The size of taskbar icons

Hi my icons on the taskbar are so small how to increase the size? i made the taskbar bigger but did not change the icons size.
thanks

1 Like

Since there isn't a clear way to change it, I think tinkering with the .js file in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extension/zorin-taskbar@zorinos.com is the way to go. @Aravisian Tell me if this is a bad way to do it.

I will try changing things around to see what they do, will report back.

UPDATE
BAD IDEA, my eyes hurts!!! There are too many lines to check. I think you can maybe suggest this idea for Zorin Team. @Aravisian maybe you know what to edit.

1 Like

I think it would be easily done in XFCE desktop.
@zakiro
Can tell us which version/edition of Zorin is in use?

1 Like

@FrenchPress 90% sure he's using Core because in XFCE is just in the settings.

Still it would not hurt asking.
In other thread, several of us tried to solve display issue, and it turned out that OP was using VM, not a bare-metal installation :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Shamefully, I have done very little exploration of the Gnome Desktop on Zorin OS 16. Enough to find it an impressive improvement and enough to remember why I do not use Gnome.

I wondered the same question, then I solved it by logging out, then switching to XFCE then logging in.

1 Like

@tomscharbach That also changes the Panel size, what if OP wants to change the icon size itself like in KDE?

But that is sad and doesn't solve the problem entirely. If someone wants to just change only the icon size ONLY, they can't!

Me too, I use Gnome because Core is Gnome. I don't like the behaviour of Gnome, too many things can't be edited (In a GUI). KDE has settings for everthing!

Tried it, HATE IT. It has 0 software in its repositories. I need to use a billion Appimage, Flatpaks and Snaps. I like to manage my things with one thing, like the way how Arch Linux does things.

But this is just my personal preference, use whatever you want.

The only reason people should be using Arch, is if their gluten for punishment. lol Arch is not user friendly to beginners, or even intermediate users. Arch is for Linux experts, who want to get the most out of Linux, but also requires a lot of work in setting up, and working out issues.

It is not that hard, if a package breaks, downgrade it. The installation is just copy and paste anyway.

No work required, just copy and paste to install and just use it like a normal person.

If you're not afraid of using the terminal, ARCH IS Going to BE A BLAST. I use ZorinOs 16 Core because I'm very lazy to be a hobbyist now. No time to waste, getting old.

On XFCE panel, you can set the icon size independently of the panel size as long as the icon size is less than or equal to the panel height. This is also true on Cinnamon.

ZorinOs 16 Core is using Gnome by default tho

I love your desktop... great wallpaper too!

To adjust the icon size in the task bar on Zorin Core reduce the icon padding rather than trying to fix the icon size. Go to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extension/zorin-taskbar@zorinos.com/ and modify the taskbar.js file. Change line 55, var MIN_ICON_SIZE = 8; line 56, var APPICON_MARGIN = 2; and line 57, var APPICON_PADDING = 4; Save and reboot. Zorin will still automaticaly adjust the icon size according to the panel height but with less space. You should get decent icon sizes.

1 Like

We can make the Taskbar Thumbnails Bigger by:

Extensions > Zorin Taskbar > Behavior > Show window previews on hover (Settings) > Window previews preferred size (px)

The dconf command is:

gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.zorin-taskbar window-preview-size 360
1 Like

Unfortunately, this only changes the icon sized of the apps on the left side. Some apps which run in the background have icons on the right side, next to the clock and settings part (wifi, sound, battery,...). They won't be affected by your solution.

Does anybody know where to find the setting to reduce the padding of the icons on the right side? Or even where to enlarge them?

It would have to be modified in the config file or script.

I had done this in 15 to modify the size of system tray icons, since they didn't match what was used in the app section.

It's a rabbit hole, so be careful. Web search system tray icon config Ubuntu 22.

Unfortunately i don't remember off hand what the file name or location were.

1 Like

If the excessive padding gives you problems, you could install the Gnome Extension Status Area Horizontal Spacing.