Upgrade ZorinOS Tool never stops looking for upgrades

I only used vivaldi browser for a short while when I first switched to Linux. Curiously, although I was able to delete vivaldi.list.save, I did not find vivaldi.list. That may be why I got the following errors.

jim@Jims-Ryzen-Desktop:~$ sudo -i
root@Jims-Ryzen-Desktop:~# nautilus

** (org.gnome.Nautilus:100979): WARNING **: 17:05:24.591: Unable to get contents of the bookmarks file: Error opening file /root/.gtk-bookmarks: No such file or directory

** (org.gnome.Nautilus:100979): WARNING **: 17:05:24.591: Unable to get contents of the bookmarks file: Error opening file /root/.gtk-bookmarks: No such file or directory
Nautilus-Share-Message: 17:05:24.695: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: Failed to execute child process “net” (No such file or directory)
Nautilus-Share-Message: 17:06:02.165: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: Failed to execute child process “net” (No such file or directory)

Your Bookmarks and other personalized configurations are stored in /home/&USER (your Home directory) since they are user specific.
When you elevate to root with the file manager, you are leaving the Home Directory and opening Nautilus in Root - a place where the bookmarks and configurations are not stored. So, it cannot find them. Those are just a warning from nautilus that can be ignored since it is expected that it cannot find the bookmarks in Root instead of home.

In the listing of the directory contents, the vivaldi.list file does show, so I can only suggest double checking for it.

I cannot explain why vivaldi.list is not there. As root, I did a directory list using a terminal.

root@Jims-Ryzen-Desktop:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# ls
docker.list
rock-core-ubuntu-qt4-focal.list
stefansundin-ubuntu-truecrypt-focal.list
stefansundin-ubuntu-truecrypt-focal.list.save
zorin.list
zorin.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-apps-focal.list
zorinos-ubuntu-apps-focal.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-drivers-focal.list
zorinos-ubuntu-drivers-focal.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-patches-focal.list
zorinos-ubuntu-patches-focal.list.save
zorinos-ubuntu-stable-focal.list
zorinos-ubuntu-stable-focal.list.save
root@Jims-Ryzen-Desktop:/etc/apt/sources.list.d#

Well, I'd say we can live with a minor mystery and move forward.
:wink:

I moved forward. The install took about 30 mins up to the 'Cleaning up' step. This step ran for over 2 hours. I expected this step to be very quick. It finally quit and reported 'a few minor errors'. It does seem that stuff is missing such as Firefox (which I have already re-installed). None of my homemade python apps, such as my password manager, are working. I can probably figure this out myself. (I spoke too soon. only 2 of my 5 homemade apps that I use all of the time are not running. The other 3 are.) Later the same day, I have resolved the issues with my Python apps by installing PyClip. It was missing in action.

Note that I cannot restart nor shutdown. The system just keeps running. Eventually, I will have to crash the system, I think.

Note that some system functions are extremely slow. It takes over a minute for the Settings app to start up and another full minute for it to shutdown. It takes several minutes for its data displays to update. If left alone, I eventually am told that it isn't responding. I can kill it using the provided 'Force Quit' button.

Please have a look at the result presented at the end of the install:
Upgrade Started
[PREPARING] Started
[PREPARING:Validating Upgrade Attempt] Started
[PREPARING:Validating Upgrade Attempt] Completed
[PREPARING:Creating Necessary Files] Started
[PREPARING:Creating Necessary Files] Completed
[PREPARING:Adding GPG Keys] Started
[PREPARING:Adding GPG Keys] Completed
[PREPARING:Restarting Apt] Started
[PREPARING:Restarting Apt] Completed
[PREPARING] Completed
[INSTALLING NEW APPS] Started
[INSTALLING NEW APPS:Flatpak] Started
[INSTALLING NEW APPS:Flatpak] Completed
[INSTALLING NEW APPS] Completed
[SOFTWARE CHANNELS] Started
[SOFTWARE CHANNELS:Processing Repos] Started
[SOFTWARE CHANNELS:Processing Repos] Completed
[SOFTWARE CHANNELS:Adding Repos] Started
[SOFTWARE CHANNELS:Adding Repos] Completed
[SOFTWARE CHANNELS:Updating Apt Cache] Started
[SOFTWARE CHANNELS:Updating Apt Cache] Completed
[SOFTWARE CHANNELS] Completed
[INSTALLING UPGRADES] Started
[INSTALLING UPGRADES:Apt > Calculating Upgradeable Packages] Started
[INSTALLING UPGRADES:Apt > Calculating Upgradeable Packages] Completed
[INSTALLING UPGRADES:Apt > Committing Upgrades] Started
[INSTALLING UPGRADES:Apt > Committing Upgrades] Completed
[INSTALLING UPGRADES] Completed
[CLEANING] Started
[CLEANING:Apt Remove] Started
[CLEANING:Apt Remove] Error: { GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying }
[CLEANING:Apt Remove] Failed
[CLEANING:Apt AutoRemove] Started
[CLEANING:Apt AutoRemove] Completed
[CLEANING:Apt Clean] Started
[CLEANING:Apt Clean] Error: { GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying }
[CLEANING:Apt Clean] Failed
[CLEANING] Completed
[FINISHING] Started
[FINISHING] Completed
Upgrade Completed With Errors

This report the system generated does not provide a whole lot to go on.

If the system is working, I would start with a general cleaning, first.
Remove any leftover packages or automatically installed packages

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoclean && sudo apt autoremove

Make sure everything is configured

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Ensure everything is up to date:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Note any errors from the above, if any.

A lot has happened since I made the last edits to the above post a short while ago. Let me cut to the chase and just say that I now have the machine running at normal speed, my python apps are running, the Settings app is running normally, I have restarted the system successfully. This restart solved a lot once I was able to get the system to do it.

I am still encountering issues which I will try to resolve before I post anything more. My biggest headache right now is that the newly installed Firefox does not know anything about the previous installation ... no profile. I have tried various ways to import this from the old install without success. However, I find that the old Firefox is still there. So I am just using it instead of the new one. The firefox icon on the taskbar was gone, but I found 2 entries for Firefox in the Z menu ... one being the old one which remembers everything ... very important. I think I was forced to install Firefox using pip which may explain how I have two installs.

Thanks for all of your quick support. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

FYI. info how to backup your Firefox Profile starts here: Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles | Firefox Help

I tend to keep a backup, just in case, know what I mean :wink:

Thanks. I will read that. However, I believe that my old profile must still be there. I have to instances of Firefox now. If I start the old one, it remembers everything. If I start the newly installed one, it does not remember everything. I have looked at the profiles for Firefox in /home/jim/.mozilla/firefox and I find:
phh3pgtj.default-release
6qxxtzjw.default-release-1
Both instances give the same version number, but the old one is snap and the new one is flatpack. Is there any reason why I should favor the flatpack version over the snap version? If not, I will just eliminate the flatpack install and done. Otherwise, I will try renaming the profile files. Or I might try replacing the contents of the -release-1 file with those of the -release file. It might take a bit of fiddling.

re: Firefox after version 17 upgrade
Both instances give the same version number, but the old one is snap and the new one is flatpack. Is there any reason why I should favor the flatpack version over the snap version?

The standard package format is through APT (Advanced Package Tool).
Flatpak and Snap are both alternatives to APT. They both are more limited in user control.

On GnuLinux, we use sudo which sandboxes Root from the user space.
Flatpak and Snap both snadbox applications from root and from the user space, thereby double sandboxing it. Due to this, Snap and Flatpak both struggle to access system files when necessary to do so.

There is good reason to favor Flatpak over Snap:
Flatpak is more featured and versatile, allowing you to use Flatseal to manage permissions and create access points for an application.

You have a third option: Remove the snap and flatpak versions and install a standard APT supplied Firefox Build:

Although I am afraid that I will not be able to recover all of the tabs and settings, I will probably uninstall both the snap and flatpack installs. I did not know I installed those two types of installs. I thought that I always used apt to install except for when I have used the Software utility that comes with Zorin.

@JimH I was reading through your posts. I have Firefox flatpak version and a builds version (had to do that to get around a xdg-desktop-portal-gnome issue) Maybe try searching your system for two copies of "firefox" program I have one in /opt and the other in /lib

Just my two cents worth. :slight_smile:

You can install the .deb package and make sure it accepts your migration before removing Snap or Flatpak version.

Thank-you for that. It gave me the confidence to go ahead with the apt install of firefox. However, sudo apt install firefox gives the following message:

firefox is already the newest version (1:1snap1-0ubuntu2).

jim@Jims-Ryzen-Desktop:~/.mozilla/firefox.save$ which firefox
/usr/bin/firefox

I may have to uninstall the snap version before I can install it using apt and that is the instance that has all my tabs.

No, please see the link I posted previously.
If you install Firefox from terminal on Zorin OS 17, the Gnome Software Store will try to install the Snap, due to Canonical setting it up that way, even if you use APT.
(It has a redirect without informing the user...)

Please read the links provided previously to properly set up the repository for installing the .deb package - Or you can just download the .deb package directly
and double click it to install.

I should have realized that the blue phrase was a link. I have now followed it and its instructions. I have the .deb install completed. Please note:

1. I ran 'firefox -P' from the terminal. None of the 3 profiles provided proved to have my latest tabs, etc. However, after some exploratory work I managed to move files around in the profile folders such that I now have all of my tabs and presentation formats back.
  2. I have apparently tossed my cookies because the Zorin Forum website asked me to sign-in again even though it was still showing the most recent posts.
  3. I do not know how to un-install the snap and flatpack versions.
  4. The sudo apt update revealed 20 package updates available. I'm a bit afraid to do these updates. It seems strange that there would be so many.

These are safe. I would recommend upgrading.

sudo apt upgrade

You can use

sudo snap remove firefox

and

flatpak uninstall org.mozilla.firefox

As always, thanks for your help. I did the updates and uninstalled the snap and flatpak firefox installs. Software Updates reports the system to be up-to-date.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.