Updated Zorin 16 Base, External Monitor No Longer Detected

nvidia driver was installed already and yes secure boot is disabled

I think your issue is related to this recent bug:

I am currently reverted back to -27 kernel and pinned it till the fix comes.

oh yes we've talked about it earlier in the thread, the kernel change definitely works

1 Like

People on the linux mint forum also report issues with this kernel, weird that i am not affected lol.

1 Like

I think it only affects NVidia users.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Zorin 16 with Intel graphics got blank screen

I am a nvidia user. Gtx 1070 8gb in my acer laptop.

and you are using 5.11.0-34 kernel without any issue?

That is correct, after kernel update i only had to reinstall my nvidia driver from the nvidia site. Running the 5.11.0-34 kernel since it popped up as update.

That is one thing I did not try.

I just rolled back to -27 and decided to wait for next kernel update.

I wonder which one is easier for beginners - roll back to previous kernel or install NVidia driver manually.

1 Like

I am new to linux as well, i managed to do it.

You are very advanced beginner :slight_smile:
I am thinking of someone like my daughter-in-law who almost exclusively uses GUI.

I did learn years ago with mint 17.x, after that i returned to windows 10 because of the games i played.

Since i used mint i was always like...someday linux will be my os to run. Because it can be heavy customized and respects the privacy of its users.

I tried elemantory os in 2016, didnt like it.

A month ago i saw good reviews about zorin os 16, decided to give it a chance and pfffff i felt in love with it. In the days i tested linux mint 17 i tried zorin as well, but i had alot issues with it 8 years ago. Now its super stable and i didnt encouter the freezing issues i had back then with mint 17.x and zorin.

1 Like

So as my daughter-in-law :slight_smile:
She could not stand it so I had to replace it with Peppermint OS for her old netbook. It seems either one likes Elementary or dislikes it ...nothing in-between.

Anyway, you sound as proficient as myself if not more in Linux.

1 Like

The weird thing is, i always keep comming back to (or thinking about) linux because i want to learn how things works and i want to get rid of windows :sunglasses:. The only thing why i still have windows in dual boot is because i need to sort out how i get some games to work under linux.

Since i got a daughter (baby) 1 month ago i dont even have time to game, i keep booting in zorin anyway haha.

1 Like

Ah, proud happy father :baby:

Linux is a great OS to experiment with.
One great advantage is that we can install/uninstall/reinstall it as many times as we want without bothering with activation with M$.

1 Like

That's correct :slight_smile:

Anyway here is a screenshot from my kernel and nvidia driver. No issues here with the kernel and very stable.

https://imgur.com/2fSmiQj.png

1 Like

Thanks for this additional info!

Kernels and Nvidia (and AMD too) can be pretty hit and miss. Some people have no issues - Some do.

You think the actual model of GPUs makes a difference?