What's going on with the Zorin OS 16 to 17 upgrade ...?

What's going on with the upgrade tool for folks going from Zorin OS 16 to 17? I'm on 17 Pro as a new Zorin user, but the time it's taking to enable existing Zorin OS 16 users to move on up to OS version 17 is starting to concern me as an user who'd like to stay with Zorin, long-term. OS upgrades should be a "Day One" thing, to be honest. If the timeline given was a week and Zorin Group delivered, then OK. Sure. I know they said a "few weeks," but it's starting to have been a month. Are they encountering difficulties? Or ... ? Would be nice if this bunch (the Zorin Group) was a tad more ... communicative? Ha. It makes me wonder what will happen when Zorin OS 18 comes out. Will there be a similar delay, or will it be a "Day One" upgrade?

3 Likes

Well ... Maybe that sounds a little bit unsatisfying, but: It takes as long as it takes.

3 Likes

Understood. But if that's gonna be the case, at least communicate.

Ya know? That's all.

3 Likes

I'm hoping the Upgrade feature is ready by then...lol I'd like to keep a positive mindset as I wait for this feature. I would've hoped it would be fully functioning by now. Better to work then to be rushed and not. So I'll just wait....

I will say, I just did the Mint XFCE upgrade the other day. Just days after I saw 'Virginia' (21.3) came out. I would think that is the goal the Z Group is trying to obtain. I think most of us, if not all, kind of thought it was close to being a done deal being the Upgrader was announced back in late June.
Just keeping positive thoughts here...

2 Likes

But what should they communicate? ''We are not ready''? I mean, that there are not ready is obvious because they are not ready. We know that, so I don't think it is necessary to tell that.

They could say that they are working on it. But that is an obvious Thing, too.

4 Likes

Even when the upgrade is available , I'll check here on the forum to see if there are bugs or issues before taking the plunge. :grinning: 16 has plenty of support time left. Running Zorin 17 in V-Box and it's been solid even in that environment. Zorin upgade being new feature needs to be well tested.

6 Likes

I get what you're saying. But look at it from a customer service perspective. People use Zorin OS because they like the OS. They support the Zorin Group. As such, it would be courteous (and sensible) to provide an updated ETA to those same people (end users who make possible the Zorin Group's livelihood).

1 Like

Ponce, not trying / attempting to prolong the topic, I'd just like you to see it from another perspective than you are currently looking at it. For new users, or users that have been using Core. Back in June the Upgrader was announced. Not being able to upgrade, but rather do a clean install every 2 yrs, has been mentioned quite often by those who have shied away from becoming a full fledged member of the Zorin community. Having it said this can be done may have many purchasing Pro to help support the cause, or wanting to upgrade Core to 17. So if someone has been using Core, purchased Pro they may become very disappointed by not being able to do the Upgrade, thus having to do a fresh install. Which may have a negative impact upon Zorin.
All Omnimaxus is saying, is for a mention of a timeframe. Transparency if you will. Which would only be a added benefit to all those looking to upgrade to 17. To keep things calm. To have everyone looking to upgrade in the loop. There's nothing wrong with having that opinion. And it's not just because I agree with it. But it makes the Zorin Project look that much better. That's just my take.

3 Likes

I installed Zorin 17 because of my Printer. That was the only Thing what doesn't work on Zorin 16. As I tried it with the Zorin 17 Beta and it works, I decided to install it when it is released.

1 Like

Yes, that is right. @Omnimaxus can have his/her Opinion like everyone else. I didn't deny him/her that. My Point is: When Zorin has something to say, I think they would say it. Maybe in the Newsletter or in the Blog.

I see the Problem with a Timeframe like that: When they would say it comes ... for Example End of January - only an Example. What happens when they didn't have it finished till that Date? I would think that then will come People and complaining that it isn't finished. So, I think it is better when they make an Announcement when they really have something.

2 Likes

I worked in customer service roles for more than 50 years, both in the field and in regional management and the golden rule we always stood by is 'Keep the customer informed'. Whether it's good news or not so good news, the customer deserves to know, so that they can adjust their plans accordingly. In my opinion, I really don't see any reason why this rule would not be applicable here.

7 Likes

Exactly. Thank you. You get it.

2 Likes

Agreed, communication is the base of any healthy relationship :smiley: Even between customers and business, and indeed even between open source software and their users.

5 Likes

Having different viewpoints and perspectives to politely offer, as is done in this thread, is a good thing.
Providing feedback is also a good thing.
@Ponce-De-Leon makes a valid point. It is an issue that a deadline or stated timeframe can have negative consequences if the target is not reached.
There are several key differences with Zorin OS 17 as compared to Zorin OS 16.

• Zorin OS 17 uses a different Gnome than Zorin OS 12, 15 or 16. This is made especially tricky due to added components to Gnome as well as the changes made between the 4+ series. Then you have the Gnome Extensions, which can have shell compatibility issues between the versions.
  • Zorin OS 17 Core uses Ubuntu 22.04 as a base, however, elevated to Gnome 43.
  • Zorin OS 17 was released post invasion. This is not a political post nor stance, merely a statement of fact. The Zorin family and friends who remain in Ukraine are a part of Zorin Life. It is not our place to choose sides, but instead to show understanding and support for things that no person should have to go through.

Being understanding and supportive is not a one way street. @T_Shep really put this quite well.
Communication is crucial and any communication is better than none. A quick note from the ZorinGroup each of these past few weeks ("Hope all is well. We just got all repositories upgrades set up. Stay tuned") would have had massive effects on the number of threads and questions about the Zorin 16 > 17 upgrader.
An informed customer is always a happier customer than an uninformed one.

7 Likes

Aravisian - I thought Zorin OS was developed in Ireland? Slava Ukraini!

The brothers Artyom and Kyrill Zorin are Ukrainian/Irish. Their Father (Who was the original inspiration for Zorin OS as they watched him shake his fist at Windows OS) worked in Ireland as a translator.
They currently live and operate out of Ireland.

5 Likes

Well! Now I feel like I have another reason for supporting the Zorin Group.

1 Like

I have a dual drive dual boot with Win 11 for work reasons, so I'm waiting for the upgrade.

2 Likes

Thank you for this excellent contribution to the discussion.

1 Like

I have a Dual Boot System, too. But with Win10. I keep that till October 2025. Then the Support for Win10 will ends. Win11 was ... how can I call it ... in Germany, you would say ''Der Tropfen, der das Fass zum Überlaufen brachte''. When DeepL translate it right: The Straw that broke the Camel's Back. It was the Pount where I tought ''No, it is enough now.'' But I didn't want to rush the Things. So I take Time for the Change.

5 Likes