Unknown application updates

Hi everyone,

I've noticed the Software Updater pops up showing me these package updates available:

But I cannot see anything when I run the update command from the terminal using sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade.

A while back I opened another thread asking for advice on how to disable these types of updates, but this time around I'd simply like to know more about them.

I would assume they are safe to install but I don't really understand where they are coming from. For example I'm not using anything related to KDE Application Platform I don't think? They are also quite large in size so that makes me a little more cautious.

This is on Z16 Pro which I recently installed.

Thanks, cheers!

These may be portions of Flatpak packages - which is why I do not see them on mine as I remove Flatpak entirely.

You can check with

flatpak list

or running the flatpak updater.

That seems to be it, there are a bunch of apps installed as flatpaks. Surprisingly that includes the Zorin themes? Is it safe to uninstall flatpak in a system that uses these? (just asking, I have no intention of doing it since things work fine at the moment).

It's also interesting to see that a lot of these updates are a lot smaller than the size reported on the Software Store (snippet below, scroll all the way to the right). Although the update through the terminal took just a few seconds and the update notifications are now all gone :man_shrugging:

$ flatpak update

Looking for updates…
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.
Info: org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel//18.08 is end-of-life, with reason:
   The Freedesktop SDK 18.08 runtime is no longer supported as of 31th August 2020. Please ask your application developer to migrate to a supported platform.

ID                                                               Branch                  Op              Remote               Download
 1.     org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                             18.08                   i               flathub               < 1.8 MB
 2.     org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                             20.08                   i               flathub              < 11.6 MB
 3.     org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                             21.08                   i               flathub              < 11.8 MB
 4.     org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs                            18.08                   i               flathub               < 3.3 MB
 5.     org.kde.PlatformTheme.QGnomePlatform                             5.15                    i               flathub               < 9.7 MB
 6.     org.kde.PlatformTheme.QGnomePlatform                             5.15-21.08              i               flathub              < 10.0 MB
 7.     org.kde.PlatformTheme.QtSNI                                      5.15                    i               flathub               < 1.3 MB
 8.     org.kde.PlatformTheme.QtSNI                                      5.15-21.08              i               flathub               < 1.3 MB
 9.     org.kde.WaylandDecoration.QGnomePlatform-decoration              5.15                    i               flathub              < 10.2 MB
10.     org.kde.WaylandDecoration.QGnomePlatform-decoration              5.15-21.08              i               flathub              < 10.5 MB

Yes, it is safe to remove if you are removing Flatpak. The Zorin Themes are included as Flatpaks, but are also included as standard installed themes.

That seems like an odd thing to do? Is it to preserve the chosen theme and color scheme when opening one of the other programs installed as a flatpak as well?

Is there any downside in leaving flatpak installed? I've read somewhere that snap packages can slow down your system as they are mounted as volumes, but I'm not sure if there are any issues with flatpaks in this regard?

Only that it can take up a bit of space on the drive. Other than that, I can think of no detrimental affects.

I have wondered the same. I am not sure why; it may be to ensure Flatpak packages exist for the repo - or it may be to ensure consistent theming.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.