The Desktop Environment

Which desktop environment does the Zorin OS 15.3 use is it Xfce or KDE I am not able to tell and also can I change different desktop environment and not by buying the Zorin OS Ultimate?

Hi, Rajlohith.
Core uses Gnome, Lite uses XFCE. Ultimate also has Gnome.
You can switch using: Core to Lite and installing XFCE

1 Like

What about the Education version I am running that version on my PC?

Also Gnome and XFCE (Lite) options.

Core 15.3 seems to come with three separate desktop environments pre-installed as snaps, though it's hard to know which ones are active or working in sync. (And you can't find out in the desktop help guide.)

1. GNOME (170 MB)
  2. GTK common themes (67.9 MB)
  3. KDE frameworks 5 core18_32 (273.4 MB)
    Are these all needed? I saw something about the framework being used with/for KDE Plasma (which I gather is another desktop GUI) and also "for Qt-based softeware stacks". Qt is apparently used in apps like Google Earth, qbittorrent, and VLC media player. All this makes me wonder if Zorin is also using the KDE Plasma environment in some way. Zorin should make all this information more readily available. Anyone know where it might be?

Gtk is the toolit for Gnome and QT is the toolkit for KDE.
Many apps are built with the gtk toolkit. Many other apps are built with the QT toolkit.
For this reason, pretty much every distro includes the toolkits for both in order to meet the demands of the apps users will install.
Zorin OS is not using the Plasma Desktop Environment, but does include the QT toolkit.

And then there's XFCE! Is there no distinction between the DEs and toolkits for developers and those required to support user-installed apps? I'd also like to locate a primer where one can learn how all this stuff works together. How Zorin OS was built from the ground up, so to speak. Presumably Artyom and Kyrill weren't born with such knowledge.

I do not think that there is any One Resource that you can reference for it. No more than you can find One Resource on any encompassing knowledge set.
Artyom and Kyrill, according to an interview I read, bought many books just to get started. I bet that they probably have a veritable library, by now..
I have bought five, myself, and I am just a mild enthusiast.
There is a distinction between the toolkits and you would want to study into the framework of each. XFCE was originally styled off of XForms, though that is no longer the case. QT was built as an alternative to the GTK toolkit, in order to provide more FOSS without reliance on One Kit. Which I agree with strongly.
You can get books on each, as well as on .css, javascript, c++ and various other languages that tie it all together and allow multiple frameworks to have cross-compatibility.
Then there is Linux Programming, for examining the Xwindow system, kernel and various other parts of a distribution.

While there is a Lot To Know; This is not necessarily as complex and daunting as it sounds. Clearly, the Zorins are intelligent people. But you need not be a Rocket Scientist in order to study and learn. I also have an interest in Arduino.

And so far, I have not pushed myself back from the desk and said, "Eh, I couldn't read another bite. My brain is so full..."

1 Like

Yes, there is a lot to learn when it comes to computers, operating systems, learning code. This is why most leave it to the smart people to make OS's.

My knowledge is pretty much on the tech level of things. I can build computer's, and install software. But trying to learn programming code, makes my brain swell.

And since my brain is full of gas, swelling is not a good combination. Overall, your better off with just about any Linux distribution. Stay away from Windows.