't get it.
And I know you won't help here.
Aravisian, please ignore this thread and keep going.

So...
Anyone using Zorin 16 + Telegram, can you please check the badge on your side (and share a screenshot), so we at least find out if its a global or a local problem?

P.S. Since Aravisian closed this thread without proper solution and marked his own post as one, anyone who actually can help please DM me.

Solution marked as provided and explained.
Thread locked to prevent further Bickering and fighting and allowing the O.P. time to review the Possible Solution post instead of dismissing it outright.
Will unlock after a reasonable Cool Down period for all involved.
EDIT: Reopened:
https://forum.zorin.com/faq#be-civil

Not everyone has all-compassing knowledge to perfectly help, every time. We try. When a member offers assistance, you may find, "Thanks for trying to help" goes much further than Snide Remarks.
You're not alone in mishandling this thread. I am guilty of getting fed up, too. Allowing a Cool Down helps. I remain, however, utterly unwilling to offer help to someone so unappreciative.

The provided post supplies:

1. ) Standalone app is providing the theme. Try installing the Full desktop App and testing that.
  2. ) An explanation as to how the app works and possible causes for a malformed entry.
  3. ) Options for testing. The onus is on YOU to test the proposals on your own app, not on others to test for you and then provide Screenshots for your review.

I know that, so this is exactly why I wrote that I will wait for someone who can actually help, cause all your proposals didn't. No need for you to hurry with a solution mark just for sake of sweeping an exotic problem under the rug. As an admin you should definitely avoid such practices.

I'm working as an IT Pro in a bank and trust me - I know how to properly troubleshoot stuff.

First, I've asked TG devs for help and they said it must be a theme issue. Hey, they are the devs, so I guess they are right, right? But after checking different layouts, themes, icon packs etc. the issue is still there so I decided to go to this forum and check whether anyone else is experiencing the same problem to narrow it down (basic troubleshooting stuff - narrowing the scope of the problem).
If anyone else on Zorin 16 Beta has the same badge, it appears to be a global problem then. But if others have proper badges - it might be my local problem.

So when I read to check this and that and I already checked it beforehand - I reply that I did and nobody should get upset by it.

Few minutes ago I also tested other TG install sources (package, flatpak) and it also does not work.

So, Aravisian, let me ask you 3rd time, please let me troubleshoot this issue in this thread my way, by someone else providing a screenshot of the TG badge.

And please remove your inproper solution, cause currently it causes only more confusion.

I understand your point of view. However, this is not a case of "sweeping under the rug."
As you, yourself, point out- troubleshooting is done in steps. You were vague, not truly acknowledging the steps and when I sought to confirm the steps- you got short. As an "IT Pro", you should know better. Saying, "I tried that" to a list of multiple proposed tests is vague and unhelpful to a person trying to help you.

I am not an Admin. Only the Zorin Group are Admins. However; locking the thread to cool things down is a proper move. Drawing your attention to solutions you hand-wave away is also not improper.

It certainly looked that way to me, as well. Which is why I kept attempting to get you to Clearly Examine that issue without your short passive aggressive allusions to failure.

Yes, you were Right that it appears to be independent of the themes included on the system. It shouldn't have spawned an argument settling that when you could have

1. ) Clearly stated what themes you tried and which steps you took.
  2. ) If you find something to not be the right direction or not helpful, to politely clarify it. Short terse anger or accusatory tones will not inspire anyone to want to help you if they witness abusive, if not least, rude and unappreciative responses from you.

The next suggestion that I would make would be to disable all Gnome-Extensions. Once disabled, log out, then log back in. While this is tedious; open the tweaks again and ensure that all gnome-extensions are still disabled after logging in. Then, test Telegram notifications.
This is to test if a Gnome-Extension is interfering with the Telegram app.

Next suggestion: Copy your ~/.config directory as ~/.config-bkp
Reboot - test Telegram - This is to test if any Configuration Files have corrupted the app.

Agreed. I have removed that solution marking as you imply that you have examined the entirety of it. You state you tested other installation methods.

I understand the frustration you have. A app is not working right. The App dev led you elsewhere and this thread has not been a walk in the park. However... What you are asking for is not reasonable.
You cannot ask others to Test your app for you and post screenshots of it. This may appear reasonable on the surface, but it is not. This is because:

1. ) You are aiming for the odds that another user is in the same position as you in a timely manner. This is a long shot and very inefficient. It makes far more sense to directly troubleshoot and test on your known affected machine.
  2. ) You are asking for help. In that position, this thread is not a debate column, but a HelpDesk. You cannot demand that others do it your way by your method. Why would any person want to offer help with such constraints?

This attitude.
You say you are an IT Pro. Then you know that troubleshooting is not done by a person popping in and handing you a Total Solution in one go. It is trying different things and testing all the possibilities - it is most certainly not slapping the person who is voluntarily working through the steps with you.
It is most certainly not treating the HelpDesk like an incompetent simply because the first two points examined did not immediately resolve all issues (much less against vague and terse responses.)
This is not Burger King. You don't get to have it your way and when someone takes time out of their day while also working on cars in the heat to try to help you - Do Not Slap Them In The Face with such accusatory tones.

Are you using fractional scaling?

Nope:

You may go ahead and try the sugestions above- to disable gnome-extensions or to replace the ~/.config - just to be thorough. That said,

This also looks promising. The simplest test on this would be if you have another standard Monitor available to test on... Such as a 1080.

Glad to see you are on track to a solution.

My opinions opposed you asking others on this forum to Test your App for you and post Screenshots. My opinion did not, at any time, oppose you asking others on a TELEGRAM FORUM if they see the issue.

This is exactly what I wanted. A simple screenshot of the badge to check if they see the same issue and not to split the atom.

But you came and made this thread overcomplicated.

For the final time; That is enough of your Abuse. Closing thread.

While it is gratifying that you found help on a Telegram users Group, on this forum, there are guidelines and Steps for troubleshooting against Known Functions.
You will NOT abuse nor belittle people whether you find them "helpful" or not.
This is now made Clear To You and I am sure you understand that it is Not Up For Debate or for you to edit in further character attacks.
This is not about you nor about me.
What would this forum be like as a HelpDesk if members could routinely belittle others and demean others in the manner you have?
There is no justification, at any time, for any member to ever feel as absolutely Fed Up as this thread devolved into. Whether you found the suggestions helpful or not- at No Time should you belittle those offering help. Period.

Not every suggestion or first attempt at examining troubleshooting will be successful. There is no point in that where you are "right" or "validated" or "vindicated" in belittling others, making demands or rejecting the HelpDesk.
While I acknowledged your frustration that the app notifications were not working properly, this does not mean you are then permitted to take that frustration out on members trying to help you resolve it.
I posted a copy of the #BeCivil portion of the guidelines of the forum to you early in the thread.

2 Likes