Upgrade Kernel

Which version did you try?
If your hardware is a newish one, you need a hardware enablement version (with kernel 5 series).

Latest one, think it was beta, MX-21 xfce

Latest ones also have series 4 kernel and series 5 kernel.
What you need is this:

MX-19.4.1_x64 “ahs”, an “Advanced Hardware Support” release for very recent hardware, with 5.10 kernel and newer graphics drivers and firmware. 64 bit only. Works for all users, but especially if you use AMD Ryzen, AMD Radeon RX graphics, or 9th/10th/11th generation Intel hardware.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know
But I am happy here, with Zorin :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are OK with systemD, Zorin is the best distro :slight_smile:
I am using arm version of MX as our Wordpress server.

1 Like

I am install Kernel 5.13 on Zorin 16 pro, its work fine.

Screenshot from 2021-08-26 20-29-08

No libc6 2.33 dependency?

Yeah i got that message when i try the 5.14 kernel. Gaved me a error about libc6 2.33.

Any idea's how to bypass that ? or how to install libc6 ?

Installing libc6 2.33 on Zorin OS will break a lot of stuff. The integrated packages are set to the Focal Fossa Universe.

Which... honestly, should be more than high enough.

As it stands right now, there is no easy way of installing higher than the 5.11 kernel as the end user. ZorinGroup may update the kernel in time, bypassing that problem.
I do not think this is unrealistic as Zorin OS 16 released with the 5.11 kernel.

Focal Fossa Universe is a ubuntu 20.04 release right ??? that's what zorin os 16 i based on.

1 Like

Yup.
With Zorin OS using the 5.11 kernel, what this means is net-searching troubleshooting for either Ubuntu 21.04 or 20.04 will likely lead to solutions that also apply to Zorin OS.

So far i found this, can you please tell me what can go wrong ?

If i am not wrong it is posted here -> https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/21.04/ubuntu-main-amd64/libc6_2.33-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb.html

"Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on
the system. This package includes shared versions of the standard C library
and the standard math library, as well as many others."

This statement is true. However, this statement would be true and still not be applicable to installing it on Ubuntu 14.04 (as a clear example of a much older system).
This is because the packages installed in Ubuntu 14.04 would direct toward the highest known version, not the version listed in libc6 2.33. Libc6 2.33 becomes an unknown and unrecognized package to a system that does not list it as a dependency.
So for backwards compatibility, it is fine. But not for forwards compatibility.

Well don't get me wrong, but this package got released in march 21, it's designed for ubuntu 21.04, 20.04 and so on. Zorin OS is based on 20.04 ... so technically how can you break things ????

I am new to linux but i want to understand. I assume all packages are up-to-date in Zorin OS 16

Where are you finding it stated that libc6 2.33 is for 20.04? All the information I have places its soonest appearance in the Testing 20.10 and even then it was iffy...

Don't get me wrong. I have no qualms about being happily corrected; My intent is to help, not be right.
I wouldn't want to see anyone damage their system.

One thing we could do is load up a test rig of Zorin OS 16, install libc6 2.33 and run it through its paces and see what happens.

I think i misread, they upgraded the LTS to 21.04 ?

Yep, that's the ticket. That guide upgrades Ubuntu up to 21.04.

Kernel upgrade 5.13 and 5.14 guide

1 Like

Zorin will update a kernel ?
Mx Linux and POP OS have a 15.4 checked and because i have them one on hdd next on pendrive.

Does this include the Libc6 bug?