Welcome to the forum. I hope that you'll become a part of this community.
The usual cause of the error you are getting is a bad installation USB/CD, but that doesn't seem to be the situation in your case, because you've had the issue with Linux Mint, so we will no doubt have to dig deeper.
However, on the off chance that something is not right with your installation media, let me ask the basics:
(1) Are you attempting to install from a CD or a USB?
(2) If a USB, did you prepare the USB using balenaEtcher**, or did you use a different burner?
(3) If a CD, what burn-speed setting did you use (lowest possible speed is usually the most reliable)?
(4) Did you (or the installer) run a checksum to verify the installation iso?
(5) At what point during the process do you see the "The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again." error message?
I am asking these questions because the "unrecoverable error" message most often results from bad installation media, but @zabadabadoo's questions will more likely result in a solution given your particular circumstances. Your hardware specs are particularly important.
** balenaEtcher is often the source of problems. Since you have Windows on your computer, you might try creating the installation media with rufus if you have been using balenaEtcher, and see if that solves the problem.