Things I miss out-of-the-box in Zorin OS installation:

Hello Everybody,

I have asked some time ago whether you have some thread where we can put our suggestions for next releases. As I got no answer, I am putting it here, hope this is a correct threat for that.

After installing and tinkering little bit with Zorin OS, these are the things I sorely miss in out-of-the-box installation.

It would be good to add them in subsequent Zorin releases.

Please note, that I will not list things which are unnecessary or too specific for certain users (like programs for video or sound editing, etc.), rather things which are industry standard and are missing from the get go.

Do take this as a constructive criticism, because otherwise this is very pleasant Linux distro to use, one that I recommend widely.

I am using Zorin Core 16.1

1.) Lid closing behavior
There is no UI setting for this, you have to do it through CLI. Definitely should be added.

Current solution:

• sudo gedit /etc/systemd/logind.conf - it opens file for editing

• In that file, find the line: "#HandleLidSwitch=suspend" and modify it ot one of the options below:

• HandleLidSwitch=poweroff, shutdown / power off when lid is closed

• HandleLidSwitch=hibernate, hibernate when lid is closed (need to test if hibernate works)

• HandleLidSwitch=ignore, do nothing

• HandleLidSwitch=suspend, suspend laptop when lid is closed

• Save the file (Ctrl+S) and restart the service through:
    systemctl restart systemd-logind.service

2.) Always on Top
Always on Top is by default present, but if you wanna use keyboard shortcut, you have to tinker with it.

Again, this should be premapped already OR available amongst the keyboard shortcuts for users to map.

As it stands, it is not, and you have to do the following:

• sudo apt-get install wmctrl

• Settings/Keyboard Shortcuts/Add Custom Shortcut (press the plus at the end):
    Name: Always on Top
    Command: mctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,above
    Shortcut: Ctrl + Space

3.) Alt+Shift keyobard shortcut to switch keyboard layout

Again, possibility to map key combinations to switch keyboard are present, but for some reason, it is impossible to map Alt+Shift together, not without tinkering.

Since this is widely used shortcut, just like CTRL+S, I see no reason to not include it for users as an option to choose from.

Currently, this is what I had to do:

• sudo apt install gnome-tweak-tool
  • Launch "Tweaks" and go to Keyboard & Mouse/Additional Layout
  • Go to Options/Switching to another layout, here check "Alt+Shift"

13.) Date Format
The most baffling omission for me. I scoured the UI menu from tip to toe and found no way to format dates, apart from very rudimentary option or two.

There definitely should be some options for users to choose from.

I overcame this shortage like this:

• Install Clock Override from here:
    Date Menu Formatter - GNOME Shell Extensions
  • Start/Extensions - under "Manually installed" will be Clock Override as well
  • execute it and set the format to your liking, In my case:
    hh:mm \n dd/MM/YY

Hope those responsible will read this.
Thank you.

4 Likes

I would like to correct you here, The GUI is Present in Power Manager < System < When Laptop Lid is Closed, Set it to desired Option.

Custom Shortcuts can be Created in Settings < Keyboard <Application Shortcuts.
and for Window Tiling in Window Manager < Keyboard.

Personally, I do not need to change keyboard layout frequently, But you can use the Indicator plugin in the Panel.

Date and Time Formats can be Accessed by right clicking on the clock on the panel, then select preferences.

1 Like

I seem to remember to use that keyboard shortcut when using Windows, but on Linux I use Super + space. At least on Pop!_OS which I'm currently using, and it works.

Yup, you are correct, it is taken from Windows.

So, did it work with Super + space?

A comment about the date being displayed. On my 16.1 Pro the only thing showing is the time. I see no way to display the date ( ala Windows ). Nor do I see a way to set the date as DD/MMM/YYYY ( 06/JUL/1956 ).

If I am missing something, then please let me know. If not, then please Zorin, improve the date display to resemble Windows. ( I know...blasphemy ) :laughing:

Hi, so I tried your answers on my Zorin Core 16.1 and:

1.) Lid closing behavior
I don't see this option anywhere, have a look:

2.) Always on Top
You are correct, Keyboard shortcuts can be created in Settings -> Keyboard Shortcuts, but there was no entry for Always on top and you needed that external program I described to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to this functionality, otherwise it is only present on the right click on window panels or opened files.

3.) Alt+Shift keyboard shortcut to switch keyboard layout
That is true, but that is not sufficient/effective for anybody who regularly switches between at least 2 languages, therefore you need to be able to use a shortcut.

And since I was used to this one from Windows (as guessed correctly from one of the previous answers in this thread), I wanted to use it here as well, but Zorin, for some reason, doesn't allow you to do combination Alt+Shift and you need that external program to do it.

4.) Date Format
No, you cannot, all you can see is this:

But you cannot set the format without help of external program to the way I have in the first post of this thread, that is:
hh:mm \n dd/MM/YY

I was reffering the power manager application, which you can search from the start menu in most versions.

I don't remember that correctly, but I do think Super + space was an allowed combination, but I wanted to use Alt+Shift which is not present by default as an option to choose from, see my previous post.

Ah, all right I don't have it out of the box installed, that means it did not come with Zorin preinstalled, all I have is Power Statistics and that is just read only info.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.