The future of Windows

I would more think that a lot of People simply don't care about it. But there You should seperate the Kinds of Users for that. I mean, a normal User, who simply use the Machine and isn't in this technical World see only a Function. It is like the Driver of a Car. To drive he/she must not know how exactly the Care works.

And then You have the Users who are a bit in Technology and seet more about Stuff like that. So, the Problem ... Issue is, that the whole Recall Thing isn't in a more common Region of News. Then more People would think about it I guess.

1 Like

DITTO!! Hands OFF MicroDummies.

Mostly people thinking old times when windows was for people but now it is diffrent. Mostly people using windows pc for multimedia paying some spotify,netflix etc. Playing some games, using internet.
People don't have a time to thinking what is the problem with a operating system when they have a wife with kids and "dirty jobb" to paying bills and huge tax.

1 Like

Microsoft LOVES Linux, they will integrate it, work together with the big players (maybe some actors like Canonical with ubuntu), give a lot back to the FOSS-world.

And then, one day in the near future, Zorin is based on (R)ubuntu, proudly present you the best out of two worlds, new volunteer-powered alliance with community help and free download, support for the worlds leading software, cloudspace costs less than nothing + cashback for your feedback, snapstore and the original MSO (sorry, edge-browser-based, but hey, it's original!)...

Than I woke up this morning - thanks, it was only a dream.
I was dreaming, or?
OR?

They have been integrating linux inside windows for a while with WSL, and I have seen many people say that it proves that microsoft finally loves linux

However, I'd say it's the other way around

Windows wins when it comes to desktop marketshare, but when it comes to developer and server marketshare, linux is preferred by most. The reason they decided to integrate linux inside windows isn't because they love linux, but to tell developers that there is no need to leave windows to have the benefits of linux, when it comes to programming

Integrating linux into windows doesn't show any love for linux, but rather an indirect way to get rid of it at long-term. If the decision of integrating linux inside windows was accompanied with the decision to help develop wine or any other way to make windows software run on linux officially, then yes, I would say they "love linux" and it would be an agreement to close the gap between operating systems, which would be ideal, as there would stop being software limitations and people could actually choose the OS they want without saying "But the program I need does not run there".

But the way it is right now, integrating linux inside windows just shows two things:

1. They hate linux and want to make a big part of its user base go back to windows
  2. They hate windows to the point they do not like using it, but they still have a product to sell, so they patch it up in whatever way works instead of trying to make it better than the competence (multimillionaire company making a worse product than something that is made by volunteers... funny to say the least)

And yes, the "microsoft hates windows" is a real thing:

2 Likes

Absolutely, agree. Using resources available is a good thing. There's no point in having 32GB of RAM available if you ever only use ⅒ of that amount. Of course, there's no point in being wasteful about it either, which Windows undoubtedly does by powering features that don't serve the user's interests.

2 Likes

What help you RAM if everything working like a turtle.

1 Like

Being hung up on numbers is sometimes self-contradictory. Some may be happy with Distrowatch's rankings, but if popularity determines the value of OS, then Windows is the best OS. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I am keen to get away from windows even if they do give a way round the new security requirements. A proper solution, and not just a workaround.
What they have tried to do has left a bad taste in my mouth that will not go away.

While searching around YouTube etc I have become aware of how much snooping Microsoft does too.

For my requirements, Zorin should fit the bill just fine.
However, I am still having problems with my install with slow start, no resume, and programmes not functioning fully.
Support is pretty slow, perhaps this forum will improve things ?
The above frustrations and perhaps more, could force people to dump Linux/Zorin, and accept a half baked work around by Microsoft.

But for my own part, as stated above, I am keen to get away from Microsoft.

I'm not sure you can turn it off. I applied anti spy settings to Windows 10 on eldest machine and after applied, checked back and they were all back again!

Did You tried ShutUp10++ ? I use that, too and You get a lot of Adjustments. But yes, after an Update You should control the Settings because Windows set that sometimes back.

1 Like

It seems that it hurts now a bit because someone hacked it and wrote a Program to do it. It was not the Final Recall version, yes. But that is the Way what will come.

As is usually the case, bad actors get away with their wrong doings because people simply don't pay attention nor care to these things. Until there are actual tangible consequences that affects them. The "nothing to hide" fallacy has truly caused a lot of damage.

Interesting read:

For those interested in seeing how much data it collects you can run this script:

1 Like

I'm locked into Windows due to work and play. Like many other cross platform users I run Linux too . Change can be difficult and equivalent open source software alternatives are not easy to find in some cases. I stared dual booting in 2010 to avoid jumping through hoops to get things done easily. Running Windows on virtual machines is much more common than dual booting nowadays. I have different drives for each OS and my email client, browser, and office programs are cross platform.

I was fortunate to be able to use GNU/Linux for my work during lockdown and continued to work from home until I retired as my eldest was in high risk category. I ran Windows 7 Pro as a VM, then later used my work purchase discounted Windows 8.1 Pro to update it. Initially I only needed Windows for Work email, I had everything else I needed running on GNU/Linux. I am aware that I was in a unique position as my work involved modifying texts into large print and Braille for students from pre-school to Higher Education. When I changed from FerenOS to Devuan 3.0 I discovered how I could get Evolution to access Outlook365, which was fine for my email but not for the shared mailbox where work requests were posted. I then also needed to use Windows for one other item, as unlike FerenOS, Devuan would not run Brailleblaster, I had to use the Windows version. This in turn meant me having to source a 32-bit version of Okular for Windows, which I finally did which had Spanish installer but ran the program in English, as Maths for Braille usually got sent in pdf format which needed Okular to extract to Brailleblaster. On a side note, a local businessman here in Sheffield had had enough of continuous Window OS updates from one version to another prevented him from using CNC lathes that relied on an app written for XP. His solution? He installed Fedora Workstation and ran XP as a VM and had no issues with this setup for his CNC Lathes.

1 Like

I must sayed Zorin is doubled expensive from Windows.

You mean "than" instead of "from"? Not to nickpick :wink:
A Windows License in Denmark cost 995 DDK. Zorin cost the half of it.

I know the real price license what Microsoft want is 20$ the overprice comes from seller. Check the price from partner Microsoft how much they cost.

I also forgot to mention that in my last month of employment I finally discovered how to use Remmina to access the secure website to access the school's shared T:\ drive where all our work is stored. To do this I had to use Edge in Windows 8.1 Pro VM to download a file (cpub.exe). This had to be downloaded in order to log in to the domain. Under Windows I would need to enter my credentials 3 times. I copied the cpub.exe file to a thumb drive mounted in the VM. I then shut down the VM and the thumb drive was visible in the host, Devuan 3.0 running Plasma KDE. I copied the file to my /home folder, then launched Remmina, pointed it to the .exe file and voila, credential Window appeared where I had to enter username, password, and Domain name. Just one log in. Not only could I access T:\ drive but also my work desktop (Z:\ drive). I sent screenshots of it to the IT guys but never got a response!

Having Zorin and Windows on different drives is how I operate just now.
But that will have to end when security updates to W10 end.
I will disable any internet connections on the W10 drive when that happens.

I have a VMware machine installed on Zorin but have yet to make use of it.
Have been playing with the idea of making a disc image of my W10 "C" drive, and mounting that.
It's just been laziness that has stopped me going ahead and trying it.

My biggest disappointments so far have been trouble with getting Libre to work properly (Works great on my W10 drive) along with my slow start and lack of resume capability.

I have approached support about this but no solution yet.
My last reminder to them was on 08/06
(I have the Zorin Pro version)

Considering how long Linux/Zorin have been around, I am am curious as to why Libre etc still fail to work properly ??