VirtualBox uninstall problem

So um I can no longer like for the day lmao. i also made maximum number of edits

can't edit anything, ouh nevermind I can edit, I just made maximum edits for one particular post I think?

You should learn how to consolidate your postings into one. It is not a Twitter and longer meaningful postings are more appreciated than short meaningless ones.

1 Like

Happy to receive anyone's help and appreciate it too. Not happy to turn off UEFI Secure Boot on a dual boot system with Win 10.

Neither Win 10 nor UEFI Secure Boot have cause the issue, it's the update to VirtualBox from what I can tell and I just need to remove it.

I can promise you I'm not trying to annoy anyone, it would be counterproductive especially as I intend to be a committed Zorin user and will likely be asking for further guidance in the coming months. You especially Aravisian helped me a couple of weeks ago with the Dell problem.

Thats what I do, I keep editing the post to add information. @Aravisian told me about it.

Kedric, I'll try that but is it OK for me to kill off the Terminal which still has the process running from before? It's waiting for me to say OK to this:

Lucky you.
Now you got 2 mentors on this forum :slight_smile:

Should be ok, you're not installing or deleting anything.

I understand your point of view. However, the trouble is that you also refuse to configure it. Do you see the issue here? You won't turn it off, but refuse to configure it, creating your own quandary.

This is what we are trying to explain: The virtualbox issue is a symptom not a cause.

Mate, thank you, I'm definitely on the same page about being careful, hence my reason for posting and asking for help. The enrolling an MOK worried me because I don't know the implications and it's also a third party driver and all a bit above my head.

Anyway, I appreciate your post and good luck Wisconsin :slight_smile:

In which case, you can just close the window as Tom suggested. This will bring us back to the original problem.
First, you need to be able to successfully run dpkg --configure .

Well I ran sudo dpkg --configure -a and that message is where it is now sat. OK, I'll kill the terminal and try that command you gave.

Did that, killed the terminal, tried the command Kedric gave sudo apt-get --fix-broken install and am now back at this again:

It's a bit of a loop and there is no way to say 'Not OK' and I certainly don't want to create a private MOK, especially for something which I'm actually trying to uninstall.

1 Like

Forbidden word, so I think you have to disable it, man. I don't think there is another way. My small brain doesn't really understand what secure boot do. Just give it a try and see any new problems come up.

Or, disable Secure boot temporarily.

The problem is that I can't successfully do this because it wants me to create a private MOK and it's not something I feel I should be messing with. Especially as I'm trying to uninstall the very thing that is asking me to create it....

Rory, can we take a couple steps back here?

First question: Did you install (Or try to install) VirtualBox?

Can you try sudo apt reinstall virtualbox? Then sudo apt remove virtualbox?

Sure, no problem.

I didn't install VirtualBox, it came preloaded with Zorin 16 Pro. I've no need for it, no use case at the moment.....maybe later when I get rid of Win 10 and get a bit more Linux savvy and want to try other distro's etc.

It's just been sat there. I'm healthily paranoid about security so all my systems are always fully patched with the latest updates and I it's the first thing I do when log in is to check for software updates. Same on my Win 10 system with Kaspersky and PatchMyPC, Windows updates etc.

This makes a lot more sense now.

So, when you went to remove it, it must be configured prior to removal. And thus: You began running into problems.

I understand your statement about healthily paranoid but in this case, you have reached a bump in the road.
The only thing I can do is ask that you trust me.

• I have no desire to sit here all day long trying to fix your system after I broke it. Because if I did anything to break it, I would not leave until I helped you fix it.
  • I have no desire to put you at risk from hackers or from wayward software, malicious or not.

The best thing you can do right now is Accept the Configuration for Secure Boot (MOK). I understand that it is something new; but that is a guided prompt that will not put you at any risk. Because once done, you will be Removing VirtualBox right after, anway.