Updating Zorin

I'm freshly updating my Zorin 15.3 since I leave Zorin 16 lite cause it have a bug (or I don't know if it was a bug or it was just me) that bugs me. Anyway, as you can see, there's error in updating. I have internet connection cause I'm able to post here. First update install, that's it. I wonder what is the real problem. (Quite a headache)

2 Likes

Have you selected the right server?

1 Like

i.e. "Main Server"

by default it was in there. It was fixed all of a sudden and I don't know what it cause it. Suddenly, when I do sudo apt update after I restart my laptop, it says everything is updated. Same with the upgrades

2 Likes

Rui07,
why have you gone installing 15.3. If I'm right, you just upgraded the RAM.
You also showed some print screens while multitasking, was that Zorin16?

1 Like

Yes. The reason why I go back to Zorin 15.3 are:

Screen tearing come back and go even after the solution I posted last time.
Sometimes I go black screen for a bit while doing something.
Just like in Linux Mint, my laptop freezes. I don't know why because my ram isn't even in 2gb but it already doing swap (given that I already give swappiness value of 15)
Lastly, the reason of why my laptop suddenly goes to the repair shop, when going to login I get a weird noise. Just when logging in and only in Zorin 16. never heard in Zorin 15 even before I have my laptop clean. So I'm guessing there's a lot of writing stuff in hard disk or anything that makes my laptop run more than the usual. But, I'd like to admit that the ram usage of Zorin 16 is lesser than Zorin 15.3, and I don't know why. In any case, I'll just go with 15 so I can focus on what I should do (so I can start income already with freelancing) rather than thinking of why things happening to my laptop.

1 Like

I think downgrading the kernel could have helped....I also hade problems with kernel 5.11 and all of them were solved when I updated to 5.13. If you had lesser problems with kernel 5.04 (Z 15.3 uses kernel 5.04, right?) you could have downgraded to that version. Anyway you should use whatever fits you best.

1 Like

Im not yet in that level that knows how to downgrade nor upgrade Kernel. I'll learn it next time. For now, I'll learn what I should learn. hahahaha

4 Likes

Hmmm I guess my worry in Zorin 16 isn't just in 16. I guess I should understand this more:

Seeing the Htop sys-monitor I guess you're already using the Zorin Lite version.
I also remembering you installed a second 4GB memory. Did that go alright, you sure that not causing problems.

1 Like

Well, the one who installed it was from the repair shop. They check it before installing so I think its working fine. Also, it already happened before the installation of the second ram so I will not think it was about that ram.

2 Likes

I post it here cause it also about updating: I can't update in terminal and software updater always says failed update. I don't know if that error affects but I can't see it in the list in the software update setting so I don't know how to get rid of it. I searched already but didn't find a solution to this one. I know there is something to update cause in software center, there is list of updates.

Does sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:https://pkg.cloudflareclient.com work?

Didn't work. I'll try to play with it to see how it will work.

I'd like to add that I do tried to do this solution before but that link of cloudfare are not on the source list.

Even with purge, it didn't work

You only need to remove the CloudFlare repository. That repository does not have a Bionic (Zorin 15) release file.
Since there is none, the repository is useless. As a dead repo, it can create conflicts with apt, since it can cause updates to halt while apt tries to sort out the broken repository.
You can remove it in Software & Updates or by removing the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudflare-main.list

1 Like

I can't remove it in software updates. Let say, it isn't listed there. That's why I become clueless.

removing cloudflare-main.list works though. Thanks a lot!

sudo -i

Zorin Core:

nautilus

Zorin Lite:

thunar

Navigate to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and look for the cloudflare file.

1 Like

Hello all.
I have one question. Can I update Zorin xfce to Zorin 16 xfce Pro? Zorin 16 Pro xfce is also with some packages Gnome?
I wondering if I can do that and test that if not good then back to Zorin xfce. Now I am on xfce. Still have some problems with black screen but this is hardware problem.

You can install Pro.
You can also insert your Pro Lite installation Medium and install from the medium to "upgrade" your Zorin OS Lite to Zorin OS Lite Pro.