Trapped inside logical partition

Exactly what I said to my daughter-in-law.
Especially when HDD has a large capacity.

1 Like

can you share with us Gparted ss for your disk ?

uf, 15 y and messing with Linux :slight_smile: In one hand , nice, congrats ( that is a good way) but in second , if you need those laptop( PC) and data, wrong start to mess xD

ss whats that

screenshoot

You need a good parental guide here - I am sure the other forum members have a plenty of that for you :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

sure, why not

1 Like

Here it is

thx..So you want to extend sda5 ?

Not only extend it fully, but i want to make two partitions out of it, which i am not able to do :slightly_frowning_face:

Do you have any operation system on it ?

Oops.
Exactly what my daughter-in-law did for her partitioning.
We tried to fix it for about a 3 hours before we gave up and went for a clean install.
At least it was in-salvageable for me.

Yes zorin os itself (primary os)

You only can resize (except expanding by moving the right border; depending on the file system) partitions that are unmounted.

Every partition that is in use by your system is mounted. You can see it in gParted when there is this key symbol right to the partition name.

So you have to unmount the partitions inside the extended partition (sda4) and then the extended partition (sda5) itself. This is done by selecting "unmount" in the context menu of the partition in gParted.

But stop! Ubuntu will not allow you to unmount the partitions it is running from. Therefore, you have to boot your PC from a live medium (e.g. Zorin installation DVD) and run gParted inside this live sessions, where no hard disk partitions are mounted.

Note that partitioning is always dangerous and can lead to data loss or errors at boot time. So make sure your backups are valid and up to date!

But yes, as @FrenchPress suggested, best way is clean install.
Make a backup of your files, data etc and go on :slight_smile:

I think the danger of losing data in manipulating partition is much greater than backup and clean install scheme.

1 Like

The thing is that my parents don't allow me to use my laptop for much hours after online classes, hence formatting and fresh install takes time (especially in HDD, i think) plus i cannot finish my homeworks during the process

You can bring your mom and dad here.
We can convince them that you need all those hours to fix your Linux installation, not to hack into the Pentagon.

Of course you can always wait for a holiday season.

1 Like

yes i forgot :rofl:

Installing Zorin OS does not take several hours.:expressionless: