Too much icon white space in the taskbar

Hi everybody,

So, I am using Zorin OS 16.3 Core and noticed that the icons on the taskbar love their white space, and a handful of them almost fill the entire bar.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to adjust their margins.

As per the thread already discussed here, I edited /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/zorin-taskbar@zorinos.com/taskbar.js, and that worked beautifully—for the app icons on the left.

The icons on the right are left entirely unimpressed, though, and continue to claim their space:

Does anybody have an idea what I can do to tame those sassy icons? :thinking:

2 Likes

This is because the icons on the right are a different extension: appindicators.
So you might wanna go to this folder:
/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/zorin-appindicator@zorinos.com
I have never edited anything there, but probably it's the file appindicator.js.

4 Likes

Hey @piet-0, thanks for getting back to me.

Your hint makes complete sense, unfortunately, I still cannot find anything that even remotely relates to padding / margin / etc. amongst those files. :face_holding_back_tears:

These appindicators are placed inside the right container on taskbar settings. There's no way to edit their size on a GUI though, at least not by default, and not even on taskbar settings. Now, I'm not good at code but this seems a matter of button size, not padding or margins.

1 Like

Check the extensions installed for tray icons reloaded or something similar. I believe it may be a different extension.

You can test it is the correct extension by adding margin variables. Though they aren't in the js doesn't mean it's not supported.

You could also check the same directory or around that directory for a css that may have those values. The js will include the class name if its using css.

1 Like

After a further deep dive into the different files left me back where I started, I finally found two relevant Gnome Extensions:

Both allow you to tighten things up around app indicator and system icons.

Just be aware that both fiddle with settings that Zorin already takes care of, so adjust with care. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.