Vgscan does not find volume group (LVM disk combining)

My file manager looking different: Moebius theme with A eolus icons.

Ok… Right off the bat, for you to have Volume groups, this would need for groups to have been created. Your system automatically runs vgscan on its own at boot up and whenever a change is made to LVM or a group created.

I cannot vouch for whatever that video was trying to do that you linked to… I might ask what Your Personal Aim to achieve is; that we may help you to achieve that.

Cool. I’m trying to have an enormous drive for like my documents and music and pictures and downloads and install softwares (program files?) on there, and that’s about it. right now I have like 300 gb left of my ssd so I’m trying to combine it with a 3tb hdd (sda1) and maybe another 1tb hdd (sdb1).

Ok, and are those drives connected? Do they show with

sudo lvmdiskscan

yeah they show. connected? probably not did not make volume group:
root@therosehermit-desktop:/home/therosehermit# sudo lvmdiskscan
/dev/nvme0n1 [ 465.76 GiB]
/dev/nvme0n1p1 [ 93.13 GiB]
/dev/loop1 [ 55.46 MiB]
/dev/sda1 [ <2.73 TiB] LVM physical volume
/dev/nvme0n1p2 [ <3.73 GiB]
/dev/loop2 [ <64.77 MiB]
/dev/nvme0n1p3 [ <1.91 GiB]
/dev/loop3 [ <101.47 MiB]
/dev/loop4 [ 97.88 MiB]
/dev/nvme0n1p5 [ 6.67 GiB]
/dev/nvme0n1p6 [ <360.32 GiB]
/dev/sdb1 [ 931.51 GiB] LVM physical volume
0 disks
10 partitions
0 LVM physical volume whole disks
2 LVM physical volumes

Good, ok let's check for volume groups with

sudo vgdisplay -v

I'ma reply with the fancy looking quote box! feels less warm though :l

root@therosehermit-desktop:/home/therosehermit# sudo vgdisplay -v
No volume groups found.

1 Like

also

0 LVM physical volume whole disks

the heck is that?! lol

I could be wrong, so someone knowledgeable correct me if so, but I believe that is that an whole disk cannot be used to create a PV (Physical Volume). You need to build or create the volume groups on partitions.

Here is a quick Guide on creation of volumes:

Which I think will serve better than too many posts back and forth at the moment and better than a video as you can move at your own pace a step at a time.
Ima used it a fancy link box so now we are as cold as ice.

yeahh it just explains the process but not actually what's necessary to extend user files space. I still don't know how to create working volume group for that (nvme0n1p6 (/home) on my computer or maybe I need to target something similar to that?).

from your link: ''be sure that your new drives or partitions are formatted but NOT mounted prior to using the pvcreate command. Otherwise, you will see the following error:

[root@rhel ~]# pvcreate /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
Can't open /dev/sdb exclusively. Mounted filesystem?
Can't open /dev/sdc exclusively. Mounted filesystem?

''
but what does he mean by mounted because I'm trying to extend user files drive space how can that be empty? what should I do? can I format that or have it be "unmounted" (what does mounted even mean I'm not sure)?

Sorry I am multitasking. Evidently…

Mounted means that the drive is actively in use by you. A file system is mounted when it is in read/write state.

To alter a drive while it is unmounted, you MAY need to access using your installation media in order to have the drive unmounted in order to make changes to it (True across all OS’s, incl Mac and Windows). So, as an example, if you want to make Certain Changes to the volume or partitions of your Primay Drive, you would need to boot up using your Zorin 15 Installation Disk (or USB) in the Demo mode, then open a terminal, access the drive you wish to alter and you can mount or unmount the drive from the terminal, as well.

uhhh so you mean plug in the usb while keeping this installed version? also if it wasn’t mounted and I were to create the volume group then for (/dev/nvme0n1p6 (/home)), wouldn’t it not be saved?

mount and unmount from the terminal while in usb or installed? also how?

it’s alright fam multitask away you seem productively busy.

You ask smart questions.
Yes, it would be saved because the changes you would be making would be applicable to your current drive and installation, not to the Media you booted from.

This would be done with a series of terminal commands which I do not remember tham all off the top of my head in spite of doing it several times- I would need to look for a step by step guide.

To answer your "how" question, when youa re booted into the installation Demo media, that would be on your Optical drive or your USB- Let's say USB, so that would be sbd1
Your primary drive is usually sda1
See?
So in terminal, you could mount or unmount your primary while booted into the USB drive with

sudo mount /dev/sda1

and

sudo umount /dev/sda1

Yes, I seem to be having a moment here where it pours; I am also doing the shop and and it seems I cannot finish answering one question before another person comes up with a new one. Bouncing between answering the proper gear ratio for the speed gear for a Dana 7:62 and vgscan is a bit mind bendy.

ahhh... almost forgot:

what’s a Dana? lol

index

Dana Differential, in this case on a 1967 Dodge truck.

I am a classic car restoration mechanic. I play with Linux for fun, but it is not what I do for a living.

EDIT: Though your guess ain’t too bad, either.

it’s the first thing that pops out in google :joy:.

in my case I got /dev/nvme0n1 for primary. should I unmount just /dev/nveme0n1p6–not the whole entirety of the primary drive right?

what requires a series of terminal commands of which you do not remember?–so it’s not just plug usb and go unmount?

I’m multitasking with a snowblower right now, of which I am disappointed by both in terms of performance and the fact that the guy sold me a quasi-lemon.

Creating volumes on an unmounted drive. Yes, you can mount the Partition rather than entirety.

other than unmounting, can I create the physical volume for partition /dev/nveme0n1p6 while in usb mode too? or do I have to unmount -> reboot to normal-> create pv -> go back to usb to mount it again?