Upgrade Kernel

So far i found this, can you please tell me what can go wrong ?

If i am not wrong it is posted here -> https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/21.04/ubuntu-main-amd64/libc6_2.33-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb.html

"Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on
the system. This package includes shared versions of the standard C library
and the standard math library, as well as many others."

This statement is true. However, this statement would be true and still not be applicable to installing it on Ubuntu 14.04 (as a clear example of a much older system).
This is because the packages installed in Ubuntu 14.04 would direct toward the highest known version, not the version listed in libc6 2.33. Libc6 2.33 becomes an unknown and unrecognized package to a system that does not list it as a dependency.
So for backwards compatibility, it is fine. But not for forwards compatibility.

Well don't get me wrong, but this package got released in march 21, it's designed for ubuntu 21.04, 20.04 and so on. Zorin OS is based on 20.04 ... so technically how can you break things ????

I am new to linux but i want to understand. I assume all packages are up-to-date in Zorin OS 16

Where are you finding it stated that libc6 2.33 is for 20.04? All the information I have places its soonest appearance in the Testing 20.10 and even then it was iffy...

Don't get me wrong. I have no qualms about being happily corrected; My intent is to help, not be right.
I wouldn't want to see anyone damage their system.

One thing we could do is load up a test rig of Zorin OS 16, install libc6 2.33 and run it through its paces and see what happens.

I think i misread, they upgraded the LTS to 21.04 ?

Yep, that's the ticket. That guide upgrades Ubuntu up to 21.04.

Kernel upgrade 5.13 and 5.14 guide

1 Like

Zorin will update a kernel ?
Mx Linux and POP OS have a 15.4 checked and because i have them one on hdd next on pendrive.

Does this include the Libc6 bug?

Pop! OS is not on 15.4, heck there is not even a kernel like that. Pop! uses 5.13 and MX Linux 21 xcfe in live boot 5.10

Typo - he meant 5.14.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://news.itsfoss.com/linux-kernel-5-15-release/&ved=2ahUKEwid2YGdt_jzAhVDmYsKHUYqBU4QFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw33kH5KwTgTg4DTksfIW2I5

My Kernel.

OMG how fast is it like a rocket. Really very stable. Tried on games what before was crashing. Yeah cool.

Install kernel 5.15

1. Add the tuxinvader repo. In terminal write:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline -y

1. Update the repo. In terminal write,

sudo apt update

1. Install the kernel, in terminal write:

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-5.15

1. Now write reboot in the terminal
  2. To check your kernel write in terminal

uname -r

Correction: Step 1: Thoroughly back up all personal data.

The kernel 5.15 is not stably tested on Zorin OS 16.

2 Likes

Correction: Step2: Make the entire disk image backup using either Rescuezilla or Clonezilla before attempting anything risky (like updating to the untested kernel).

2 Likes

Exactly! Agreed 100%

And I will tell you something else. I am not going to install any REPO on my machine that is named TUXINVADOR. :flushed:

LOL Tuxinvador is quite the expert.

And I am stupid, still aint adding it though

It was a guide posted by me for users who wanted to test and wanted to know how bourne got it installed.

I do not recommend it if you use your os daily. Only if you are testing and dont care if you need to reinstall.

1 Like