The system has minor freezes

the system works very well at first but after a few hours of use it suddenly starts to freeze for a second or less even though there are very few apps open

it is not so serious although avaces comes to happen very often :laughing:

I don't know why this will happen to me I have a lot of RAM and a good CPU

1 Like

Can you please give more information on what you are doing to cause it, system information, etc?

1 Like

HOLD CTRL ALT T to enter terminal.

sudo apt install screenfetch

Enter your password... When it asks hit Y and then press ENTER

Once its done installing... Type screenfetch

Please post the results here.

1 Like

jesus@jesus-HP-ProBook-440-G3
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.11.0-36-generic
Uptime: 1m
Packages: 1984
Shell: bash
Resolution: 1366x768
DE: GNOME 3.38.6
WM: Mutter
WM Theme: ZorinGreen-Light
GTK Theme: ZorinGreen-Light [GTK2/3]
Icon Theme: ZorinGreen-Light
Font: Inter 10
Disk: 26G / 226G (12%)
CPU: Intel Core i5-6200U @ 4x 2.8GHz [50.0°C]
GPU: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (SKL GT2)
RAM: 1904MiB / 11402MiB

1 Like

Thank you for posting the information. What I am trying to do, is see if anything leaps out at me that doesn't seem normal. I do see that your running the 5.11.36 kernel, but supposedly, it has fixes in it to fix the debocle of the 5.11.34 kernel.

I see you got a 226GB disk drive, so more then enough space available. You have a quad core 2.8GHZ CPU, and you got a whopping 12GB of RAM. You know what that all means? You meet the system requirements, so thats fine too.

Another reason why I wanted this info posted, is I wanted to know if you had a discreet GPU or not. As it turns out you don't, you have Intel's integraded graphics. Which means, you shouldn't be having any graphics issues.

At this point I am still at a loss for the moment. However, I do have a new question. Are you using this notebook computer just with the built in keyboard and touchpad? Or, are you using an external keyboard and or mouse?

In terminal, please type lsusb and post the results here. I wanna see what USB devices are connected. If you want to know where I am going with this, sometimes certain hardware acts funny on Linux when run at high pole rates.

Sometimes high pole rates will put sudden usage spikes from the CPU, and will be noticeable to the user.

1 Like

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:b006 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Bluetooth Radio
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05c8:0383 Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd (Foxlink) HP HD Camera
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 248a:8367 Maxxter Wireless Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I have a Gnome extension to change the speed of the GPU and I have it at maximum all the time

may that be what causes the spikes?

2 Likes

This could definitely do it.

Where gnome extensions are concerned, the first step is always caution.

1 Like

The integrated Intel CPU is not supposed to be run like a discreet GPU. Return the GPU back to normal, then I want you to remove the extension please.

1 Like

OK I am going to delete it and I was wrong it was not the GPU it was to change the CPU frequency :laughing:

1 Like

Oh my goodness gracious, you know what you did right? You were spiking your CPU. Even I was wondering why your CPU temps were up there for idle. I was like, hmmm, that ahhh 50c, that don't seem right!

Yeah, lets not be spiking our CPU anymore, it doesn't like it. Let the lovely bios handle your CPU from now on. HEHE

1 Like

Thanks, I'll see if it solves the problem.

1 Like

Yes, the crashes may be due to Overheating.

2 Likes

Thank you if it was the extension that caused the spikes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.