Unable to login into Zorin OS Lite 15

No, i mean it's installed on an USB

USB memory?
Or USB connected external drive?

1 Like

Yes, USB memory. Like I installed Zorin on it.

Since I've never installed Linux on a USB memory, I have no idea how it might affect the booting procedure. I hope other people on this forum would pitch in and help you.

Can you try telling me the procedures that you would do if it was installed on a hard drive? Might work.

Also, can we possibly communicate somewhere else (if its not against the rules or something) like discord?

Please have a look at this installation checklist. Before you install

Make sure you have the basics set correctly e.g. secure boot etc.

Like FP I have no experience of installing ZorinOS on a USB stick and have not seen many on here who have tried that approach.

1. I think it's ok, since everything worked fine, maybe i deleted something that caused the error?
  2. PC doesn't have Secure Boot
  3. No windows
  4. ^^
  5. Yes it is working fine

Can you try telling me the normal or usual ways? Might work

@zabadabadoo @FrenchPress
Would a video of how it boots/few other things help?

This tutorial is for Mint Linux, but it might help:

Well, never say never :wink:
It seems way more deveoped than you and I have thought.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-best-linux-distros-installation-usb-stick/

Screenshots may be of use for us to see what you are seeing.
Also some details of the spec of your machine e.g. CPU, RAM, Graphics may be useful.

I trust you do realise that running ZorinOS from a USB stick will be performance limited by USB throughput.

Oops, I gave a wrong information.
I do have Linux installed on a USB memory. It is MXLinux for Raspberry Pi. It runs faster and is more stable than microSD card in RasPi. But it never occurred to me to install AMD64(x86-64) based system on a USB memory.

Yea, I'll get some screenshots / video in a moment. Along with hw info

Yea, i found zorin through an article like this.

I have been searching the Forum for other instances of Zorin installed on USB stick (not as live USB), but cannot find anything useful I'm afraid.

Just read this line in the site I made a link:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-best-linux-distros-installation-usb-stick/

You can now get a 256GB stick with as much storage as your laptop, and it won't cost you much money.

A word of caution.
Watch out for those USB memories (and SD cards) with fake capacity claims. I was burned several times in past. If anyone decides to purchase a large capacity memory, I recommend running a test on it:

@FrenchPress @zabadabadoo
Alright, here are all specs

USB: SanDisk Dual Drive m3.0 16GB (ik its low xD)

PC: Dell Inspiron 1545
CPU: Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo T4200 @2.0 GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Intel GM45

I'll try the article FP sent and let you know soon. Also, i have to go to recovery mode to access the terminal btw

I think that this is your problem: You have run out of space. In addition to what is used, Linux sets the software space requirements in Blocks. You need a certain amount of Free space in addition to used space since expansion room must be maintained for Updates (part of why you do not need to defrag Linux).

I regularly check my disk and clean up space. I had 1GB of free memory

1 Like

Yep. That is not enough. You could run a most basic system on less than that even, but not if you do anything even slightly advanced, install any apps... really, the Minimum requirements are almost impishly difficult to reach. :smiley:

I would highly recommend a minimum 64gig stick for the function you are using. Error logs that accrue over time in Root would be enough to make a small USB drive wobble.

1 Like