Trapped inside logical partition

Well, we are talking about converting a logical partition into a primary. Do you have any idea how to do it without losing data?

@Aravisian Correct me if I am wrong. I once thought you could replace Ubuntu (or Ubuntu based) OS with Zorin by overwriting /root with Zorin, whilst retaining /home intact.
(But always backup /home in any case).

Not with any margin of safety. I would go for a standard resintallation with a proper back up. Trying to squeeze a round peg into a square hole is complicated and dangerous. It is so much easier to do it right the first time than to try to squeeze the corners.
Reinstallation has far more to do with the fear that precedes it than it does with the actual process.

As above- you can... But you need to watch your step and a mistake will send you to Reinstallation anyway. For an experienced user that has done it several times - sure. But for a student who cannot afford to risk their data, I would not want to go that route.

1 Like

Also this. Another element of fear - which does not help.

1 Like

The father is more than welcome to join the forum and we can all work together on the project.

I've already don that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys good news. GParted helped me extend the main partition over the last partition.

1 Like

Now it looks somewhat like this

The problem now is that i want to extend the partition over the unallocated space behind my main partition.

In our case, I created another primary partition behind this extended partition and tried to move the partition trapped inside the extended partition to that new primly partition.

As I said before, nothing worked.

That unallocated looks like it used to be an EFI partition or a recovery partition. 500 Megs?

I think he meant to use the unused part of the current partition. As you know if the whole thing is in a primary partition, it is a piece of cake to add another partition. But currently, the installation is "trapped" within an extended partition. For me there is no escape.
[edit]
Now we deviated very far from the OP's question, I will create a new thread and move a part of this thread.

Sure do it

We are already warped :wink:

yes saw that xD
and @Aravisian you are right that 500 megs are efi recovery, which i formatted fully.

1 Like

and @FrenchPress one more favour, as you are the community moderator, could you please remove the conversation where i said the swear word.

1 Like

You can delete your own message.
Just click the three dot in the corner of that message.
One of the options should be "delete".

If you wish to utterly reclaim space in gparted, select the Space you wish to modify, then hit the (-) button to Delete The Partition.
Then use the resize tool on your existing other partition to slide it into that space.

He cannot.
All his OS and personal date is on this trapped partition.
And if he makes any mistake, he will be in trouble with his dad.

The 500 meg one.

He will not be able to install another OS on such a small partition. He wants to install Ubuntu along side with Zorin.